ID:292505

Now that we have some stats, and can (sort of) level up, we need to save our character!
If you haven't already read Tutorial #4, you should check it out first. Or, start at the beginning, if you're new to the series!

Saving
First we'll create a Save proc, and have it so players get automatically saved without worry.

Step 1.1 First, we'll create a new Code file named Save.dm, and add the following code to it
mob/proc/SaveProc()
var/FileName="Players/[ckey(src.key)].sav"
if(fexists(FileName)) fdel(FileName)
var/savefile/F=new(FileName)
F["Level"]<<src.Level
F["Exp"]<<src.Exp
F["Nexp"]<<src.Nexp
F["HP"]<<src.HP
F["MaxHP"]<<src.MaxHP
F["Str"]<<src.Str
F["Def"]<<src.Def
F["LastX"]<<src.x
F["LastY"]<<src.y
F["LastZ"]<<src.z
src<<"Character Saved..."

We've created procs before, so the first line should look familiar.
The next line defines a variable for the file name. ckey() is a built in proc that will remove formatting (like periods and spaces) from the text you give it.
After that, we want to check if the file already exists, and if it does, delete it. This is done mainly to remove wasted space from previous save states.
fexists() is a built in proc that will tell you if the specified file exists. fdel() is also built in, and can delete a file.
The next line creates a savefile type var, and simply names the variable "F"
The following lines reference directories in F and outputs data to them. The output operator should look familiar, we've been using it to send messages.
Create a line for each thing we want to save. In this case, all the variables we've created. We also want to save the player's location.

Step 1.2 To make sure players always (and automatically) get saved, we will call our proc in Logout(). This can be found in Main.dm
    Logout()
world<<"[src] has Logged Out"
src.SaveProc() //This line is new
del src

This 1 new line of code will call the proc we wrote above, saving the player automatically when they Logout.
As mentioned when we first wrote our Logout, make sure you do things before you delete the source.

Step 1.3 We should probably let players manually save as well, otherwise they freak out! This simple code can be added in Verbs.dm
mob/verb
Save()
src.SaveProc()

Now for loading. This will work a lot like saving actually.

Step 2.1 We'll add a LoadProc() to Save.dm, below the SaveProc()
mob/proc/LoadProc()
if(fexists(FileName))
F["Level"]>>src.Level
F["Exp"]>>src.Exp
F["Nexp"]>>src.Nexp
F["HP"]>>src.HP
F["MaxHP"]>>src.MaxHP
F["Str"]>>src.Str
F["Def"]>>src.Def
src.loc=locate(F["LastX"],F["LastY"],F["LastZ"])
src<<"Character Loaded..."
return 1

As you can see, this is pretty similar to the SaveProc(). There are, however, some differences.
We have everything tabbed in under out fexists() this time. That way it will only happen if there is a file.
We also won't need to delete any file here. Though, we will still create a new savefile variable.
We still reference the savefile directories. This time though, we use input operators >> (they're like backwards output ones) to send the data from the file to the variables. It goes in the direction the arrows are pointing, you see.
To locate the player to their saved location, we set their built-in loc variable. We also use the built-in locate() proc here. We also directly reference the savefile values, without needing to input them to anything.
We then have another standard message to the player that they were loaded.
Finally, we "return 1" inside the if(). If no file existed, then this proc will instead return null by default.
Using return will immediately end a proc or verb. It can also be used to "return" a value, in this case 1. I'll include an example at the end for better understanding.

Step 2.2 Now we need to actually load them. We'll do this when they Login. The Login() code can be found in Main.dm
mob
Login()
//new code below
if(src.LoadProc())
world<<"[src] has Returned"
else
//end new code.
//The following lines were tabbed in
src.loc=locate(5,5,1)
world<<"[src] has Logged In"

Now in our Login we use our LoadProc(), inside an if(). Since it returns 1 if there was a file, it will be true if you loaded, and will output that the player has Returned.
Since the LoadProc will return null otherwise, that would be a false if(), and therefore the else would occur.
Inside the else (we tabbed in our existing code) our old Login code will occur.

return
Quick examples of how you can use return
//Getting a value with return
proc/Add(num1,num2)
var/Sum=num1+num2
return Sum
//You could do this without the sum variable:
//return num1+num2

mob/verb/Test_Add()
src<<Add(2,3)
src<<"3 + 5 = [Add(3,5)]"

//Stopping a proc/verb with return
mob/verb/Return2Stop()
src<<"Shows this"
return
src<<"But not this"

//It does both at the same time!

