ID:1890256

BYOND in itself is declining due to many issues. Starting off with BYOND, its website has poorly done games with few good ones along with rips, membership is in fact useless, and you guys are honestly reliant on donations meaning their is not a healthy circulation of money flowing in.

Membership: Membership has no usage due to the fact that special in-game items stats, skins, characters, classes, and what not all have to be purchased through sending money to the owner of the game; in which I find to be illegal as they are using means of making money off of what I'd say copy righted things such as "Naruto" or "Bleach". You need to have some form of official moderation created outside of these games that checks up and sees too that these bonuses are given to members whom have purchased membership from your site. Don't misinterpret me, I don't mind donations going to support owners, but when you are creating a system where one must pay you to receive in game content rather then have it made available to those who own BYOND membership is a terrible thing to do and it ruins BYOND.

Games: The quality in games is declining. What I purpose? Start a project where some of BYONDs best coders and iconers will be payed for making quality games if they come together, sort of like them working for BYOND; as well as removing rips from the site. Rips separate player bases as well as create unnecessary clutter as either the "creater" just takes the rip as it is and hosts the incomplete game never again to update it it because the person is clueless and can't code nor icon. Then their is the latter, whom takes the rip and slaps in retarded updates adding in continuous poorly done content.

Money: Through some of the ideas presented this should allow for currency to flow back in to BYOND, rather then begging for donations.

Understand I'm open to allowing/adding in ideas of everyone. As well as the fact that I'm just pointing out clear flaws with the site that BYOND has failed to evolve yet and solve these issues. I truly hope BYOND will take this as a chance to grow and correct problems.
Inb4 people tell you, "Instead of complaining about the quality of games, why don't you make your own"

I've already proposed Quality Control, Resource Stores, and better community attitude but people think that if good ideas come from someone they don't like that those ideas aren't good. Thank goodness Hitler didn't propose a good idea for world peace, since no one would've gone with it.
Is it already that time of the week again?
Lugia319 wrote:
better community attitude

Do you have an appreciation of irony? Because I sure do.

Yut Put wrote:
Lummox is doing a really, really good job right now with the software, and that things are looking up in ways we won't necessarily see immediately.

Lummox being at the helm has been fantastic for the future of BYOND. He's really dived in in ways that have been wanted by the community for over a decade. Things are looking up.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:
better community attitude

Do you have an appreciation of irony? Because I sure do.

Irony a great source of my laughter throughout the day. But I know the joke you're trying to make. It fails though, because what most people interpret as my "bad attitude" is just them getting butthurt for being wrong.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
It fails though, because what most people interpret as my "bad attitude" is just them getting butthurt for being wrong.

I don't believe you've proven me wrong about anything, nor am I currently a butt hurt individual.

I still think you've got a bad attitude. Try again, please and thanks.
In response to Lavitiz
Lavitiz wrote:
I don't believe you've proven me wrong about anything, nor am I currently a butt hurt individual.

You're butthurt about something I said to someone else proving them wrong. Same deal really.

In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:

You're butthurt about something I said to someone else proving them wrong. Same deal really.

Quote, please. :)

I just want to see this site last is all which is why I'm concerned, their are probably more issues that I can't think up of right away but none the less I think some of my suggestions would aid quite a bit.
This thread has been made a billion times before, and the conclusion is always the same. BYOND needs good games.

But you can't demand people make good games. You just got to wait for someone to make one.
1. I'm not saying donations towards a owner are bad, I'm saying that they offer content for money is what's bad because the player base isn't giving money because they care to support the owner, it's cause they care for the unfair edge they gain in game. Also I'd offer to moderate games; others would probably too if given the chance, a simple system of three strikes.

-First is just a mere warning, give the owner of the game about a month or so to stop selling in game content and give those bonuses as BYOND membership perks.
-Second temporary closer of hosting for about a day. Owner must take out the selling of content.
-Third is complete ban of owner from hosting their game.

Three strike system would force owners to stop using illegal means of copy righted content.

2. The project idea would work after the first thing would be taken care of, such as removal of illegal selling of content, this way people would actually want to buy membership from BYOND resulting in cash. After a year or so they could accumulate enough money to hire those whom for certain can create extremely well done games meaning games that will make money for BYOND through subscriptions resulting in also the workers being payed a salary for their work thus a healthy system would come into place. I'm assuming I wasn't quite clear so I hope this gives you a better understanding of what I mean.
Second temporary closer of hosting for about a day.

Third is complete ban of owner from hosting their game.

BYOND admins can't really control who is hosting and who isn't. It's a level of involvement that is straight up invasive.

Honestly, we spent the last five years trying to police rips and all it's done is fracture the community and create these irate little pockets of deep-seated hate within the community.

No other engine out there attempts to police what people make with it. There's a reason for that: Because it's impossible to fully enforce, it's difficult to recognize what is and is not stolen content, and it's borderline impossible to determine original ownership on the web.

