ID:1864833

Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I don't want my game to show players ads any more, can you perhaps at some point develop a system where hub owners can pay monthly to provide their players an ad free experience?
Hub owners kind of already do this with memberships. The problem is that the ads are displayed per server and not the game as a whole. Hosting is also an issue because sometimes server hosts aren't people, but VPS', which make it much more difficult to track who's where.

I'm not going to pretend that I know all of the logistics behind the hub ads, but I'm sure there are reasons that this already hasn't be implemented.
I would like to add onto this and just have hub memberships.

The ability to purchase a hub plan which adds hub-based storage (storage for only that hub, regardless if the hub owner has membership or not), and ad-free option.

So, basically, the ability to purchase a membership for the hub itself, regardless if the hub owner has membership. Then give that hub special features like storage, ad-free, and whatnot. Hub membership can be extended/gifted by members. Hub storage will only allow access from that specific hub. So uploading host files, resource files, etc. can only be made available to that hub as host files, or to servers that authenticate hub and hub_password.

Ad-Free option would check if the server hub and hub_password are correct, if correct then don't display the ads. The same exact method as player membership, pretty much.
I am definitely planning to do something along the lines of allowing authors to do something about ads for all of their players. This is very high on my priority list.
Just uninstall internet explorer, ads gone.
In response to Gold Sora
Doesn't the browser function in interface files require IE?
You can't actually uninstall IE entirely from a Windows system, if you do it basically breaks 99% of the system operation because Windows Explorer relies on it.
Explorer and IE have been separated for some time thanks to an EU and USA antitrust suit. Disallow IE access to the internet or modify your HOSTS file, either solution should accomplish what you're after!
BUMP
That option would be great, it's a must add thing to a byond.
In response to Lummox JR
I really think you should consider the rest of Alex's post. I've been begging for a hub->game storage suite for a long long time, this looks like a golden opportunity. A way to access files stored on the hub from the game and visa versa, in addition to removing ads, is a service I'd be more than willing to pay for in addition to my membership, even on a per-hub basis.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
I really think you should consider the rest of Alex's post. I've been begging for a hub->game storage suite for a long long time, this looks like a golden opportunity. A way to access files stored on the hub from the game and visa versa, in addition to removing ads, is a service I'd be more than willing to pay for in addition to my membership, even on a per-hub basis.

Money is no object when it comes to this. I'm willing to pay what it takes to have this!
3 years later...

Bump.

Lummox JR said:
This is very high on my priority list.
In response to FKI
Lummox JR said:
This is very high on my priority list.

Bump. It's probably too late to see it in 513, but any plans on allowing this as an option by 514?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I am definitely planning to do something along the lines of allowing authors to do something about ads for all of their players. This is very high on my priority list.

For real though, where are we with this? It was a high priority 4 years ago. I don't mind if it's a monthly subscription or pay per X plays. The issue I'm having is that I've had a handful of people get annoyed at the wait times during private testing, so I can imagine on a larger scale, I'm going to have a lot of upset players. I dislike giving my private testers the ultimatum of either to just deal with the wait times or become a BYOND member. It's not very user-friendly advice to give to my player base as a developer.
Bump. I'd like to give you my money for the sake of my player base, even if it's a monthly fee. Maybe a "premium" membership.
+
Maybe in 4 more years
Bump for 2020.
Page: 1 2