Stray Games

by Falacy
because BYOND.
ID:1864867

Grats on Greenlight, especially in just a week =D

Lummox wrote:
NEStalgia made triple what your Kickstarter page is asking for in just the first couple days on Steam.

1000% confirmation that getting a game on Steam, no matter how unappealing or terrible it is, or how much of a scumbag you are to get it there, will fill your pockets well enough. The plan for Box Zombies is a solid one =)
They only made that much because they got exposure and was actually placed on the front page of Steam. Whether or not Severed World will get that exact same treatment, we don't know. But, if they do, they can expect to make a lot of money.
Were they featured on the front page? In the big section at the top? I thought I remember them never crossing into the top 30 on the top sellers list (34 I think was the highest they got?), and disappearing completely off it after about a week. And I thought they only had a minimal featuring in the smaller "new releases" section below the main feature board - which is most likely automatic and guaranteed. http://store.steampowered.com/

NEStalgia never had any meaningful exposure (which I would primarily consider youtube coverage by somebody like PewDiePie at this point), and even after 2 separate attempts at massive external advertising (coverage by gaming "magazines", and then the Steam release), their game never ballooned to the #1 most played game, not even #1 on BYOND, that's pretty pathetic. Severed World can easily take that spot - if they deliver what they're advertising. Plus NEStalgia died off quickly both times - something they could have avoided if they built a decent game and got a following before attempting a scam marketing campaign. But it has always seemed to be Silk's intention to take a quick cash out and run with the money, never to actually make a good game or help BYOND.

Either way, now that Severed World has been greenlit, its pretty much guaranteed they will make at least 100k, assuming they manage to release, I don't see why the wouldn't. 10x what they were begging for on Kickstarter, through a method of actually earning and deserving it. #respect
I just hope you continue to work on the game please don't be one of those thousands of developers who barely works on it and then walks off with the money abandoning the game...it's quite sickening and it hurts steams image.
I think NEStalgia got a lot more exposure on Steam than the average new game, because they were one of a handful to be greenlit when it was first launched. I'm very excited either way.
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
I think NEStalgia got a lot more exposure on Steam than the average new game, because they were one of a handful to be greenlit when it was first launched.

Took them over a year to get greenlit o.O
Respect lost. Apparently Severed World is a cheap knockoff of this, which makes it look disgustingly inferior by comparison. GG BYOND, worse than my knockoff Clicker =P
While we're on the subject of you doing it wrong. Stop trying to sell the game, especially if you're marketing it with mobile as a major hook. Sell "hats" instead - you have a well funded art department, I'm sure they can throw such things together in no time.
falacy, haven't spoken to you in a while. i thought you were gone from byond, my friend.

now that i see you're here, i just wanted to touch base with you on the curb stomping silk wizard gave you a few years ago. have you fully recovered from that yet or did he curb stompt you so far into the ground that you'll never see the light of day again

not rekt [ ] rekt [ X ]
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
curb stomping silk wizard gave you a few years ago.

Link, please. I want to see what went down. I'm interested.
lol I forgot about that.I guess silk wizard is my true spirit animal then.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
now that i see you're here, i just wanted to touch base with you on the curb stomping silk wizard gave you a few years ago. have you fully recovered from that yet or did he curb stompt you so far into the ground that you'll never see the light of day again

You mean the one he gave BYOND? No, it hasn't fully recovered, has barely 50% of the players it did when I was /carrying this pathetic excuse for an engine, and went so bankrupt thanks to Silk that Tom has officially /ragequit it. As was obvious all along, his game is a failure, with barely 20 players, even after a Steam release. Though, it was arguably the most successful game ever on BYOND, likely earning him nearly 250k. He gladly took that money and ran, learning well from the BYOND staff he trained under, not doing a single thing to give back to the community he stole all that money from.
Silk is planning to make another game as well, or at least hinted at something along those lines.

