Stray Games

by Falacy
because BYOND.
ID:1864512

BYOND Sucks #3
Top Devs

The biggest reason BYOND fails: Its developers are a terrible cycle of people who don't know what they're doing, trying to tell other people the right way to do things.

Check out this post made yesterday. Its a simple request for a view() that ignores lighting. The post has several replies from top... devs around the site, including Lummox, the person in charge of, not only developing the BYOND software/website/everything, but also the language itself. They all respond wrong, drastically wrong, which has degraded the conversation into a trollfest, as happens with 99% of BYOND posts, because of top... community members like these ones. Not only have they responded wrong in actual response form, but an (incompetent) admin has marked the feature as "redundant", because somebody else posted a DM snippet to manually reproduce the effect - in which case, practically every feature ever requested is redundant.

range proc: This instruction is identical to view() except visibility is ignored. All objects are included in the list whether they are visible or not.

Good day, sirs!
Damn, this guy just hates Byond Dev's :').
Still wonder how much money you made off of Dragon ball United.
In response to Toshiba7
Toshiba7 wrote:
Damn, this guy just hates Byond Dev's :').
Don't worry, I hate everything about BYOND equally =D

Still wonder how much money you made off of Dragon ball United.
No more than a minimum wage job, at best.
lel still using it ;3
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
lel still using it ;3

oYea, I fit right in with all of the other "top... devs" around here, really. I may be better than all of them (combined?), but being the best fly, on a pile of crap, isn't much of an accomplishment.
I've seen your code Falacy. You don't know what you are doing.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I've seen your code Falacy. You don't know what you are doing.

lol, says the guy who gave horrendously wrong advice, followed by equally awkward code, in the very topic that sparked this one.
You misunderstood his request. He wants a variant of view() that ignores lighting, but still obeys opacity rules. range() isn't sufficient for that.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1863682#comment15315502

^By the way, that post was actually a shot at you. You've made a lot of good feature requests over the years, but you've made as many redundant and stupid ones just like this one, and you always turn it into a moral crusade when you don't get your way.

It's hilarious to see you here, almost a decade later, still winging about why everything should be done for you, and still basically managing to make something of a point once in a blue moon.

Chance was absolutely right when he dressed you down: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1862038

You consistently don't know what you are talking about. People that talk to you are worse for it. People you "help" are worse for it.

I know this won't make a difference, though. You've always been a cunt.
Falacy, no offense but if BYOND sucked so bad then I'd imagine you wouldn't be here right now.

Yeah, I got mixed opinions on BYOND too, but seriously... If you don't like it, move on. It's that simple.

I'm simply tired of seeing your tantrums. Grow up already, it's about damn time.

Every time I see your posts about how much BYOND sucks and the fact that your still here just tells me you're too much of an amateur to be able to move past BYOND.

Either use BYOND to it's fullest or find another Engine/Framework. It's as simple as that. If you don't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
You misunderstood his request. He wants a variant of view() that ignores lighting, but still obeys opacity rules. range() isn't sufficient for that.

Direct him to range(), see if it solves his problem.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1863682#comment15315502
^By the way, that post was actually a shot at you. You've made a lot of good feature requests over the years, but you've made as many redundant and stupid ones just like this one, and you always turn it into a moral crusade when you don't get your way.

I don't see how its a shot at me, I think it goes well =D

It's hilarious to see you here, almost a decade later, still winging about why everything should be done for you, and still basically managing to make something of a point once in a blue moon.

Its not that everything should be done for ME, its that it should be done for the good of BYOND. If they ever want this engine to be a feasible platform for anything other than cybersex RP chatrooms, they need to step up their default feature support 1,000fold.

Chance was absolutely right when he dressed you down: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1862038
You consistently don't know what you are talking about. People that talk to you are worse for it. People you "help" are worse for it.

Somewhat true, though really by no fault of my own. I have been responsible for practically every improvement to this engine in those last 10 years, except maybe the multi-threaded processing, and not a single person has made use of them. The top 5+ most played games on BYOND right now are still just chatrooms with no actual gameplay - and half of those are Zeta rips. I can't make every game myself, only the good ones =D

Lavitiz wrote:
TLDR: Leave BYOND, you suck!

Its almost entirely an art (funding) issue. The plan is to finish Box Zombies, get it on Steam, use the money to fund a real game with Unity and/or port Box Zombies to it. I started work on 2 projects in Unity recently(?), they were both going swimmingly (design/programming/gameplay wise), until it came time to pad them with "content", essentially art assets. One of them hit an estimated $40,000 paywall.
Falacy Wrote:
I have been responsible for practically every improvement to this engine in those last 10 years

I think you overestimate yourself. Sure, you've made a lot of suggestions, but what have you done with them? You moved on to Unity, couldn't do anything without a Zeta/Ruto codebase to work from, and then came back here and talked shit about stuff you don't know anything about.

and not a single person has made use of them.

So, your response to seeing someone actually using the engine improvements you are so proud of is to call their game a scam and attempt to discredit them without any actual information on the subject?

You have a really odd fucking way of thinking. I don't think you have any good reason for why you are like this. You made a bunch of shitty anime games, then got a bunch of autistic teenage followers to boost your ego as a kid, and it fucked you up. It made you arrogant, and it stifled your development as a programmer and game designer.

You just plain don't know as much as you've convinced yourself that you do, and it's obvious to the only group of people in this community that actually know what they are talking about. That's why you got yourself banned, that's why everybody but 13-year-old autists can't stand you, and that's why you hate BYOND. The people you should be working with, the people you should be learning from, the people you should see as mentors and peers threaten to shatter your falsely inflated self image and peel back the cheap plastic veneer of the Messiah you pretend to be.

