Stray Games

by Falacy
because BYOND.
ID:1864653

BYOND Sucks #4
Security

"We refuse to stop handing out keys to your front door, because people who know how to pick locks could get in anyway."

Can you guys work on the DDOSing for byond games and servers? It ruins games and player experience when this happens.
Nadrew wrote:
That's entirely up to the host to handle, not the engine. There's really no way to prevent issues on a BYOND-level.
It's not really possible to mask your IP if you're hosting something, there'll always be some way for the client to determine the IP of the server it is connected to, if not through the BYOND client through a network monitor. If you're being DDOS'd on your personal connection contact your ISP and take legal action.

This is an incredibly simple change, that would likely only take a few seconds, have no negative impacts, and would greatly improve the security for hosts. Its also practically impossible to stop a DDOS attack once its happening, so if malicious people easily have your IP, you're screwed - arguing that we should hand IPs out like candy will earn you +10 stupidity.

I've been under DDOS attacks before, as have my professionally managed/owned, quite expensive servers. "Contacting your ISP to take legal action" is ridiculous nonsense. Mine might as well not even have known what a DDOS attack was, no less helping me actually deal with the problem - and taking legal action is nearly impossible, because there's no way to really track a DDOS attacker.

This video about DDOS just happened to come out a few hours ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I4O4hoKzb8 =D

Good day, sirs!
Protip: defending against DDoS attacks isn't something you tend to do at the software level. You tend to do it at the network infrastructure level.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2564424/security0/ how-to-defend-against-ddos-attacks.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10787062/ how-to-avoid-dos-attack-in-this-code

http://www.gregthatcher.com/Azure/ Ch5_HowToStopADenialOfServiceAttack.aspx

DDoS attacks are rarely a software issue, and any decently experienced software engineer is going to tell you the same. This is a network infrastructure issue.

When you host a server, you broadcast your location to the world. If you want to use BYOND, you have just given the world the keys to your front door.

Buy a domain an purchase a hosting service that actually gives you options when it comes to DDoS mitigation. Of course hosting your shitty anime rip from your Windows 2000 laptop in your autistic cousin's basement on wifi is going to make DDoSing you retardedly easy.

Do you actually know anything, or do you spend all day every day talking out of your ass?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
TLDR: I just earned +10 stupidity =D

I'm well aware of how DDOS attacks work, and how to (or how there's really not way to) deal with them. I have one of the most expensive router/modems available for general consumers, it has DDOS protection, it does nothing. The only real way to deal with it is to have more bandwidth and processing power than it can overtake, usually at a pre-emptive connection point - something that I doubt any BYOND game will ever have, something that I doubt anything less than a multi-million dollar corporation would even consider, and even most of those can't. Networks like PlayStation and XBOX have been DDOSd, massive online services, designed to handle huge user volume, likely with security experts and precautions already in place. Good luck handing out your IP to BYOND users.

If the traffic reaches your router and/or firewall, which it will on any kind of personal network, it has already gone too far, and nothing you do at that point will mitigate it. Hiding IPs is a simple first step of protection, with no downsides.
WIN+R

CMD

ENTER

NETSTAT

Feature foiled in 13 keystrokes. Maybe you should use that immense intellect and "better than everyone else combined" DM skill to do something other than bitch about how Lummox owes so much to someone who did nothing more than shit on him, libel others, commit copyright infringement, fraud, and theft.

You are a real piece of work, Falacy. Ah well, time to stop paying you attention again. You might start to think you are still relevant.
Assuming you have no other network activity and/or the brain power to identify the important one. You giving out such methods is about 10x stupider than BYOND handing out IPs.

I've always found it interesting how I get banned for telling people their software could be improved, while maliciously offensive trolls like you are allowed to roam free.
Falacy wrote:
Assuming you have no other network activity and/or the brain power to identify the important one. You giving out such methods is about 10x stupider than BYOND handing out IPs.

Just because basic computer knowledge is beyond you doesn't make it magic that's tucked away in some white tower in some far off land.

Nice moral outrage, bro. I'm sure all those no legs to stand on are sturdy as fuck.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Just because basic computer knowledge is beyond you doesn't make it magic that's tucked away in some white tower in some far off land.
You'd be surprised.

Maybe you should use that immense intellect and "better than everyone else combined" DM skill to do something
I am, haven't you seen Box Zombies? =D

other than bitch about how Lummox owes so much to someone who did nothing more than shit on him
I haven't done much of anything to Lummox (yet?)? I think his name takes care of most of the work for us, a lot like mine =P

libel others, commit copyright infringement, fraud, and theft.
Fraud, theft, and libel?! This is madness! Copyright infringement? No comment.

Ah well, time to stop paying you attention again.
You aren't doing a very good job of this so far =P
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Falacy wrote:

Nice moral outrage, bro. I'm sure all those no legs to stand on are sturdy as fuck.

Good one, Ter. You hurt my ribs.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Falacy wrote:

Good one, Ter. You hurt my ribs.

Not sure if serious, but pretty sure that quote chain is getting screwy, because we we're cross editing posts at eachother =P
In response to Falacy
Xirre wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Falacy wrote:
I'm a goofy goober yeah.

You're a goofy goober yeah.

We're all a goofy goober yeah...

Seems like we are all goofy goobers