What are your thoughts on this, Mr. Falacy? Can you survive a 2nd curb stompting courtesy of Silk? And will he do even better this time around, earning double, maybe even TRIPLE of what he collected from NEStalgia?

And I notice you accused him of stealing. Stealing is the Devil. Do you think his prosperity could be the direct result of making a blood pact with Hades and the abominations of Tartarus?
Xirre wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:
curb stomping silk wizard gave you a few years ago.

Link, please. I want to see what went down. I'm interested.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=111344

EmpirezTeam wrote:
Silk is planning to make another game as well, or at least hinted at something along those lines.

Hopefully he uses a better engine than BYOND.

What are your thoughts on this, Mr. Falacy? Can you survive a 2nd curb stompting courtesy of Silk? And will he do even better this time around, earning double, maybe even TRIPLE of what he collected from NEStalgia?

There's nothing to curb stomp, I suppose he could get BYOND shut down again, considering 3 of the most/only played games right now are Zeta rips, one of which still being blatantly DBZ branded, but it would have practically zero impact on me this time around, probably wouldn't even effect BYOND all that much, considering its already dead.

Its also unlikely he would be able to make any more money than he already has, what he made for NEStaglia was basically the default amount you get just for releasing a game on Steam (roughly 80-100k at release, even for the worst selling titles, based on an article I read, and according to Lummox, he only made about half that), nothing too impressive.

Considering NEStalgia barely made it past greenlight (took them over a year), back when greenlight was a rampant thing, and Silk has shown he either lacks the ability or intent to make good/interesting games, its unlikely a 2nd product by him would be able to make it at this point. NESwanabes only get you so far, a lot farther than they should, apparently.

And I notice you accused him of stealing. Stealing is the Devil. Do you think his prosperity could be the direct result of making a blood pact with Hades and the abominations of Tartarus?

I actually don't consider him much of a thief, though his product was intentionally low quality trash that he in no way meant to offer support for - this was well established before he sold it. Though his methods of promotion and removing negative comments were quite scumbag, the money was still semi-legit. The stealing is more a reference to BYOND, who take all their money from ads and memberships - earned by game developers - that they in no way return the support to.

EDIT: Also worth noting, you're the perfect example of the malicious trolls around here, who contribute nothing, have a purely negative impact on the community, but never receive a ban because you play nice with the admins.

EDIT 2.0: That isn't to say I think you should be banned, just pointing out how incompetent and unjustified the BYOND admins are. Bans, by any competent community, should only be used to get rid of "people" who make the service literally unusable. For example, spambots (not just chat spam, but things like gold farming bots), these generally aren't even people, and things like hackers/cheaters, whose aim-bots make a game unplayable, potential DDOSers, which is again just a network of bots. These are people who have more or less proven they don't actually want to use the service, so banning them is of no concern, however, offenses like these generally don't even apply to forums, and the 12 year old "volunteer" admins around here probably shouldn't even have a ban button, probably not even a delete-post button for that matter.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
EDIT: Also worth noting, you're the perfect example of the malicious trolls around here, who contribute nothing, have a purely negative impact on the community, but never receive a ban because you play nice with the admins.

I was actually banned for about a week and a half recently. Before that, I had countless posts of mine removed from the forums. Before that, I was banned for nearly a year until Teka contacted one of the admins and asked that they lift my blog ban. TELL ME AGAIN HOW I NEVER GET BANT.
Nothing wrong with a little troll. If anything, ET kept me around here long enough to contribute a small bit to the dev help section and aid some people on their projects. I'd probably be gone in 2013 or sooner. He's not malicious. I get some laughs from his posts.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Nothing wrong with a little troll. If anything, ET kept me around here long enough to contribute a small bit to the dev help section and aid some people on their projects. I'd probably be gone in 2013 or sooner. He's not malicious. I get some laughs from his posts.

Which is exactly why I don't believe such people should be banned. Even a negative impact, is better than no impact at all. Just look at LoL, that community deserves a holocaust, but it probably makes more money than any other game in existence.