DawnCaster Infestation

by Ter13
Rid the HMS DawnCaster of the alien menace!
Ter, are you giving credit to Gakumerasara? This looks an awful lot like his engine, and if you compare it to his engine (which is open source) then I'm sure you can see what I'm pointing at. Scuse me if I'm wrong, but the way it's built is almost identical to vengeance 56.

http://www.byond.com/members/ Gakumerasara?command=view_post&post=1013935&first_unread=1
Ter, are you giving credit to Gakumerasara? This looks an awful lot like his engine, and if you compare it to his engine (which is open source) then I'm sure you can see what I'm pointing at.

What? part of this code is a port of Lode Vandervenne's simple raycasting tutorial: http://lodev.org/cgtutor/

There are other issues at hand, as well, like my means of blitting the walls is entirely different than vengeance 56's method. I wouldn't have stolen anything from Vengeance's means of doing things because his method was primitive and there are better means of doing things, which I utilized in this engine.

If there is any resemblance to Gakusamera's engine, it's entirely methodological. In other words, a consequence of similar outcomes.

Scuse me if I'm wrong, but the way it's built is almost identical to vengeance 56.

You are wrong.

I streamed myself creating this engine during the competition. I did not steal anything from anyone, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't further accuse me of theft.
Wasn't calling you a thief, mate
In response to Bumblemore
Bumblemore wrote:
Wasn't calling you a thief, mate

This looks an awful lot like his engine, and if you compare it to his engine (which is open source) then I'm sure you can see what I'm pointing at.

You called me a thief. You accused me of stealing his source code. If you didn't intend to, you really suck at communicating.

I encourage you to take a look at my source code and compare it to his, because I'd be amazed if the two even look remotely alike.
I didn't call you a thief, mate. Was asking you to credit him if you happened to actually be using his source, I was actually trying to be polite, but it obviously didn't work.
any chance of this becoming an online zombie game sort of like a more modern The Last Conflict
Online? Unlikely. On my machine, the most this could support is 3 to 4 players.

I could, in theory write my own networking backend, but due to a pervasive bug in how BYOND's Export() information is communicated, I'd barely be able to get a 100ms granularity between communications. This makes the possibility of this ever being large-scale multiplayer borderline impossible.
that stinks woulda been fun to play with friends/lots of people
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
that stinks woulda been fun to play with friends/lots of people

#BYOND3D2014
#BYOND3D2014
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Online? Unlikely. On my machine, the most this could support is 3 to 4 players.

I could, in theory write my own networking backend, but due to a pervasive bug in how BYOND's Export() information is communicated, I'd barely be able to get a 100ms granularity between communications. This makes the possibility of this ever being large-scale multiplayer borderline impossible.

Gaku managed to make his multiplayer using a seperate server client for the host-

http://www.byond.com/games/Gakumerasara/V56DedicatedServer

http://www.byond.com/games/Gakumerasara/Vengeance56
Bumblemore, Gaku's server-client stuff was cool and all, but it averaged 300ms ping on good days. On bad days it was >500ms.

This is what Ter13 is talking about in the post that you quoted; BYOND's world to world communications just sucks too much for that application.
This is what Ter13 is talking about in the post that you quoted; BYOND's world to world communications just sucks too much for that application.

Exactly. The problem is that there are three ways of communicating with the servlet:

1) Websocks via Javascript - Con: Have to deal with null-encoded text parsing to process the data sent both directions, resulting in significant CPU usage on either end, and delays between processing of networked frames.

2) ANSI C DLL with a socket implementation - Con: Have to deal with null-encoded text parsing to process the data sent both directions, resulting in significant CPU usage on either end and delays between processing of networked frames. I'd also have to have the user permit C DLL calls, which is a potential failure point.

3) Native world.Export() - Con: Have to deal with null-encoded text parsing to process the data sent both directions, resulting in significant CPU usage on either and end delays between processing of networked frames, and to boot I'd have to deal with the bug that makes world.Export() have a minimum of a 100ms delay. At worst, I'd see similar 300 to 500 ms delays over a network connection, similar to my previous tests at a communication protocol utilizing world.Export().

Frankly, there's just no ideal solution.
world.Export() fix pls.
meh.
In response to Trickytyfly
Trickytyfly wrote:
meh.

It's a lot less meh when you understand the BYOND engine's limitations. --Raycasting is really not easy in an engine that doesn't allow you access to the render loop at all. Just gonna throw that out there. Game isn't impressive, it's the fact that this style of rendering was pulled off at all in DM. Much less in 36 hours.
I'll learn how to do this one day
Lol Sorry Ter I used to be a real wind up merchant. Still am but hopefully Im a bit more mature
Page: 1 2 3