ID:132206

If I make a reserved HUD for an up-coming game I'm making, I can use it just as always once the new updated happen?
1. HUD is Heads-up Display, aka screen objects.
2. The BYOND hub is where BYOND games are listed.
3. HUB (all caps, as if it's an acronym) is completely and utterly wrong.
Speedro wrote:
If I make a reserved HUD for an up-coming game I'm making, I can use it just as always once the new updated happen?

Hub hosting will cost money after the update.
In response to FIREking
Incorrect. The ability to create and edit hubs will require a membership. Once a Hub is created it will remain. Only members will be allowed to edit it though, so when your membership runs out you'll need to renew it to edit that Hub entry.
In response to BrickSquadron
Thanks for clarifying that.
In response to BrickSquadron
Wait... what? Only members can now make game hubs?
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Wait... what? Only members can now make game hubs?
When the website update occurs, only those with Memberships will be able to create BYOND hubs.
In response to Super Saiyan X
You'll also need a membership to edit them.
In response to Darker Legends
Pfft this will deter any developers bad move.
In response to A.T.H.K
I do agree with you.
In response to Darker Legends
I think the word "free" should be used lightly around these new changes..

Free software - yes website riddled with ads looks like malware etc.....

But don't count on your game being listed on our website unless you pay...
Dream Seeker becomes / is somewhat useless tool except for the obvious usage of playing games.

Market your game through your own website possibly without any knowledge of any HTML etc

A 13 year old developer may not have any idea what to do in these circumstances and yes there are a few that program and do not "rip"

Not everyone can afford the price to become a member and by reading the above having to do it each year just to keep your games hub active....

BYOND needs to release an API or something that can report players keys to an external website without the client to be able to spoof it.... A world export is too easy to exploit .....
In response to A.T.H.K
I'd be worried about this, if I thought there were any developers worth a damn in the first place who aren't willing to stump up $24.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I'd be worried about this, if I thought there were any developers worth a damn in the first place who aren't willing to stump up $24.

Exactly.
In response to A.T.H.K
Hubs don't go away when your membership goes. Only members can edit hubs. It would be left untouched if no one touches it.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:

The advantage to any "developer worth a damn" would be access to the site's audience. Of the ~375 of the 5000 people online as of this post. 100 of those (SS13) can arguably be ignored as I'd be better off paying for a somethingawful.com forum account and advertising my game there.

Everyone else is either off playing Narutoball Z: Rise of the Bleach or just has their pager sitting in their system tray and playing nothing. If that is in fact the number of players actually playing games, then that's even worse for those "developers worth a damn" since those are players they will likely never see in their game anyway.

I said it a year ago and I'll say it again. BYOND needs to grow and actually have an audience worth paying money for, and slapping more and more restrictions in place isn't exactly going to facilitate that.
In response to Kaiochao
90% of BYOND's hubs are already a year outdated,we don't need any more of those.
In response to Flare SilverBend
It would be nice to hear from Tom on this .... But for some reason I doubt it ...
A stub hub entry will not work. As currently planned, editing of a non-member hub entry will be possible on only a limited basis. So you wouldn't be able to, say, pick your game's path and name after the fact. You would be able to alter the long description to include some update info, but that part of the plan is potentially in flux.
In response to Lummox JR
How low can one sink... and probably due to money.
In response to Xioden
Xioden wrote:
I said it a year ago and I'll say it again. BYOND needs to grow and actually have an audience worth paying money for, and slapping more and more restrictions in place isn't exactly going to facilitate that.

I think BYOND will definitely make more money this way, though. I'm sure plenty of developers will be rushing to buy memberships after the update. (If they aren't smart enough to buy one before the price increases.)

And, in the end, you are right. You can easily advertise your game on other websites for free. So, there's nothing necessarily forcing you to use BYOND's hub system to advertise your game.
Page: 1 2