One of the hardest things about moderation is knowing when to act and when not to act. I struggled with this a lot. Knowing when to take action to prevent a problem isn't always a good thing. Sometimes preventing a problem from happening can result in people not being able to tell why you are acting.

There was recently a thread about inconsistent moderator actions being a major problem. This community has always been difficult to moderate because of the idea that authority figures somehow need to be beyond the human capacity for mistakes. This often goes with the territory of the predominant age-group of our users. Though, admittedly our biggest problem-children in this community are rarely preteens, they are grown men who should frankly know better.

Like I said, though, BYOND seems to be improving a lot and looks like it's going to keep getting better with Lummox behind the wheel. Let's have faith in our new overlord.
Spookyariton wrote:
BYOND in itself is declining due to many issues. Starting off with BYOND, its website has poorly done games with few good ones along with rips, membership is in fact useless, and you guys are honestly reliant on donations meaning their is not a healthy circulation of money flowing in.

Membership: Membership has no usage due to the fact that special in-game items stats, skins, characters, classes, and what not all have to be purchased through sending money to the owner of the game; in which I find to be illegal as they are using means of making money off of what I'd say copy righted things such as "Naruto" or "Bleach". You need to have some form of official moderation created outside of these games that checks up and sees too that these bonuses are given to members whom have purchased membership from your site.

This is completely false and wrong. Memberships work perfectly fine, stop playing garbage rips and you won't run into said problem. BYOND cannot moderate what it does not own, it can only moderate what is has access to. BYOND has access to the hub entries, and if the copyright owners request BYOND to remove publicity of the hub/entity then BYOND will. But BYOND has no say in controlling the content in a game. Also, the memberships are what keep the site and updates going. With no site and no updates, owners are forced to rely on self-publishing (which will cost money for web server hosting, advertisement/marketing, etc). With no updates the entity owners will be forced to only use what they are available to do with the software which will then force the entity owners to either be creative when they want to add more features or quit BYOND altogether and utilize another game-making software suite like Unity or Game Maker.

Games: The quality in games is declining. What I purpose? Start a project where some of BYONDs best coders and iconers will be payed for making quality games if they come together, sort of like them working for BYOND; as well as removing rips from the site.

Not feasible.
(A) You, yourself, can hire BYOND's "best coders" and get them together to make quality games. That's perfectly fine. But be prepared to spend well over $10,000 in a month alone then. These "coders" will have to take time out of their schedule which they could be utilizing to make their own projects or work at their jobs for overtime, etc.
(B) Removal of rips is difficult. When it boils down to it, most rips are within some form of copyright violation to begin with (look at FUNimation giving BYOND a C&D because someone decided they weren't making as much money Falacy was making so they complained to FUNimation to remove all games except theirs. Well, that doesn't fly with FUNimation. No one gets special exceptions.) The second difficult part of this is that no one entirely can prove original ownership of these rips since there is no legality set up. There's no copyright, nor trademark setup so BYOND can't draw strings out of a hat to decide whose rip can stay and whose has to go. Either every fan-game is removed, or removed on a per-case basis. Per-case basis isn't automatic either. Thirdly, majority of rips on this site are source codes that were intentionally and purposely released.

Money: Through some of the ideas presented this should allow for currency to flow back in to BYOND, rather then begging for donations.

BYOND doesn't "beg" for donations. It's simply put: You either donate if you can, or you don't. But, if BYOND can't support itself as a community, it won't be a community anymore (and will only be software).

BYOND doesn't need to correct any problems. It does a fine job for producing quality software for the type of technology it uses. The community needs to come closer together as a community and less of a preschool playground. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in, but it's inevitable no matter what community you go to. Gaming, Music, Automotive, Homeowners, etc. Doesn't matter. Same things pop up in every community.

This sort of post is done about once every 6 months and the same results apply every single time. BYOND doesn't do anything special. Someone brings this topic up again in another 3-6 months with the same concept/ideals. Rinse and repeat.
I don't exactly play rips. And the fact that you said the subscription system is fine is laughable.
In response to Spookyariton
Your medals disagree with you.
http://www.byond.com/members/Spookyariton?tab=medals&all=1

What other game, that's not a rip, is utilizing their own subscription service (besides any game that's being offered outside of BYOND)?

The subscription system is flawless and has been used on many multiple projects with great success.
The game owners are flawed. You should focus more on reporting any copyright violation to the copyright holders, and less on ranting to BYOND which will not make BYOND budge an inch since it's not BYOND's responsibility to.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:

That's a third-degree burn if I ever did seen one.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:

That's a third-degree burn if I ever did seen one.

To be fair, it looks like their rip playing has been very intermittent over the years. "don't exactly" could be accurate. Especially considering nobody exactly "plays" a lot of those games. They just walk away and self train.
So Naruto Final Fight, Space Station 13, Naruto Evolution, and Quarantine are all rips? Those are the only games that I have medals in in which I actually put time into.
TBH, I'm not even sure what a rip is anymore. We use that word around here so much it's lost all meaning.
Byond In Need Of Fixing

BYOND In Need Of Fixing

Done.
Page: 1 2 3 4