Best of luck to you guys. It's great to see more developers using BYOND for serious projects.

Also just a note about the $20,000 discussion earlier: that amount is totally reasonable for a startup independent game. There is a huge distinction between what most BYOND oldbies consider to be a "BYOND game" and an actual independent game made with BYOND. Everyone should be thrilled to see that the former is finally ceding ground to the latter.
A good chunk of our criticism-- and maybe why we're not getting as much internal Kickstarter backing as we'd like-- has actually been doubt over whether or not we can make an MMORPG with that... and if BYOND didn't make it so much easier than it would be otherwise, then the fear is certainly a valid one.

Thank you for the support and the pledge, Silk!
You people are complaining about because you were never actually able to become this successful and publish something so great, and with actual launch strategy. The developers of Severed Worlds did it right, and now they're on their way to get the Steam Green Light just as nostalgia once did. I guess people cry over everything nowadays. If they can't put time into Updates and Content you guys blame management for their real lives. Funding works because it is motivation to clean this cesspool and HOLY hell, if I see YutPut putting someone else's creation and the motives behind the creation down, I will pull the trigger.
Thanks, Mike. But some of the concerns are certainly valid and things we will address, such as the quality of the gameplay. We could definitely do better & plan to improve things as we gather feedback and test!

In fact, we're doing that right now if anyone wants to join in on our stream: http://www.twitch.tv/doohl
Who was responsible for the quest/dialogue ideas?
That's me, though Doohl has written a handful of side-quests
I was looking at your donations. Can't believe single users put 300 dollars. Man if I had that money to toss around to donate I probably would. Keep up the good work. I'm still interested though if puck is inspired by puke?
I need to get pumped up. I see you guys as competition. Hopefully I get more motivated so I don't get lost. You guys have some damn strong dedication towards this project. Really admire the team
In response to DanteVFenris
Healthy competition is always good.
When is the twitch going back up.
Our livestreams aren't going to be a daily thing since they're somewhat distracting and slow progress, but the artist is going to be spriting in one on Wednesday.
You think you can do a teamviewer instead with chat and everything disabled?
In response to Mikeche
Mikeche wrote:
and publish something so great

i didn't know people were playing the game already. what's it like?

the only thing that irks me is when people talk about projects like this being good even before anybody plays them. the marketting plan for this game is fine and dandy, and the kickstarter results are nothing but predictable- people will buy into art. that's how a lot of pixel games make their money, because it's a strong niche appeal. secrets of grindea is doing alright because people see its fantastic animations and get interested. but it also has great gameplay.

a distinction has to be made between what a good game is vs what a successful game is. look at eternia: around 3-4 months after its release, it made around $3-4000(source: chance). but the game-play of eternia speaks for itself- most of the people around here, and anyone with a respectable opinion about game design think it's pretty bad.

tl;dr:
successful =/= good game
successful = good marketting (art, networking, press, etc)
In response to Nix
Nix wrote:
Mikeche wrote:
and publish something so great

i didn't know people were playing the game already. what's it like?

the only thing that irks me is when people talk about projects like this being good even before anybody plays them. the marketting plan for this game is fine and dandy, and the kickstarter results are nothing but predictable- people will buy into art. that's how a lot of pixel games make their money, because it's a strong niche appeal. secrets of grindea is doing alright because people see its fantastic animations and get interested. but it also has great gameplay.

a distinction has to be made between what a good game is vs what a successful game is. look at eternia: around 3-4 months after its release, it made around $3-4000(source: chance). but the game-play of eternia speaks for itself- most of the people around here, and anyone with a respectable opinion about game design think it's pretty bad.

tl;dr:
successful =/= good game
successful = good marketting (art, networking, press, etc)

No offense, but that's not much money. I guess it's good as it's a BYOND Game, but with that money you can't even recover what you spent on the art, so imagine the programmers... But yeah, I don't really enjoy that game either, too repetitive..
the programmers can sustain themselves on ramen, no worries.
I highly doubt that anything I say on this forum will affect the sales of a game largely advertised outside of it. If they make money, good for Chance. He invested a lot into this, and investment naturally deserves reward. And no matter what, if this is successful, it can only do good for BYOND.

But I don't think it is appropriate to praise any kind of game-play coming out of this until it is publicly available, after which I won't give a shit who says that they like it or not. There are developers here who pour their heart into their games, however, and to see someone who has no skills in game development other than an understanding of business and a large wallet get praise for how good he is at making games on a forum filled with game developers is irritating. Laserdog has released more games than Chance, but would you honestly get hyped about a game made by him if Laserdog paid for all his programming and art assets?
Almost all of the compliments in this thread had nothing to do with the gameplay, Nix.

Most people have been commenting on the art, and how dedicated their team seems to be when it comes to getting this game finished.
EmpirezTeam is supposedly a spriter for Severed world.

What? 0.0
In response to Master rla
Master rla wrote:
EmpirezTeam is supposedly a spriter for Severed world.

What? 0.0

A Frog can technically do ANYTHING.
In response to Nix
Nix wrote:
to see someone who has no skills in game development other than an understanding of business and a large wallet get praise for how good he is at making games on a forum filled with game developers is irritating.

This is an unfortunate way to look at things. People have different skill sets, and not everyone can be (or wants to be) a programmer. Having a vision for a project and then assembling/managing a team to make it happen is no small task. Frankly, the project leader is usually the most important role on a team, regardless of what industry you're in.

The gaming industry in particular is full of well known producers and designers whom you could accuse of not being true game developers... but that doesn't really mean anything. Shigeru Miyamoto wasn't involved in game development until shortly before he made Donkey Kong, and he was never a programmer. That obviously didn't stop him from developing many of the most important and influential videos games ever made.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9