ID:1888525

Poll: Allowed on BYOND?

List Anything 31% (20)
Force Quality Standards 46% (30)
Greenlight Style Voting 21% (14)

Login to vote.

BYOND Sucks #5
Zeta Rips

The main page is becoming increasingly overrun with Zeta rips as of late, seems to be 4 of them now. For those of you who don't know, Zeta rips originated from an old DBZ game (there are also Bleach and Naruto sources with the same problem), the source of which was released (era after era), certain devs then steal this source, change the name, and re-post it to BYOND for their own benefit.

Such projects should never have been allowed in the first place, they have been a plague on BYOND for at least a decade now, but sadly, BYOND has no sort of quality control or self respect or sanity, so they just let literally anything onto their main page (one of the many reasons this platform is failing). The DMCA from FUNimation helped this issue for a time, but now that Lummox has taken over, he must think it doesn't apply to him, or hes just so desperate for money that he'll allow anything. His response when the issue was brought to his attention: "We don't police rips or actively police entries; all we do is comply with the legal obligation to handle valid DMCA requests, and hold authors to act in good faith in what they post. Anyone who posts content they think may draw a complaint does so at their own risk."

For starters, its 100% his responsibility to deal with this problem now, though he refuses to accept any of it, apparently, or possibly, and even more revoltingly, is actively going out of his way to encourage the problem. These games shouldn't be allowed public listing in the first place, as they encourage theft and low production quality. At the very least, they should all be classified under a single hub entry, as some sort of "mods" (one of the ways SS13 has gained such popularity). Its also not "at their own risk", as Lummox claims; Last time, it got the entirety of BYOND shut down, with little direct impact on the rip developers themselves.

Though the listing of rips is bad practice in any case, the primary reason I bring this up now, is because one of the latest, and most popular, is still blatantly DBZ infringing. Here is a quick page of stolen content, found in just the first few minutes of play. With the other rips, Phoenix (previously Z Universe, previously Dragon Universe, previously Lizard Sphere X, previously Finale, previously some era of Zeta (likely Rebirth(?))), they at least put minimal effort into "re-skinning" their rip, to remove the infringing content.

If BYOND is so desperate to allow such blatantly infringing content back on the main page, they may as well re-list HU, its no more infringing, and would certainly pull in a lot more players.

EDIT: Apparently you can't edit polls =P
the only byond goal is make money.........everything else is futile
In response to Denshichiro
Denshichiro wrote:
the only byond goal is make money.........

That's the goal of everything, really, can't judge them too harshly for it.
In response to Denshichiro
Denshichiro wrote:
the only byond goal is make money.........everything else is futile

Well if they want to make money, getting sued for copyright infringement seems like a poor way to do it :^)

That aside, it really breaks my heart when BYOND could've been so much more. It came around at a really opportune time and has slowly died off.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Well if they want to make money, getting sued for copyright infringement seems like a poor way to do it :^)

Its unlikely they would get sued for any monetary value, more likely they would just be shut down and lose any further potential income. Similar to what has already happened to them, but to a worse degree lol
Preach Falacy.
falacy is the king of byond
Totally not falacy's alt account btw
Quick question, does a non-profit dbz game on byond qualify for copyright infringement?
In response to Cheesy pants
Cheesy pants wrote:
Quick question, does a non-profit dbz game on byond qualify for copyright infringement?

Yes, profit has nothing to do with it, aside from a potential gain/motivation for the IP holder in a lawsuit. Either way though, most of those Zeta rips are indeed for profit. What is now titled Z Universe sells (as last I knew) stat packages, and Dragon Ki sells pet Puars (another infringement in itself), which give you boosts.
yep, I know about Z Universe packs, and Dragon Ki, which is in itself, just eye candy (by byond's standards I should add) and it's puars accompanied by lack of any redeeming features. Welp, as a person who spent over a year making an original dbz game, I guess there's nothin left but to quit byond now :l
Box Zombies is just another zeta rip without the log training
You have to do that quest King Kai gives where he tells you to catch bubbles and hit gregory then you can revive.
In Z Universe Lizard Sphere X doesn't even care about Z Universe anymore as he said - I heard people saying. So I really don't get why he would continue it, though it might be the case of -EXGenesis- being a total butt still making Lizard Sphere X code it and such.

Edit: @Urashime so true.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:

Don't worry, Box Zombies has log training now too, in the form of Clicker.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

Don't worry, Box Zombies has log training now too, in the form of Clicker.

<3
Hi Falacy, i have voted for "Force Quality Standards" - in my opinion, it"s the best choice :-}
Personally I think BYOND should stop masquerading as a gaming site and a development platform. Pick one, preferably the development platform. Then you can remove all of this interplay between needing a BYOND key to play games. That's the most bullshit thing about BYOND if you ask me. Name any other platform that says, "You have to be a user of the website the developer downloaded the IDE from to play this game". I haven't bothered to research this, but I'm willing to bet the answer is a list of entries reasonably close to length ZERO.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Personally I think BYOND should stop masquerading as a gaming site and a development platform. Pick one, preferably the development platform. Then you can remove all of this interplay between needing a BYOND key to play games. That's the most bullshit thing about BYOND if you ask me. Name any other platform that says, "You have to be a user of the website the developer downloaded the IDE from to play this game". I haven't bothered to research this, but I'm willing to bet the answer is a list of entries reasonably close to length ZERO.

Its less a problem with them providing an account system, which is a good, though limiting, feature. Steam more or less does the same. In fact, the entirety of BYOND is pretty much a really really bad version of Steam. BYOND has refused to accept this concept, and adapt accordingly, as I have been telling them to do for years. They seem to be trying to move in the exact opposite direction for some reason.

It is more a problem with how horrendously the BYOND account creation process is handled - or, more importantly, that BYOND game distribution is near impossible and non existent. They have an exe maker, but its complete and utter garbage, quite sure its literally unusable unless you get the BYOND devs to custom design it for your game. I made a far better one myself, in like 2 hours, with about 10 lines of C++ and a bit of DM (the customization aspect being fully designed in DM, something any dev planning to release a BYOND game should be capable of). They also have the web client, which if they ever manage to get functional, would be amazing, but currently, every aspect of it is bugged/broken/nonsense, and they had claimed it as functional nigh on a decade ago.

Without external distribution options, no BYOND game will ever be successful. Most top played Steam games have more players than the entirety of BYOND combined. Nobody with half a brain wants to download unknown app A, to play unknown app B. I certainly wouldn't download BYOND if I happened across it today for the first time.
Wow. I voted without reading first o.o i feel stupid now.