The Dying Breed

by Mr. RJT
The Dying Breed
Open world multiplayer zombie survival
ID:1891174

[DOWNLOAD]

This release fixes many issues. Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the bug that causes the game to randomly crash and the one that stops the weapon in hand from working. If anyone can reproduce these problems, please do tell!

Added
* Text appears when you hover over Loot or a player.

Fixes
* There were several null.screen runtime errors.
* Local/World Say was displaying twice when 2+ players were online.
* Player's hair would remain showing after equipping a hat from the backpack.
* Weapon Name/Clip was not updating after entering the backpack.
* Reloading would remove ALL magazines.
* Zombies would stop attacking you when you passed out (angle issue)
* When you died, the death sound (heartbeat) would play to players nearby.
* Fixed some 3D Sound volume levels.
* When player logs out and back in, you could no play.

Changes
* HUD: Weapon Name/Clip is now centered.
* HUD: Creation arrows has a bigger clicking area.
* The distance in which you can pick up a weapon changed from 10 to 16.
* Each weapon's 'Melee Range' has been increased by 0.3.
* You can now bump into a Zombie/Player to push them.

NOTE: I was unable to add full screen in this update. I have enabled can-resize. I'll either have to post on the forums for help in regards to this issue or do some more research.
runtime error: bad icon operation
proc name: New (/icon/New)
usr: Maximus_Alex2003 (/mob/login_mob)
src: /icon (/icon)
call stack:
/icon (/icon): New('Sounds/RiseLogo.ogg', "/hud_interface/race", null, null, null)
Maximus_Alex2003 (/mob/login_mob): title screen()
Maximus_Alex2003 (/mob/login_mob): Login()
runtime error: list index out of bounds
proc name: title screen (/mob/login_mob/proc/title_screen)
source file: CharacterCreator.dm,92
src: Maximus_Alex2003 (/mob/login_mob)
call stack:

The fullscreen command does not work. The login menu does not show. The game cannot be progressed further than seeing "Dead" and a bunch of houses in the left-hand corner.

It's easy to add fullscreen to the game. Just anchor the map Anchor#1 Top-Left and Anchor#2 Bottom-Right.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
runtime error: bad icon operation
proc name: New (/icon/New)
src: /icon (/icon)
call stack:
/icon (/icon): New('Sounds/RiseLogo.ogg', "/hud_interface/race", null, null, null)
runtime error: list index out of bounds
proc name: title screen (/mob/login_mob/proc/title_screen)
source file: CharacterCreator.dm,92
src: Maximus_Alex2003 (/mob/login_mob)
call stack:

The fullscreen command does not work. The login menu does not show. The game cannot be progressed further than seeing "Dead" and a bunch of houses in the left-hand corner.

It's easy to add fullscreen to the game. Just anchor the map Anchor#1 Top-Left and Anchor#2 Bottom-Right.

Shoot! I uploaded an incorrect build. I apologize.

It's late right now but I'll get a new one up once I'm off tomorrow. There will also be an in game tutorial.

As with the full screen, it screws up the HUD due to the view size. There are ways around this and I'll do my best to implement it as soon as possible.
I am currently hosting a server!

This server features a newer version which fixes some bugs. I addition, there is a tutorial (click the check box at the title screen) and a full screen mode.

The random crashes and hitting bug still exists. I cannot reproduce it.

Sorry. I must fix more bugs. :(
In response to Mr. RJT
Also, I would recommend that zombies check aggro to see if a new target is available if the zombie's movement hasn't changed. For example, I was in the house and the zombie was outside and couldn't get in and you were standing outside right behind it. It still had a crush on me and ignored you, even after you whacked it.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Also, I would recommend that zombies check aggro to see if a new target is available if the zombie's movement hasn't changed. For example, I was in the house and the zombie was outside and couldn't get in and you were standing outside right behind it. It still had a crush on me and ignored you, even after you whacked it.

Haha, thanks for the recommendation! I noticed that too and couldn't believe I didn't catch that earlier. I will certainly add this.
I like the game so far. I, myself, would tweak things a bit.

I feel as though movement should be a lot slower for players and zombies. It almost feels as though I'm constantly running and then sprinting is just 5 pounds of RedBull and Mountain Dew drunk in less than 10 seconds.

The melee could be spiced up a bit more to show the actual swings. Even if it's just a white curve shown where the swing was made. I think it's already in the game, as I see it from time to time, but something visual that happens every swing would be more appealing. Also, I would recommend some form of knock-back for melee and shooting. More powerful shots (from rifles, shotguns, etc.) would knock-back further than smaller powerful shots/hits.

Blood would be another neat feature to see (not just the random guts that are thrown from the zombies when they're hit).

I would like to see the mouse cursor change depending on what is equipped. A hand for empty hand, an image of the melee weapon that is being used, and for guns just use a simple cross-hair and when you shoot the cross-hair enlarges and comes back to normal size.

Being able to see through the windows would be neat. I'm not sure how that will go with the roofing system. But the ability to just walk up to a window to see through it, with limited visibility of course. Also, players from inside the house could shut the blinds/curtains to prevent other players from looking inside.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
I like the game so far. I, myself, would tweak things a bit.

Thanks for playing and taking the time out to make suggestions!

I feel as though movement should be a lot slower for players and zombies. It almost feels as though I'm constantly running and then sprinting is just 5 pounds of RedBull and Mountain Dew drunk in less than 10 seconds.

Haha.

I like the idea of movement being slower. At this point, using the sprint button is pointless as you're basically running already. The next update will fix this.

The melee could be spiced up a bit more to show the actual swings. Even if it's just a white curve shown where the swing was made. I think it's already in the game, as I see it from time to time, but something visual that happens every swing would be more appealing.

I haven't thought about that. Currently there is a while swing that walks towards the direction you're pointing at. But I will make the weapons have a visual animation. This will be in the next update.

Also, I would recommend some form of knock-back for melee and shooting. More powerful shots (from rifles, shotguns, etc.) would knock-back further than smaller powerful shots/hits.

This will definitely be in the next update.

Blood would be another neat feature to see (not just the random guts that are thrown from the zombies when they're hit).

When you are injured, you can actually bleed and drop blood. Perhaps I should increase the chances of blood showing when bleeding?

I would like to see the mouse cursor change depending on what is equipped. A hand for empty hand, an image of the melee weapon that is being used, and for guns just use a simple cross-hair and when you shoot the cross-hair enlarges and comes back to normal size.

Great idea. My next update was just going to show a simple cross-hair. But I will add the variance that you suggested.

Being able to see through the windows would be neat. I'm not sure how that will go with the roofing system. But the ability to just walk up to a window to see through it, with limited visibility of course. Also, players from inside the house could shut the blinds/curtains to prevent other players from looking inside.

That would be a neat feature. I am also not sure how that will go with the roof system. It definitely would not be in the next update, but it's a feature I will look into as it would be neat!

Thanks Maximus_Alex2003! I really do appreciate you writing all of these features. I haven't thought of several of these and it will make the experience better. This is the reason why I released this early, to get GREAT replies such as this!