In response to Scoobert
What health care? They cute most non-essensial stuff ( optomatrists, minor surgeries, a hell of a lot of scans ) and the waiting lists for major stuff are like 6 months to a year long x.x; add to it the consant shortage of medical staff and all the labour disputes, and health-care pretty much grinds to a halt @.@

El
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
When I say it, I say "a bout". It's neither "oo" (as in "aboot"), "ah-oo", (as in "abahwoot") nor "oh-oo" (as in "abowoot"): it's "uh-oo". "Abuhwoot", if that makes any sense.

That does; but "uh-oo" is pretty close to "oh-oo" when pronounced as a diphthong, and is a pretty bad accent to have. "Ah-oo" would be the correct; it's supposed to be a short O (not short a U) followed by "oo".

(Frankly, I find that the Americans got things mixed up. How the heck can you say roof as "roouhff" instead of "roof"? Same goes for boot.

I've never heard that.

I don't really see how I got suckered into that argument, though; it's not the matter of the pronunciation I'm fighting, it's the fact that many Americans perpetrate "aboot" as fact -- of all the ones spreading accent arguments (about 1 in every 10 I've met online think that we say "aboot"), you're the only one that hasn't claimed "aboot", but you're simply making a variation on it.

"Aboot" is definitely a misconception and I always argue the case whenever it comes up--whether with Americans or Canadians. But "aboaut" I've actually heard, a lot, so that one's not a misconception.

In other words, I couldn't care less if it was "abowoot" or even "sploink"; I'm not really fighting that. What I'm fighting is being misrepresented. =)

Fair enough.

Lummox JR
In response to Elorien

I dislike all governments pretty much equally, but my major pet peeve is hippocracy ^_~

Rulership by horses?
In response to Lummox JR
That does; but "uh-oo" is pretty close to "oh-oo" when pronounced as a diphthong, and is a pretty bad accent to have. "Ah-oo" would be the correct; it's supposed to be a short O (not short a U) followed by "oo".

Accents are in the eyes of the beholder, though; I think the "ah-oo" sounds way off -- that is, really Southern-accented. =)

(Frankly, I find that the Americans got things mixed up. How the heck can you say roof as "roouhff" instead of "roof"? Same goes for boot.

I've never heard that.

Roo-uhf? Every single carpenter on American shows says it instead of the "ooh" sounding version that Canadians have: "roohf" is ours as opposed to "roouhf".

I can record those too. =P

I still haven't gotten around to recording my "about" -- I'll go do that now, before I forget.
In response to Sariat
Im just saying, in newer text books and what not(maps ect.) it is listed as united states of mexico.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Accents are in the eyes of the beholder, though; I think the "ah-oo" sounds way off -- that is, really Southern-accented. =)

Not really; the "ah" is kind of soft, so it works. If it was harder, I would see where you were coming from on that, though. But "uh-oo" is way wrong.

I've never heard that.

Roo-uhf? Every single carpenter on American shows says it instead of the "ooh" sounding version that Canadians have: "roohf" is ours as opposed to "roouhf".

I can record those too. =P

Are you referring to the long u as in "book"? I've heard that, but it's not entirely common.
Carpentry shows are sort of a showcase of America's weirdest accents, though.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Not really; the "ah" is kind of soft, so it works. If it was harder, I would see where you were coming from on that, though. But "uh-oo" is way wrong.

Well, all I know is that the folks that bring me TV from Hollywood sound the same way -- or, at least, not noticeably differently. It might actually indeed be an "ah-oo", but it definitely doesn't sound that way to me.

Still haven't gotten around to recording it. I've been spending the better part of today off of the computer, sleeping, and regaining the endorphins I wasted on the rat and the neurochemicals that I spent from the 5 hours' worth of test writing I've done in the past two days. I'll record that right now; honest. =P

Are you referring to the long u as in "book"?

Yeah, that's the one, but there's a definite tendency almost towards "uh". I'll record my best rendition of the variations I've heard (ranging from an "ooh" to "ouh" to "uh").

I've heard that, but it's not entirely common. Carpentry shows are sort of a showcase of America's weirdest accents, though.

I'm not going to disagree. =)
In response to Scoobert
You know, if you do some digging, you'll find that a lot of countries either call themselves or have called themselves the United States. It's really more of a description than a name. The same could be said of Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland, but what can I say? Some of those whacky northern peoples just go for the obvious... there's a small rocky island to the northeast of Canada called Landwepeedat.
Page: 1 2 3