You might have convinced a bunch of autistic narutards that you are what you pretend to be, but anybody with any sense of competence on this site can see right through you.

So yeah, flip the table, turn it around, say: "Umadbro", and pretend that you are a troll, but were we talking in person, you'd hear that my voice wouldn't raise a bit saying this, my eyes wouldn't flare, my heart wouldn't race. I'd say it as calm as if I was saying a hail Mary in church. You don't make me mad. You are just cancerous and sad.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
TLDR: Leave BYOND, you suck!
I don't even...

Falacy wrote:
Its almost entirely an art (funding) issue. The plan is to finish Box Zombies, get it on Steam, use the money to fund a real game with Unity and/or port Box Zombies to it.

If you're looking to port Box Zombies to Unity, you could do that now. That part doesn't seem to be a funding issue if you plan to use Box Zombies as the solution to your funding issue.

Falacy wrote:
The top 5+ most played games on BYOND right now are still just chatrooms with no actual gameplay - and half of those are Zeta rips.

See what these games accomplished with BYOND? Hey, they even had funding issues and made it just fine.

Imagine what you could do outside of BYOND. I'm not even attempting to troll you, we know if you go use another Engine or Framework that you can do so much more than BYOND allows you to do. Sometimes you have to push through and use recycled materials until you start generating income or catch someones eye who will work for you for free.

I understand your frustration with BYONDs limitations. I really do. Now is that time you do something about it. Be productive with the time you do have and move on if it's not your thing.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
So, your response to seeing someone actually using the engine improvements you are so proud of is to call their game a scam and attempt to discredit them without any actual information on the subject?

Since the rest of your post was just nonsensical projecting, I'll respond to that bit =D

Banning people because they criticize your work is arguably illegal (Severed World's Kickstarter is almost as suspicious as the one explained there), pathetically childish, and usually a good sign that the work is, indeed, terrible (this is what I have been banned for, every time). This is essentially what the post you're referring to, about me calling their game a "scam", is about. Eternia (their previous project) has terrible gameplay, unless its improved a HUGE amount since I played it last, its essentially just a chatroom with a shiney background. Severed World looks equally as bad, based on the few gameplay portions shown.

The features they're promising are also suspicious, I can almost guarantee they won't be able to fit 300 players in a server, they won't be able to have a (functional) mobile version (if any at all), I also have a suspicion that some of the screenshots are faked (which would be an odd thing to do), among other concerns. Most BYOND games with pretty art never get released, in fact, Eternia is the only one I know of that has, out of at least a dozen I've seen advertised, and it didn't turn out very good gameplay wise.

Its nothing personal against them, really, every project ever put on Kickstarter is a scam. I actually hope Severed World will succeed (unlike NEStalgia, which was trash run by trash, and is single handedly responsible for killing BYOND). Especially if they can indeed deliver on every promise they are making. However, they likely won't. My guesstimate for their jellybean collection is that it will end at $9,368, and never see the mobile release its promised, regardless of funding results.

Lavitiz wrote:
If you're looking to port Box Zombies to Unity, you could do that now. That part doesn't seem to be a funding issue if you plan to use Box Zombies as the solution to your funding issue.

This is somewhat true. However, I do plan on "upgrading" the graphics with the move to unity - using simple 3D graphics at least - art I could still likely handle myself. A style like this would be nice. The other, and bigger concern, is that the game has yet to find a foothold for players. Though I feel it is finally nearing that point, after 3ish years of work. Once it finds its sparkle, porting that appeal to Unity will be more of a sure thing, and a good dedicated use of time.

See what these games accomplished with BYOND? Hey, they even had funding issues and made it just fine.

They've accomplished nothing (meaningful)? Aside from maybe padding their own pockets with what is inarguably illegal copyright infringement and/or theft. Nor did they have funding issues? Downloading somebody else's game, renaming it - not the most expensive process in the world.
Banning people because they criticize your work is arguably illegal

Oh come on, the link you posted doesn't even remotely support your statement. That developer abused DMCA takedowns to remove criticism of his game. It's not even remotely related to banning a persistent internet troll that has lived his life in an echochamber of autistic anime fanboys for 4 years because he's too scared to swim in deeper waters despite his bold claims of being "the best developer here".

Your audience is shit. Your arguments are all shit. Your claims are all shit. If you ever manage to make anything worth playing I am going to sit back and laugh at you while your toxic attitude and overinflated ego figuratively gets you crucified on the internet by customers that are just like you.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
TLDR: The BYOND community sucks!

Well aware, your attitude in these posts only enforces that point lol
The BYOND community does suck. You are in the #3 spot for shittiest user, though. The saddest part is that you can't even suck hard enough to make #1 in making this place toxic.

You never bothered to look past this community. Instead you steeped yourself in a toxic community and you wonder why you hate it so much. All you've ever done is spread vitriol and horrible code.

/thread
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
The BYOND community does suck. You are in the #3 spot for shittiest user, though. The saddest part is that you can't even suck hard enough to make #1 in making this place toxic.

oNo Who gets a bigger trophy than me? You? Popisfizzy? Nadrew? Silk? Tom?! I demand a recount!
In response to Lavitiz
He's just calling it what it is. I don't think he hates BYOND or he would't be here still. I think it's more that he cares so much and believes in BYOND, but feels that many decisions have killed BYOND's potential.
BYOND gunna do wat BYOND gunna do
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
He's just calling it what it is. I don't think he hates BYOND or he would't be here still. I think it's more that he cares so much and believes in BYOND, but feels that many decisions have killed BYOND's potential.

The sad truth is that if it isn't enough for you now, it's best to find something that is. Possibly revisit in the future to see how far it's come. Regardless I understand his frustration there.