Decadence, Spirit Age, Ultimatum

I felt like clarifying: The above games you listed are the exception, and not the rule.

The majority of our games since 2002 or 2003 have been anime related. The majority of our games in 2000 and 2001 were original ideas. I remember playing dozens of independent RPGs when I first got here that were equally as good as, if not better than the majority of the semi-serious RPG projects that are actively hitting the hub today. Graphically, things have improved slightly, yes. However, overall gameplay and programming skill of the userbase as a whole has declined.

There are also good reasons for this within the anime crowd. Currently quite a few programmers bounce from game to game implementing systems into them for pay. They do it as fast as possible to get paid as quickly as possible. I've cleaned up after a number of these programmers and found that the systems they write fulfill the requirements of the job, but actually wind up later causing more problems than they do good. Since the community of for-hire programmers is fairly small (20 people at most), and tend to severely over-exaggerate their skill, this problem compounds each time one of these for-hire freelancers pops in to stack another as-fast-as-possible implementation on the already wobbly jenga tower that is the anime game.

Like I said, it comes down to code atrophy. We're just losing programmers that have the experience to really make DM work for them. That said, those that ARE sticking around and taking the job seriously do seem to be improving steadily.
Maybe if you all actually programmed something instead of talking crap on the forums we would get somewhere.

Just pointing out the obvious.
You for starting it, Ter13 for giving you licence and EmpireTeamz for getting on the 'Lets Hate BYOND' bandwagon.
In response to Zecronious
Let the haters hate. The people who like it will keep on doing it
In response to DanteVFenris
Exactly
Gateway, you're the biggest crap talker on BYOND as it stands and you have no creations on your account at all.

You literally haven't contributed anything.
I'm saying, actually contribute to BYOND and maybe things would improve.
Gateway is right in the way of criticism. It is important. I wish someone would critise mine so I knew where the biggest problems lie, but im sure ill get that or hopefully when i release my "beta" or "alpha" whatever you want to call it.

But you also don't need to be all negative all the time, sometimes people need some positive encouragment. Especially sense so many people seem to suffer self esteem issues now a days. I've always been between the edge of a socio path and a psychopath so i could never understand such feelings >:) but some people need it.

No thats a lie even i feel great when someone says good job or something.
I also almost fed a homeless man once.

So don't come at me with your "Empirez does nothing" crap. I do plenty things. Great and fabulous things.
Gateway, I prefer to write systems. You have haven't even got a system to your name though. Like you're happy to spend every day here criticising other people but then you haven't got anything which helps anyone.

I've made plenty of games, they just weren't successful or I gave up on them.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Don't worry Empirez your fabulous
I have some systems to my name too. Here are some of my pipe dream systems:

1. Revolutionary No Effort Training - It has long been every fan-game owners dream to take the "play" out of game play. First we had pbags, then self-train verbs, but what if we could take it one step further. What if we could eliminate the users need to press buttons at all? Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you the BYOND Node - BYOND's first ever headset that allows you to level up simply by thinking about leveling up! Tired of having to kick a log? Is pressing self-train and then walking away from your computer exhausting you and your loved ones? Well, stress no more! With BYOND Node, all you have to do is imagine yourself leveling up, and voila - you will begin to gain experience. Why interact with the game via keyboard and mouse when you can just sit there and look at the screen and have the game practically play itself!

Order your BYOND Node today for free! Just pay S&H!

BUT WAIT. Act now and we'll also ship you AutoRamen! Is heating up water for your noodles just too big of an inconvenience in your life? Kiss your problems goodbye, baby, because AutoRamen's patented WalkingPack technology allows the pack of ramen to literally grow legs and walk itself into the microwave so YOU can focus more on your GFX and anime bases and less on preparing your breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Order today!
In response to EmpirezTeam
that is almost too perfect hahaha
Gateway, useless ideas and you were never going to do any of them anyway. In fact I highly doubt you can even do 99% of what you say you can.
I love you guys too.

That said: I'm not calling anyone bad. I'm not calling anyone out to do something they aren't prepared to do. I'm just pointing out that there are good reasons for some of the sentiments that we have.

I do, however, think that the finger-pointing and screaming matches that we get into over the reality of the situation are doing more harm than the situation itself.

Chill out if you want to. I'm working on my little projects in the background, and Zec, I know you are working on yours. GR... Well, he's basically here to troll. Trying to reason with him's not really going to get you anywhere, Zec. It's just unfortunate that sometimes all it takes to troll this community is being honest or saying things that are accurate even if impolitic.

I dunno, Zec, I'm like you. I write little systems and I fix other peoples' code in the background. I get a lot of offers on my pager to work with people, which I usually either turn down in part, or simply offer my services for free rather than becoming a paid team member. --I don't want to name-drop the people who have sought me out in the last week alone, but let's just say I've been propositioned for paid work five times in the last two weeks.

I prefer to work with people I enjoy working with, though, which is why I'm primarily working for MDC and Xyberman at the moment. I really enjoy their company and what we're doing is a ton of fun.

Point is, it's easy to claim that we're all not doing anything. It's easy to blame others for the community problems and layer hyperbole on the forums. It's a lot harder to give it a realistic look in the eye and figure out the root reason why this sentiment exists.

The "BYOND is dying" posts have been common on these forums since 2002. We're still here 13 years later despite the sky constantly threatening to fall.

My post may have come across as critical, but if you read it again, you'll notice I spend quite a bit of time explaining WHY it makes sense that things are the way they are. I specifically didn't blame anyone for the problems we have, and I specifically didn't argue that A or B needed to be changed. It's just a reality of our situation and we should be honest with ourselves. I even offered praise to the individuals who are showing exemplary progress.

Let's all just chill out and make cool stuff, K?
In response to Ter13
I like you ter, your always so sensible. Sometimes people on the Internet forgot there's actual real people behind those keyboards and your definatley not one of those.

But yea we are all having fun here working on our games and being creative. Let's just have fun cause that's the reason you should be doing this
Hmmm I don't remember blocking anyone.
But maybe I did haha
I like you ter, your always so sensible. Sometimes people on the Internet forgot there's actual real people behind those keyboards and your definatley not one of those.

I... Actually don't deserve that. I sometimes forget that my approach isn't always what people need to hear. I especially forget that sometimes people are discouraged by being told to stop looking down at how far they've come and instead look up at how far they still have to go. I have a tendency of forgetting that my military background makes me look at challenge a bit differently than most around here, and that my age makes me particularly prone to realism rather than optimism and younger people find this discouraging. Tom and I have had some heart to hearts about my manner of speaking to people since I've been back. Tom's largely been the one in the right.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I've still got stuff I need to improve on. Particularly in my manner of dealing with actual human beings.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

I... Actually don't deserve that. I sometimes forget that my approach isn't always what people need to hear. Tom and I have had some heart to hearts about my manner of speaking to people since I've been back. Tom's largely been the one in the right.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I've still got stuff I need to improve on. Particularly in my manner of dealing with actual human beings.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6