ID:1732370

While browsing through the files for my project Castle Quest, I happened to spot my folder for Suukou Faita-... I am at a loss that this never came to be because I have so much art completed... The map is large and letting it go to waste is pointless. I'm not looking to give it away for no reason... but more-so, do something with it. I can't program, bottom line... I've tried plenty of times... I'm stuck drawing art which I do not mind. I've just been burned too many times that working with anyone seems impossible...

The point of this post is that I would like suggestions on what to do with that project because like I said... there is just too much art sitting stationary. Should I try resurrecting it or just move on? To sum up how much is done... there are 170 DMI files with several frames for each. The map areas are for Earth and those contain: Starting area, Forest, City, Wastelands, Mountain range, and several other areas including inside buildings.

I'm sure it'd be hard to explain how the game was envisioned... Plus I think about having to explain everything to a new programmer which would be draining (personal opinion)... I will make it clear that I have absolutely ZERO programming for the game as it wasn't shared (which is fine). It'd have to be started from scratch which is also time consuming. I just want to bring a quality game at the end of the day... Nothing more... I have nothing to show here except years and years of pixel art which is useless in the end.

The amount of work put into the pixel art is enough for a solid release with plenty of entertainment... I just need to figure out if this should be worked on or not... I also don;t want a bunch of new or unknown programmers messaging me (as they have before) trying to "help". If you're known for working on anime specific games that are clearly rips or have nothing to show... I will ignore you.
I mean, I'm sort-of known for working on one specific anime rip, am I ignored too? :'(

In all seriousness, show some examples of the style and I may be able to offer to pay for some/all of the art, depending on the price. Of course, I don't need any exclusivity(you're free to give out/sell to other people, as long as I retain rights to use them). Not for a anime or ripped game, but for the original project I would love so much to try and get back into working on again(deterred due to lack of art to fit to my programming, kind of gave up after a while). I could explain concept and all for Rundlement, if it would help any.
Continue been waiting for SF.
If you're not one to program, you could consider porting the graphics to an engine like Game Maker, Construct 2, or Multimedia Fusion 2. These tools don't require you to know programming, but it enhances the tool if you do.

It would seem like a waste to not use the artwork, so hey, might as well put it to good use right? Even if the project doesn't work out for the title initially worked on, you can still use the art in another.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
I mean, I'm sort-of known for working on one specific anime rip, am I ignored too? :'(

In all seriousness, show some examples of the style and I may be able to offer to pay for some/all of the art, depending on the price. Of course, I don't need any exclusivity(you're free to give out/sell to other people, as long as I retain rights to use them). Not for a anime or ripped game, but for the original project I would love so much to try and get back into working on again(deterred due to lack of art to fit to my programming, kind of gave up after a while). I could explain concept and all for Rundlement, if it would help any.

I'll keep this in mind... Not too sure if I want to sell yet.

Ganite wrote:
Continue been waiting for SF.

Easier said than done. The problem is finding a programmer who will stick with it...

Mr_Goober wrote:
If you're not one to program, you could consider porting the graphics to an engine like Game Maker, Construct 2, or Multimedia Fusion 2. These tools don't require you to know programming, but it enhances the tool if you do.

It would seem like a waste to not use the artwork, so hey, might as well put it to good use right? Even if the project doesn't work out for the title initially worked on, you can still use the art in another.

I didn't like Game Maker in the past... I have Construct 2 installed already, but it isn't currently capable of doing what I want (as far as RPG's go), and Multimedia Fusion will be a pass. I suppose we'll see what happens... I appreciate the suggestions.
Branks wrote:
While browsing through the files for my project Castle Quest, I happened to spot my folder for Suukou Faita-... I am at a loss that this never came to be because I have so much art completed... The map is large and letting it go to waste is pointless. I'm not looking to give it away for no reason... but more-so, do something with it. I can't program, bottom line... I've tried plenty of times... I'm stuck drawing art which I do not mind. I've just been burned too many times that working with anyone seems impossible...

I was under the impression you gave it to Lifehunter for his game Ninja Kaisen.

As for letting the large map go to waste, I completely agree that it would be a shame.

However, if I recall correctly, mapping took place before most of the core systems were done and everything on the map, even things that probably should have been /obj, were it's own /turf. Until the game was fleshed out and fully playable, the official map shouldn't have been touched -- especially due to the size of it.

As for reliable programmers, I'm not sure if anyone I'd recommend is even around anymore or they're busy with real life matters, such as work, family, school, and so on.

The point of this post is that I would like suggestions on what to do with that project because like I said... there is just too much art sitting stationary. Should I try resurrecting it or just move on? To sum up how much is done... there are 170 DMI files with several frames for each. The map areas are for Earth and those contain: Starting area, Forest, City, Wastelands, Mountain range, and several other areas including inside buildings.

If you can find a reliable programmer known for getting shit done, then by all means continue it.

If you think starting over would be a waste, I'd sell it or give it to a promising game that requires artwork. I'm not sure if anyone is working on anything, but usually a good portion of released projects around here need a visual improvement.

I'm sure it'd be hard to explain how the game was envisioned... Plus I think about having to explain everything to a new programmer which would be draining (personal opinion)... I will make it clear that I have absolutely ZERO programming for the game as it wasn't shared (which is fine). It'd have to be started from scratch which is also time consuming. I just want to bring a quality game at the end of the day... Nothing more... I have nothing to show here except years and years of pixel art which is useless in the end.

If you intend on using the artwork, it won't be a waste. What was programmed isn't difficult to replicate whatsoever.

If you still have the design documents, it'll explain everything in a step-by-step manner regarding the gameplay concepts; so that'd take care of the explanation issue you'd face from a new programmer. Although, in my opinion, I'd think dealing with their need to alter the original design of what you had/have in mind would be more draining than explaining things.

The amount of work put into the pixel art is enough for a solid release with plenty of entertainment... I just need to figure out if this should be worked on or not... I also don;t want a bunch of new or unknown programmers messaging me (as they have before) trying to "help". If you're known for working on anime specific games that are clearly rips or have nothing to show... I will ignore you.

Your targeted audience and the type of game you're aiming for makes the first statement remind me of empty promises made for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. IIRC, we had very few things planned out in terms of content -- enough for an average player to get through in a matter of hours ( days, if the game were a grindfest ). For a BYOND game, it would be an "okay" first release, but by any other standard, it would be equivalent to Early Access of a Steam game. That's not me jumping on your artistic ability either, by the way. A lot of terrain, 3 energy attacks, a handful of hair styles to select, and 9 equipment items just isn't enough for me ( personally ) to classify it as a solid release for the kind of game Suukou Faita- was designed to be.

A lot of the entertainment has to do with the programmer so, at the time, that was also my bad for not shelling out as much code as we'd have liked.

Anywho, thought I'd pop in and respond to this since it had to do with Suukou Faita-. Best of luck to you.
In response to Lige
Lige wrote:
stuff

I knew you still lurked here. am miss you :(
In response to Lige
Lige wrote:
Etc, etc...

There is actually more art than what you've seen. I kept working even after your departure.
lazy-zzzz's