This was so complicated to read that it must be something to be excited about, so I'm excited too.

Byond's Gangsta
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Ernesto5432 wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
I don't see this taking so much "re-learning", as growing up and learning a bit of HTML, Javascript, and CSS type stuff that you would otherwise be learning off-site anyway.

I just mean it's a big step to going back to the basics - again.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. If you mean whether we plan to support client-server games (like Incursion, where you would always host through DS), then that isn't in the plans at the moment, but I don't think it's a huge deal since there is really no reason you can't just use DD for that (it's way more efficient anyway due to lack of multithreading on the client-server atm). I suspect at some point we will have to tackle this since people are surely going to want to get their games onto Steam and not be limited to single-player. We just need to ensure that it doesn't cut into our revenue stream through the ads.. so maybe it'd have to be a one-off fee to do this kind of thing.

If you are just asking about the interface, you can continue to use the existing system for now. Some stuff isn't supported right now (like the grid control) but anyone can port those controls for us. A basic interface should be really easy to do in HTML though.

What I was trying to ask was whether or not the current array of games would continued to be supported, or is byond moving entirely to web-based games.
Can someone simplify what this means for a noob?
In response to Ernesto5432
Ernesto5432 wrote:
Tom wrote:
Ernesto5432 wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
I don't see this taking so much "re-learning", as growing up and learning a bit of HTML, Javascript, and CSS type stuff that you would otherwise be learning off-site anyway.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. If you mean whether we plan to support client-server games (like Incursion, where you would always host through DS), then that isn't in the plans at the moment, but I don't think it's a huge deal since there is really no reason you can't just use DD for that (it's way more efficient anyway due to lack of multithreading on the client-server atm). I suspect at some point we will have to tackle this since people are surely going to want to get their games onto Steam and not be limited to single-player. We just need to ensure that it doesn't cut into our revenue stream through the ads.. so maybe it'd have to be a one-off fee to do this kind of thing.

If you are just asking about the interface, you can continue to use the existing system for now. Some stuff isn't supported right now (like the grid control) but anyone can port those controls for us. A basic interface should be really easy to do in HTML though.

What I was trying to ask was whether or not the current array of games would continued to be supported, or is byond moving entirely to web-based games.

BYOND is not changing anything that currently exists, except for adding new features that will allow current games to expand and thrive.
In response to Kwijiboe
Kwijiboe wrote:
Can someone simplify what this means for a noob?

Rather than having to download software, BYOND games will be available to play in most modern internet browsers.

Additionally, the developers will have more access to control how the games look. This could be great if we have the talent in the community to be able to work with these formats.
In response to Ernesto5432
Ernesto5432 wrote:
Tom wrote:
Ernesto5432 wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

It's just a client port. You don't have to jump through any hoops to differentiate a web-based game. Simply put, any multi-player BYOND game that can be hosted through the Seeker or Dream Daemon will run in the new client, provided it's an incoming connection. Single-player games will be handled later via an HTML-5 enabled executable.

This update doesn't change how making your BYOND game works.
:D

That is all. :)
Indeed.
very cool, looking forward to seeing it in action.
This is awesome. Very excited...

I have a question though: if a project's UI is designed on the browser-side, using the new javascript options that come with the HTML5 release... will it be compatible outside of the browser? Could it still be played as a standalone install or would you need to use the web?
This is really cool... I'm exited :D
In response to Writing A New One
Writing A New One wrote:
This is awesome. Very excited...

I have a question though: if a project's UI is designed on the browser-side, using the new javascript options that come with the HTML5 release... will it be compatible outside of the browser? Could it still be played as a standalone install or would you need to use the web?

We will provide a standalone system that will simply be the server embedded in the backend and a CEF browser for the front-end. The primary intent is to support testing from the compiler as well as single-player games. For multi-player games, I'd think most people would rather use the web-option instead of having to download an EXE, with the main exception being games that want to distribute themselves over networks like Steam. So we'll have to work with those, specifically (in Steam's case we have to anyway in order to provide the Steam connection support). I'm not sure if this answered your question.

I humbly thank you all for your endurance and loyalty to what goes Byond us all.
Fucking beautiful.
Looks like a good time to rehash the SByIo Library once it comes out. Not sure when yet since I have been learning various fields I have been trying to learn for years and now have started actually using for experiments.

Then again, my SByIo Library could become obsolete in the future (which has to a certain extent, though is still useful for bitmap fonts). Fortunately, there are bits that are still useful for porting over.
I am going to get that cash money setting up classified ads to design peoples web interfaces.

Jk no one on BYOND really pays for services.
So will we be able to use our old way of coding and it still work the same or will we have to learn another coding language and all the games start over?
In response to Joejoe13
Joejoe13 wrote:
So will we be able to use our old way of coding and it still work the same or will we have to learn another coding language and all the games start over?

If you can't wrap your head around the post, you're all gucci mane. The only change is that you need to know some HTML and Javascript, CSS too. Or I guess you could be lazy and bootstrap your UI.... BUT this is only if you want to make a web compatible game.
+1. I'm hyped. I've been (taking a serious attempt in) programming in DM since '09. It has become one of my most favored languages. The fact that it finally wishes to break open into the modern world can bring more popularity to BYOND.

And I did hear mention of open-sourcing the tools so that they can be designed for other platforms. I like that you're being open about your sources now (even if the core isn't). Should this new era of BYOND bring back its financial success (as well as become a pioneer in a new era of HTML5), I feel like we'll have a community like we did way back in the day.
Nice! Would love to see Byond become succesful again. Keep up the wonderful work folks.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6 7 8