ID:277700

I mean, people are geting clever about it these days. When you get someone who comes in game and HINTS at being a BYOND admin in a big way, but doesn't actually claim to be one... does it still count?

We had a wonderful little episode just now with Mr Hypothetical aka "Even if I am Dantom?" (hint, hint) and I'm wondering if it counts as impersonating an admin or not. I really hope the real Dan/Tom aren't anything like that >_>
I doubt BYOND staff will come into games and bother you, so just ignore them.
In response to Calus CoRPS
I doubt it too. It was just something I want to know about though because it's one of those grey areas between what's ok and what isn't.
The staff won't come into a game of your's to do something. They'll get in contact with you by more official means. If you ever wonder if someone's a Staff member, also, use this list. It lists both Staff and moderators.
If it is in a game I doubt that it will matter much, the game owner should deal with this kind of stuff. But if this happens on the forums then I guess that won't be ok and the staff will deal with him/her.
In response to Calus CoRPS
As far as I knew, it was never OK to impersonate a BYOND admin. I would go as far as guessing to say that, if it really became a problem and became disruptive in the community, games or otherwise, they would most likely do something about it.
Does it matter? BYOND's staff has zero authority within your game. The only thing they can do to you is remove your game from being displayed on BYOND space and deny you services within the community (or, in extreme cases, any access to the community at all).

Also note that unless you're doing something obviously wrong in the BYOND community as a whole, BYOND's staff won't be doing anything against you, so any idle threats anyone impersonating them makes are just stupid, and should be ignored.

So basically if someone is in your game saying, "Hey, I'm BYOND staff, so do this and this or else!" Just ban them.
In response to Foomer
If someone claims to be Dan, laugh. He's not been around in any meaningful way in a long time, probably way longer than most of the people on BYOND have been around. If they claim to be Tom, laugh. He's waaay to busy trying to find bugs and an income to play some random game. If they claim to be admins, or staff or moderators, laugh. Ban. Forget about it. None of the staff or moderators will ever enter your game and demand anything from you. Ever.

If someone comes into your game and claims this or that, ban them and move on with the game. There is nothing they can do to you, even if they were who they say they were. You can ban all the admins and staff from ever entering any of your games and they'd never hold it against you. Heck, some might even thank you.

Bottom line is, it's the maker's game. If someone causes trouble in that game, even if they claim to be BYOND staff, it's the game maker's problem. BYOND is far too busy dealing with it's own growth and maintenance to have the time to play most games, let alone time to moderate them.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
You can ban all the admins and staff from ever entering any of your games and they'd never hold it against you. Heck, some might even thank you.

Although this could be a bad choice on your part. Especially if your game ends up finding a bug that didnt exist in 3.5 but can be abused in 4.0 xD
In response to Jamesburrow
If that's the case, a thurough bug report would be more beneficial than having the Staff log in everytime someone finds a bug. They simply don't have the time.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Except for some in Evi of au's Chat. Usually away, though.
In response to Kaiochao2536
They just go in there to go in there. They normally don't have any sort of set-out task.
In response to Xooxer
Meh, Lummox logged into TWC once to help out with a 4.0 bug, even though there was a thorough bug report. Good thing to, because I think he ended up finding two other bugs as well xD
One method is to take a close look at the key (or ckey I believe) of the person logged in - it will reveal who the real key-owner is. But since people can have more than one key, also look at their IP address and do a lookup on the net for it. Tom is in the southwest (more-or-less) , so IPs coming from NewYork would be very suspect, for example, unless he posted on his blog about a New York trip. (I'm pretty big on using Linux's "netstat", "traceroute" and "tcpdump" commands to see where people are logging in from - there are similar programs available for Windows and Mac users too.)

Alathon and I are in Denmark, so we sould be easy to verify. JtGibson is in Canada, and the other staff general locations can be discerned from searching the forums and blogs. It is not fool-proof either, as people can use proxies to hide their location, but helps to add to the evidence that the person is not who they say they are.

Also pay attention to the Staff blogs and forum posts. We all have certain behavior-isms and styles of writing that are fairly consistant. Any departure outside that should raise warning bells. For example, you would never, ever see me write 'LOL' or 'u' (you) or 'y' (why) as parts of my sentance structure, unless I was poking fun at someone else who just said it.

And 'trip-up' questions about things on their blogs would help too. I can bore you to tears about the virtues of recumbent cycles and velomobiles - I doubt any staff impersonator has an attention span beyond "wuts a recumbent? lol!"

In response to digitalmouse
Hmm, that's a very informative repsonse, thanks for taking the time to reply.

This guy was obviously not an admin, of that much we were sure, but it was really the way he did things that was the point behind this post. I mean, he INSINUATED being an admin without actually saying it and I wasn't sure if I should have reported him for it or not.

After all, he did do a very convincing job, and I'm sure many others would have been fooled into believing he was one just because of the things he said. Yeah, it's more of an "in the interests of our community" thing...
digitalmouse wrote:
Also pay attention to the Staff blogs and forum posts. We all have certain behavior-isms and styles of writing that are fairly consistant. Any departure outside that should raise warning bells. For example, you would never, ever see me write 'LOL' or 'u' (you) or 'y' (why) as a parts of my sentance structure, unless I was poking fun at someone else who just said it.

Wait a minute... when did you start capitalizing your sentences?
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
Wait a minute... when did you start capitalizing your sentences?

on, or about, Halloween. something like a Halloween-years resolution.
digitalmouse wrote:

Of course, you may also be impersonating digitalmouse.

-- Data
In response to Garthor
Yeah, I was just about to say that this digitalmouse is quite suspect with his capitol I and punctuation. I say we check his IP.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
digitalmouse wrote:

Of course, you may also be impersonating digitalmouse.

-- Data

'S'possible. The capitalisation apparently didn't last. ;-)
Page: 1 2