In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
oopsitotallyjustpostedthelatestbuildbyaccident.

Looks interesting, I hope to take another look after it matures.
Also, smokebombs.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I'll
just
leave
these
here

Looks like he's got one hell of a urinary tract infection... ;)
Add Fan-Games it will hype it more :D

Unfortunately, fangames would bury the original stuff here. Within BYOND is actually intended to give original projects exposure as well as serve as a sort of encouragement for people to keep working.

On top of that, since it's compiled by a moderator and posted in an official front-facing section of BYOND, writing about fangame projects would be tantamount to BYOND giving fangames an official nod.

Right now, BYOND is taking a "safe harbor" strategy to policing illegal content. Safe harbor means that it would be unreasonable to expect the BYOND owners to hunt down and eliminate all traces of infringement on their site, thus they don't legally have to take direct action unless it is in compliance with a specific request.

As long as BYOND can prove that they didn't actively promote or encourage infringement, and as long as nobody can prove that they did not comply with a request that can be determined reasonable within a court of law, they can't be touched.

Unfortunately, promoting fangames themselves could be used against them legally. However, were you to post a reply to this thread regarding your project yourself, BYOND could reasonably ignore that without legal ramifications, seeing as it would be unreasonable to expect them to police all of their users all of the time.

The legal issues aren't really the big ones. It's more of an ideological issue. The team simply wants to give original projects a leg up, seeing as fangames already have an undue advantage over them with their existing fanbase.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:

Or you could just spin the product so that it is your own game inspired by whatever outside influences.
I'm ok its a fan-game because I want it to be if I wanted it to be original I'd do that lol.
In response to Ganite
Nothing wrong with a good fan game as long as it has quality, which yours from the images i remember did. Mine is kind of a mash up of titles I am a fan of atleast class and some customization wise. Though than the rest, like story and environment wise diverges into something else.
You people say "BYOND Within" is for "original" content? Are you guys brain dead? Path of Hero's MIGHT have original code, but all the artwork is ripped from a very old Dragonball game. How is THAT considered ORIGINAL CONTENT??? Byond sure has fallen in the past years... Such a shame.
How is THAT considered ORIGINAL CONTENT??? Byond sure has fallen in the past years

Well... Non-fangame at least.

Don't forget Avalon, and Sigrogana Legend 2 are using RPGMaker assets in violation of Enterbrain's EULA.

If you want to nitpick, we'd have five games up there on the list.
Nitpicking is fine by me. You can't say "original" and then pick and choose what "you" personally call "Original" content. You and I both know whats original and whats not...
K.

BTW, what I call original and what I don't doesn't matter. I have nothing to do with the moderation team, and I don't review games or have any input on standards. So... I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
K.

My point is... They talk about ONLY Original Games in the "BYOND Within" threads, yet they are talking about a game that IS NOT original. THAT is my point.

They not only mention ripped games (of their choosing), but they ALSO Publish the hubs for those rips. There are people out there that use ripped artwork out of necessity but, ripping artwork is STILL making a game a rip, so how can that get published or even spoke about in a Thread where only original content is to be discussed?
In response to Genesismagician
Genesismagician wrote:
My point is... They talk about ONLY Original Games in the "BYOND Within" threads, yet they are talking about a game that IS NOT original. THAT is my point.

They not only mention ripped games (of their choosing), but they ALSO Publish the hubs for those rips. There are people out there that use ripped artwork out of necessity but, ripping artwork is STILL making a game a rip, so how can that get published or even spoke about in a Thread where only original content is to be discussed?

I Totally Agree With This Point.
There are people out there that use ripped artwork out of necessity but, ripping artwork is STILL making a game a rip, so how can that get published or even spoke about in a Thread where only original content is to be discussed?

The intention is to try to showcase non-fangame content and reward active developers with a hearty pat on the back.

But I guess we could all just be dicks to one another and tear each other down all day every day instead of actually making stuff. That's cool too.
That's what Byond has come to with or without my rude commentary, so what's the difference?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
The intention is to try to showcase non-fangame content and reward active developers with a hearty pat on the back.

but how is it Non-Fangame when it clearly Rips Fangame art, and if you were to play it, it would still act like the game it was riped from aka a Dragonball Game.

but how is it Non-Fangame when it clearly Rips Fangame art, and if you were to play it it still acts like the game it was riped from aka a Dragonball Game.

Discussion's pointless on the subject. I'm gonna go actually work on stuff. You guys have fun trying to dismantle what's left of the community.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6