ID:272258

Is it possable to make like, a rand/prob number thing, were the numbers can't be used twice?? And if it is, would anyone mind explaining?
To do this, you would generate a list of numbers, pick from that, and remove what you just picked. It works the same as a deck of cards.
In response to Garthor
Im kinda new at coding so how would I do that? If you dont mind showing, please do.
In response to Garthor
That would easily be quite some extra overhead if you had a big number range; you really don't need a list element per every number from 1 to 100 (for instance) for this, unless you're choosing 100 different numbers. Instead, you should just repeat the rand()/pick()/etc every time is produces a value that was used before (so you'd store past values in a list). You could also possibly optimize it more in some cases so it will do less unneeded processing, but really the above already does the job.

Renjo Kujika wrote:
Im kinda new at coding so how would I do that? If you dont mind showing, please do.

(If you're new to lists, you should read up on them in the DM Reference and DM Guide)
That would be done by creating a list, then calling rand() in a loop, and adding the number it returns to the list only if it isn't already there. You could make a proc for that;
my_randoms(min,max,num) //this proc takes 3 arguments: first like rand()'s arguments + how many numbers you want.
var/list/numbers = new //initialize a new list
while(numbers.len < num) //loop until our list has enough numbers in it
var/N = rand(min,max) //generate a random number
if(!(N in numbers)) //if the number isn't already in the numbers list
numbers += N //add it (also increasing the length of the list in the process)
return numbers //return the list to the proc caller
In response to Garthor
That would easily be quite some extra overhead if you had a big number range; you really don't need a list element per every number from 1 to 100 (for instance) for this, unless you're choosing 100 different numbers. Instead, you should just repeat the rand()/pick()/etc every time is produces a value that was used before (so you'd store past values in a list). You could also optimize it more in some cases so it will do less unneeded processing, but the above already does the job.

Renjo Kujika wrote:

(If you're new to lists, you should read up on them in the DM Reference and DM Guide)
What I said above would be done by creating a list, then calling rand() in a loop, and adding the number it returns to the list only if it isn't already there. You could make a proc for that;
my_randoms(min,max,num) //this proc takes 3 arguments: first like rand()'s arguments + how many numbers you want.
In response to Garthor
That would easily be quite some extra overhead if you had a big number range; you really don't need a list element per every number from 1 to 100 (for instance) for this, unless you're choosing 100 different numbers. Instead, you should just repeat the rand()/pick()/etc every time is produces a value that was used before (so you'd store past values in a list). You could also optimize it more in some cases so it will do less unneeded processing, but the above already does the job.

Renjo Kujika wrote:

What I said above would be done by creating a list, then calling rand() in a loop, and adding the number it returns to the list only if it isn't already there. You could make a proc for that;
In response to Kaioken
And yours has an indeterminate amount of overhead. It could be done in num iterations, it could be done in a million iterations, and it could never finish (if num > max-min). "Guess and check" is always the wrong choice.