Contine to Tutorial #6: Animating Icons
Nice Tut,And How About The Name Proc + Title Screens Or GM Verbs For Tut 6?
In response to The Final Duelist
finnaly! Tut 5
Character actions.
I love you <3

I was wondering when you would be o so kind to make another tutorial :p
The Final Duelist wrote:

Try reading the RPGStarter source, it has all of that.
In response to Jonny_test_718
Jonny_test_718 wrote:
The Final Duelist wrote:

I Want To Make My OWN And I Need The CODING HELP Because When I Tried It It Got Alot Of Errors
The Final Duelist wrote:
Jonny_test_718 wrote:
The Final Duelist wrote:

I Want To Make My OWN And I Need The CODING HELP Because When I Tried It It Got Alot Of Errors

Well it worked for me.
In response to Jonny_test_718
And,Me.
In response to Mner2
Good your tutorials i liked . can you write next tutorial about : how to get icons for players movie and how to create mobs into your own game . Thanks
In response to Togoodty
Togoodty wrote:
Good your tutorials i liked . can you write next tutorial about : how to get icons for players movie and how to create mobs into your own game . Thanks
That Was Tutorial 1.......
i am about monsters and their skins
it say's error
for the logout() thing why?
it's error 493
In response to Ishtylercc
Could you be more specific as to what the error is? "Error 493" doesn't mean anything because BYOND doesn't return specific error codes like that. Could you copy/paste the actual error and the snippet of code the error report points to?
nvm srry
This tut was working fine until I ran into this part. It says the SaveProc() in the Main.dm and Verb.dm is 'undefined', yet the one in the I can't find the problem since the one in the Save.dm works fine.
@Coolman1250 and others: You might have a misunderstanding: "This tut was working fine until I ran into this part." The purpose of a "tut" is to teach you, not to directly provide you with working code to use, hence how the 'code is working' is relatively insignificant.
To clarify, if 'the tut is working', then the accomplished result is that you'd have learned, not that you'd have 'assimilated free code' into your project.

@Falacy:
1) This is good as a general introduction to savefiles, but unfortunately not good as a demonstration of object saving -- you should be including/referring to (ideally teaching) the following as well:
  • Object property save: Dynamically saving and loading an object by calling its Write() and Read() procs.
  • Object instance save: Dynamically saving and loading an object by using the savefile operators << and >> on it.

Of course, those two methods are almost identical. Nevertheless, I remember the first one was discovered as broken or buggy in one way once by Garthor (or someone else), so if that hasn't been fixed yet I wouldn't teach that one to someone who doesn't fully know what they're doing.
If you had done the above at a later tutorial installment, consider this part of my post irrelevant. Should link to it, tho (I'd also put an index of your different tutorials somewhere, maybe in the first one).

2) Throughout your tutorial(s), I'd suggest linking to relevant resources you may know along the way, such as the DM Guide's savefile chapter and other tutorials in this case ("for more information, see..."). If I wanted to be more comprehensive, I'd also mention this "for advanced/further reading" later on. This is because newbies tend to have trouble finding resources unassisted...
By the way, the form of the online DM Reference you're linking to throughout the tutorial is currently broken. I'm not sure how temporary that is, so you may want to change them.

Lastly, I should also take the time to thank you for contributing - I appreciate such efforts. :)
I have a little problem on the LoadProc(), when i compile it gives me the following error

Save.dm:23:error: src.Exp: undefined type

And here's the code un Save.dm

mob/proc/SaveProc()
if(fexists(FileName)) fdel(FileName)
F["Level"]<<src.Level
F["Exp"]<<src.Exp
F["Nexp"]<<src.Nexp
F["TotalExp"]<<src.TotalExp
F["HP"]<<src.HP
F["MaxHP"]<<src.MaxHP
F["Str"]<<src.Str
F["Def"]<<src.Def
F["LastX"]<<src.x
F["LastY"]<<src.y
F["LastZ"]<<src.z
src<<"Character Saved..."

mob/proc/LoadProc()
if(fexists(FileName))
F["Level"]>>src.Level
F["Exp"]>>src.Exp
F["Nexp"]>>src.Nexp
F["TotalExp"]>>src.TotalExp
F["HP"]>>src.HP
F["MaxHP"]>>src.MaxHP
F["Str"]>>src.Str
F["Def"]>>src.Def
src.loc=locate(F["LastX"],F["LastY"],F["LastZ"])
src<<"Character Loaded..."
return 1

What did i code worng? How can i solve it?
Did you define it in your vars.dm?

mob/var Level=1 Exp=0 Nexp=100 //New code below HP=100 MaxHP=100 Str=10 Def=5

Page: 1 2