In response to Magicmann
Magicmann wrote:
NNAAAAHH wrote:
$496.50 now - prices have been dropping on those fast of late. bitcoin's dying out and you want to start using it now?

Ahahah! You're hilarious. Bitcoin isn't dying out, and if ever, won't for a very long time. Bitcoin has been around for four plus years, and in the last year has gained more value than you could ever fathom. The bitcoin has been stabley fluctuating around the $500 point for months and if you want to ignore something as powerful as the bitcoin for helping BYOND in growth, then you are genuinely ignorant. If BYOND were to start accepting Bitcoin, I alone would be able to pump hundreds of dollars into the community a month. Bitcoin is a traded commodity just like stocks, and with the way Bitcoin is going it's quickly becoming more popular than trading stocks, too.

Detedagowa wrote:
Pirion wrote:
I think the lack of regulation, and the exchanges that stole a lot of money already killed it - right?

That exchange "found" 200k of those coins, irony was that it was on one of their own wallets that they no longer used so it looks kinda fishy.

Yes, one exchange tried stealing 200k Bitcoin from it's members, but anyone knowledgeable in cryptocurrencies would tell you never to leave your coins in an exchange anyways. Before they start truly scamming their members, I did thousands of dollars worth of exchanges through Mt Gox, and when they shut down you know how much my end loss was? $42.96 at current Bitcoin value. Not that much considering the fact that through my time there, I easily exchanged into the five digits worth there. Yea, one person did steal a lot from people trusting him, but that's happened with stocks and people still trade them. The Bitcoin is something BYOND needs to consider implementing, as that alone could boost BYOND up a lot. With it's non-reversible, non-centralized nature, donations and payments made in Bitcoin would cost BYOND multiple times less to receive, and would remove any risk of chargebacks by little kiddies parents.

I realize I haven't been around in a while, but I've been more active online than I ever was before during my time on BYOND and I've picked up a lot of knowledge into cryptocurrencies and online consumerism. There are so many untapped resources BYOND has that a lot of people here are too blind to look into taking advantage of.

Also, Tom, Softlayer is ripping you off. Their cheapest two-CPU server has 12GB of RAM, and cost $260 a month. For $270 a month one could get a dual eight core (Sixteen cores, thirty-two threads) CPU server with 128GBs of RAM from OVH. Not only that, OVH has a much more massive network than SoftLayer, and their DDoS protection could take on attacks 24/7 and not skip a beat.

I'm totally with you, I honestly don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Also even if it was only worth pennies if you collect enough tin-cans you could still amass a fortune. xD
BitCoin is the stable currency of the deepweb, dont let anyone fool you; its not going anywhere; if anything I predict it will grow stronger after the Chinese decide to embrace it again.
In response to Jean Sqribe
Jean Sqribe wrote:
BitCoin is the stable currency of the deepweb, dont let anyone fool you; its not going anywhere; if anything I predict it will grow stronger after the Chinese decide to embrace it again.

It doesn't matter if the Chinese government embraces it again. Cryptocurrencies gain more and more global notoriety every single day. It's only a matter of time before they become common in daily life.
In response to Detedagowa
Detedagowa wrote:

I'm totally with you, I honestly don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Also even if it was only worth pennies if you collect enough tin-cans you could still amass a fortune. xD

That type of thinking causes people to lose their life savings on penny stocks.
In response to Kalzar
Kalzar wrote:
Detedagowa wrote:

That type of thinking causes people to lose their life savings on penny stocks.

Yeah, Pretty sure Penny Stocks are a valid way to invest, taking bunk advice from people who buy as groups then sell shit out from under your feet without warning you is a good way to lose money on them. Also who the hell invests more than they can afford to lose...you don't put all your eggs in one basket EVER! If you do your loss is nobodies fault but your own

It doesn't matter if the Chinese government embraces it again. Cryptocurrencies gain more and more global notoriety every single day. It's only a matter of time before they become common in daily life.

Again couldn't agree more, look up the bitcoin credit card, basically making it so easy to spend your cache of bitcoins.

"Users of the free Xapo wallet will receive a free credit card number complete with expiration date that they can use to pay online. For $15 they can request a physical card with magstripe that is usable at any store that accepts MasterCard. PIN and chip cards will be available in Europe."
I suspect we've veered off topic again. Perhaps you'd like to create a new topic to discuss the merits and viability of crypto-currency?
or not, and leave it at that :)
Another month another $200 lol.
In response to Ripper man5
Ripper man5 wrote:
Another month another $200 lol.

Much appreciated!
Cloud Magic wrote:
Let's do the math, how much ramen will that get Tom ?

At least seven ramen.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Question, lets say we hit and go beyond this months donations - would the extra amount carry over to next month?

It will not, but one thing we could do is show how we're doing for the whole year, to give a cumulative affect.

I'm inspired by the contributions so far!

Hey what happened to this Tom? How about throw some numbers on the byond fundometer page monthly pertaining to how much was made with donations and through the games.

And yes I am reviewing everything Tom thought he might do lol. Make a list and do them. Great suggestions should be pushed through so people are convinced their money is put in use.
In response to Ripper man5
I'm still waiting for the video Tom said he was going to post :P

Just an idea for the creators. Maybe contact universities, or colleges with coding or game designing classes and work with them. This could be a good project for up and coming young people. To not only learn how to code and develop games but to potentially to use something they have created here in their portfolio.

Not only could this bring in investment, but more activity.
In response to LucyWolfa
This idea has been floated before, but nothing has really come of it. I'm not sure it's necessarily the right fit for a university course, which is why it's never caught on there.
Just to flick another random thing, maybe create a skillshare course thing http://www.skillshare.com/. Might work might not. Em id try think of some more ideas.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 34 35 36