ID:270111

It's just been eating at me.....no matter how many times i try, i cannot figure out how they got the map to "cycle back" on seika. If anyone could tell me it would be nice. It's been eating at my brain from the inside out.

Well I've not really played Seika(I've logged in once or twice, but I got bored within seconds and logged out). Could you describe what you're talking about? Also, this sounds like a Developer How-To.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Yeah, it is a developer how to. My mistake. But anyways, the way it works is, as you go around the map it is as if the map never ends. Or to better decribe it, if you go left you dont hit the end if the map, you will just keep going and pass the point you originaly started from. and no there is no black in sight, it is as if you went around in a circle.
In response to Dark Krow
An easy way to do that would be to re-map part of the opposite edge(the right side would look like the left side), and when you come to the re-mapped area, teleport them to the truly-mapped area on the opposite side. I'm not sure if that's how it's done in Seika, but it's an idea.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
What would be the hard way?

I like a good challenge.
In response to Dark Krow
The hard way is to design your own system to create the effect(meaning it's not hard to take the system from someone else). =P

Hiead
In response to Hiead
i dont want to use it.....thats one of their unique qualitys to the game, and i respect the time they put into it. Im just the type that once i see it, its going to bug me until i know how they did it.
In response to Dark Krow
Sounds like it's just seamless teleportation from one side of the map to the other, with the map placed so that you don't notice when you teleport (as Hiead described). There's really no other way to do it.

A (much harder) extension of the problem is making you able to see other players and items on the other side of the teleportation divide. That can be tricky to get right, which is why most people don't bother. Players will generally forgive objects appearing and disappearing across the boundary.

Heck, even commercial games often don't. I remember one level load transition in Half-Life 1 that was in the middle of a longish corridor. I killed a bunch of headcrabs on one side of the transition, splattering yellow blood everywhere, and then walked through the transition. A while later I came back the other way, and did a bit of a double-take when all this headcrab blood suddenly popped up all around me. =D