The Dying Breed

by Mr. RJT
The Dying Breed
Open world multiplayer zombie survival
ID:1886092

[This post contains no pictures]

A problem I have frequently noticed in multiplayer zombie survival games is that there are no incentives in working with a stranger. All strangers are seen as dangerous walking bags of loot.

The Dying Breed is beginning to feel more and more "death-matchy." You spawn, attempt to gather loot, take a few in the belly, and respawn. I wanted to make it more "real," so a shot could make you bleed and potentially take you out. Therefore, my idea was that it would deter you from entering combat...NOPE!

I realize that I could never completely control how a game plays, or should play, without stripping out core features. I have been thinking that in order to promote the idea of team work, there could possibly be rounds. Players would select an occupation that would bring a certain level of skill that others cannot.

Therefore, a hunter may not want to slay a cook as they'll want their catch to be cooked properly. And the cook would not want to slay a "Wilderness Survival Expert" as he holds the 'keys' to starting a fire.

Either way, I'll get something release and then go from there.
I think round based gameplay featuring a class system would definitely help promote teamwork.
Yut Put wrote:
if a player plays the game the way it was meant to be played, that's the sign of a good game design

If you happen to have an idea on implementing it better then I'm definitely all ears!

Other than that, I feel that the occupation system would allow the game to be played based upon my designs.
In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:
I think round based gameplay featuring a class system would definitely help promote teamwork.

I'm certainly leaning towards it. Thanks!
Yut Put wrote:
if a player plays the game the way it was meant to be played, that's the sign of a good game design

Would be a little better if you provided some proper critique no? It's impossible to make a game that everyone is going to play "the way it was meant to be played" That kind of thinking is a little closed minded in my opinion.

EDIT: I know you of all people should have some helpful tips for game design.
At the risk of tooting my own horn, Feed dumped you in a game with strangers but players would still work together more often than not. Give players a common goal and don't offer any "first come, first serve" rewards.
Kumorii wrote:
At the risk of tooting my own horn, Feed dumped you in a game with strangers but players would still work together more often than not. Give players a common goal and don't offer any "first come, first serve" rewards.

I'll check Feed out. Did it also have PvP?

GreatPirateEra wrote:
No pics? Nope.

If you're truly interested in pictures, you can check out some of my previous posts.
In response to Mr. RJT
It's not really hosted anymore but there's a few videos on YouTube. I've been meaning to fix it up for months.
Survival games convey scarcity and struggle. You should check out Haven & Hearth.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3196
In response to GoldenArk
GoldenArk wrote:
Survival games convey scarcity and struggle. You should check out Haven & Hearth.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3196

Thank you Ark. I'll have a break tomorrow and will look over this forum.

My original goal was to release the game early and then get feedback. But it appears that I continue to add more and more instead.

Yut Put wrote:
Kumorii wrote:

my favorite part of feed was blowing up other people with grenades and molotov cocktails

Except grenades couldn't kill other players.