In response to Jamesburrow
It isn't American-only... where did that comment come from?!
Jamesburrow wrote:
Its really a fun game. Don't know how it could only be an american thing.

In England it's known as Cluedo, but it's identical.
I don't know if anyone down there has suggested this, but:

Try this, or this, or even this...

Image search is your friend!

In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
You'll find a lot of boards, but in my opinion, this one is the best:

In response to Crispy
The fact that so many people have never heard of it.
In response to Elation
hmmm. Cluedo? What does that mean? Oh well. Doesn't matter, as long as it exists.
Jamesburrow wrote:
hmmm. Cluedo? What does that mean? Oh well. Doesn't matter, as long as it exists.

It's a name, Jamesburrow.
It doesn't have to mean anything.
It's a play on the Latin word "ludo" which means to play. :)
In response to tenkuu
tenkuu wrote:
It's a play on the Latin word "ludo" which means to play. :)

Oooh, thanks for clearing that up!

So our version of the word owns yours...Heh.
In response to Elation
So our version of the word owns yours...Heh.

Ours is more succinct. *sticks out his tongue*
In response to Spuzzum
The British spelling is better, and the US spelling is inferior but two letters shorter? Yeah, sounds about right. ;-P
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
The British spelling is better, and the US spelling is inferior but two letters shorter? Yeah, sounds about right. ;-P

The Parker Bros. are (were) Americans. So one could argue that the British name is a knockoff of the original spelling.

And I consider the name "Clue" to be much superior to the name "Cluedo", since one is a real word and the other, unless you actually knew about the game, doesn't describe the gameplay at all.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
And I consider the name "Clue" to be much superior to the name "Cluedo", since one is a real word and the other, unless you actually knew about the game, doesn't describe the gameplay at all.

And since when did names being words make them superior?

:P

Anyway, adding two characters on to the end of the word isn't so great a change as to bamboozle most of the world's population (I hope, but I'm sure a quick trip to the unpublished section could prove me wrong...).
In response to Spuzzum
*Smacks hand on forehead*

Cludeo was originally released in the UK by Waddingtons in 1946, while the American knockoff was released in 1949.
It was me in the dev forum with the google search.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

And since when did names being words make them superior?

Well, say I have a high-stakes game of espionage and cryptography. One potential name is "Decipher". The other name is "Decyphrest" (the in-game company which contracts the espionage for the government).

Which name do you think more people would grasp?
In response to Spuzzum
/me tries to find some way of putting the sentient aggressor "Spuzzum" species off the scent without openly admitting defeat.

Hey Spuzz, Look over there! The Good Year blimp!

*Elation runs off in the opposite direction*
In response to Spuzzum
But why do names of games have to describe them? A game I have, 'Hundred Swords' is an RTS/RPG, but from the name, it could be an RPG, an RTS, an action game, a fencing game, whatever.
Another: 'Unreal Tournament'. It could be a football game with fantasy teams, it could be a ladder-based RTS, it could be a FPS (which it is).
'Dragon Warrior' - it could be a side-scrolling game where you are a dragon. It could be an adventure where you are a dragon.

You get my point yet? Or am I gonna have to give more examples of when (fairly) popular (OK, so most people haven't heard of Hundred Swords) games have names which could mean anything. I can take it all the way back to Amiga games if you want me to.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Wait...Spuzz...you don't REALLY think Dan was murdered by someone on the BYOND staff?

Murder is such a strong word. I prefer to use the term, spontaneous involuntary decomposition. ;P

~X It was Xooxer in The Lounge with a BunnyBot.
In response to Hell Ramen
Well, if you want, you can use this character template. It's just a naked man and woman, 1 view, no clothing, a few hairstyles and some gratuitous pics of Vegeta, just for the hell of it. (Note, Vegeta crafted from an earlier model, so he's not exactly a match, but I liked how he came out, so I threw him in.)

2x

~X
In response to tenkuu
cool. Hmmmm....Even though americans and english speak the same laguage, I think theirs is better some of the time.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5