In response to Xaunux
How does it have way better compression? A DVD is a DVD is a DVD. Gears of war is also small in scale compared to GTA. GTA III: SA takes place over an entire county, and it is almost the size of the county I live in.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
How does it have way better compression? A DVD is a DVD is a DVD. Gears of war is also small in scale compared to GTA. GTA III: SA takes place over an entire county, and it is almost the size of the county I live in.

I thought you knew this stuff..

Compression.. doesn't matter if its a dvd or a blu ray.. thanks to 360's xenos it can compress stuff really well..

GTA 3 or vice city (forgot which 1) was 4 gigs.. San andreas was 2.4 gigs... see, it depends on compression.

Google this info :P
In response to Xaunux
Yes, compression does make a difference, but would it not be up to the game publisher to provide the compression, not the game system? Reguardless, the textures and level of detail seem to have grown at least 4 fold(Textures in GTA III were all very low resolution, I think 256x256 or 128x128), meaning that 2.4GB would now be 9.6GB(Greater than 1 DVD).
I'm not seeing the problem in having more than 1 DVD. If it needs 2, it needs 2. If it needs 3, it needs 3. If it needs 12, it needs 12. They'll just give us a box that will store them all in, I mean like Final Fantasy 7 and 8. Those had 4 discs I believe, if they need 4 discs they'll just do it.
In response to Evil-Inuyasha
And you don't find it annoying to have to swap discs constantly? Sure, GTA might be able to break it up into areas, but that would really break up the gameplay to have to swap discs in the middle of a chopper battle or something. Or just imagine if you were being chased, hit the next disc, then another chopper pushed you back to where you came, making you have to change the disc again.

Granted, I won't have to worry about this, I have a PS3, but I'm sure the 360 fans would not be pleased.
You know, it is coming to the point where, having multiple disks might not be a bad thing if they were used to install content into the system itself.

Lets say for arguments sake that GTA did in fact have like 2 or 3 disks. Maybe they could have it so when you first start it, you need to install the other disks to your HD and then when you are done, you use the first disk to play the game.

Virtua Fighter 5 kind of worked like that, it actully installed a bunch of content to the HD of the PS3 ahead of time.

of course I sold Virtua Fighter 5 cause it sucks, but the idea and the possibility is still there.
In response to Revenant Jesus
Revenant Jesus wrote:
You know, it is coming to the point where, having multiple disks might not be a bad thing if they were used to install content into the system itself.

Great idea, but not all the 360s have hard-drives. That means that they will need to basically make two versions for the 360.

of course I sold Virtua Fighter 5 cause it sucks, but the idea and the possibility is still there.

By "sucks" do you mean ' is quite possibly one of the best fighters to date?' Because if you do, I totally agree with you.
No I don't as a matter of fact after a week of owning it I sold it back to EBgames for like $25.00.

Terrible Game, I think it gave me cancer it was so bad.
In response to Revenant Jesus
Heh, I've seen a review of Virtua Fighter 5. It looks great. But the only downflaw is that....you could make a sandwich, eat it, take a piss, throw up from food poisoning, recover from it, come back to the game, and the software would be only half way done installing.

So DOWNLOADING software into the hard drive is a bad idea. Anyway, you know they could just make 4 cities to go to, and each city being a different disc(or every 2 cities), so every time you crossed into a different city you changed discs. Annoying, but they could ALSO implement a pop up system, whereas it would "ask" if you really wanted to change cities in case you didn't.
In response to Evil-Inuyasha
No it isn't a bad idea, they just did it poorly. You are also really exaggerating the amount of time it takes to install the extra data and forgetting the fact that you DON'T have to do it.

There could be an option like that for games that needed more then one disk.

Either way, I'd freely give up a half an hour install if it meant less loading times and better quality games.

I mean, Diablo 2 takes about 5 mins to install on my own PC and yet I am not freaking out about it.
Page: 1 2