In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
The controls were posted on the second post in the release thread. I should make them more apparent!

WASD to move.
O to use your primary weapon.
P to use your equipped special.
Shift to dash.
E to interact.

This is just a thought but have you considered using the mouse(right click and left click) for the weapons and other interactions? This way you can point where to shoot and move around at the same time.
I've experimented with click shooting as it's been suggested ever since feed came out but I don't like it. I prefer the more arcade-like vibe of directional shooting.

As for controls, Yutty suggested using a twinstick layout which i plan to get switched over sometime tonight. The concept atm is

WASD to move.
E to interact.
Arrow keys to use primary weapon (in the given direction)
Shift+arrow keys to use specials.
Space to dodge.

Dodging would recieve an upgrade under this layout where trying to dodge while not holding down WASD would auto-dodge any nearby projectiles/enemies.

I could also probably make the layout toggleable so you could invert everything (arrows to move and WASD to shoot) for those lefties among us.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
I've experimented with click shooting as it's been suggested ever since feed came out but I don't like it. I prefer the more arcade-like vibe of directional shooting.

As for controls, Yutty suggested using a twinstick layout which i plan to get switched over sometime tonight. The concept atm is

WASD to move.
E to interact.
Arrow keys to use primary weapon (in the given direction)
Shift+arrow keys to use specials.
Space to dodge.

Dodging would recieve an upgrade under this layout where trying to dodge while not holding down WASD would auto-dodge any nearby projectiles/enemies.

I could also probably make the layout toggleable so you could invert everything (arrows to move and WASD to shoot) for those lefties among us.

O to use your primary weapon.
P to use your equipped special.

Are you changing this too? It's really a pain in the butt to move your hand over every time you want to switch weapon. With your current configuration I'd prefer Q,E to switch weapons and F to use something.
Sorry, I'm trying to remember all of this from work without my notes.(I'm a bit of a scatterbrain!)

With switching primaries, 1-4 would be used to toggle your active primary. Alongside melee/projectile weapons i plan to include equipment which allow for interacting with the world zelda-style (hookshot is going to be the test dummy). Once i get around to finishing the inventory screen, you'll be able to equip items to the hotbar in any order from there.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I find little more annoying than a WASD-only game.

Are you left-handed?

I am, but I do most things right-handed, including using the mouse and whatnot. Thing is, I'm so used to arrows for moving around that WASD is truly rage-inducing (easily 9 NM) to be forced into. It makes some sense if mouse aiming is a heavy component of the game, but if it's only that the author thought WASD should be used and arrows should not, that's not cool at all.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Sorry, I'm trying to remember all of this from work without my notes.(I'm a bit of a scatterbrain!)

With switching primaries, 1-4 would be used to toggle your active primary. Alongside melee/projectile weapons i plan to include equipment which allow for interacting with the world zelda-style (hookshot is going to be the test dummy). Once i get around to finishing the inventory screen, you'll be able to equip items to the hotbar in any order from there.

Sweet :)
This post REALLY pissed me off. You allow a game that is basically a joke on this news letter (Shoot, yeah, I'm looking at you Alienx26), but you won't allow fan-games to come on here? Especially ones that work their ass off such as mine or anyone elses?
In response to WorldWideDuelist
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
This post REALLY pissed me off. You allow a game that is basically a joke on this news letter (Shoot, yeah, I'm looking at you Alienx26), but you won't allow fan-games to come on here? Especially ones that work their ass off such as mine or anyone elses?

A post like this is what I have been waiting for.
Personally, I think that all hard work, be it for fan-made projects (to have a fun game for other fans), or an original project should be appreciated, and this website shouldn't be an exception.
In response to Pokemonred200
True, we deserve some kind've recognition damnit!
So if you pester Higoten enough, the content you want will appear, at least in one issue? As a little blurb? I would like to see a future edition of "Within BYOND" to feature a bit about my genocide simulator / formulator.
I'm not talking about Dragon Universe. I'm talking about games like my game and Red's game, to which, we put 2 years of work into and we didn't once use ripped-source code.
well just based on images, it lacks player customization, and has a horrid interface. Though no worst than the other interfaces on here. Does it have a story like the series?, does it have quests to duel your fav characters?

Also just a general idea based around the images you showed i could have that done in far less than 2 years.

Also there is a lot of competition in the game market. Yugio no longer is as popular as it used too. So not many kids searching for fan games of that series. So you got to market it yourself which is hard to do as a fan game. But the interface should be redone before you do that.

Though it at does look better than dragon universe
um...are you looking in the BYOND screenshots section or the discussion's screenshots? There's a HUGE difference.
people will go to the games page first so thats where you should advertise the best quality images. This just means you fail at marketing. But I saw a video and it looks to have some good quality. At least the art style is better than mine hahaha.

Also the game doesnt even seem to be up yet. And you have 100+ fans Thats pretty good.
To those having a cry-baby fest about their fan-games not being mentioned in BYOND Withins:

Why would BYOND ever attempt to break C&D/Copyright notices just for your illegal/border-line illegal game to get publicity?

What makes you think that you can get publicity for a fan-game when you can't even get it published? Do you not understand that publicity == published and vice versa?

Spending 2+ years to make a fan-game? Why didn't you spend any bit of time to make it original with fan-game concept? Then you could easily be on the front page games, in BYOND Within articles, etc.
Honestly, I'm over it now. Have your fun and I'll have mine. Also, the only reason I didn't start an original card game, is because I don't know if you knew this, but card games are hard as hell to create rules for.

Edit: I forgot about Card Art and Art in general.
Guys, can we just not today? ):
In response to Kumorii
haha everyone should just enjoy what they like doing and not worry about. All our games we spend time in could be failures. Yea sure its easy to get jelous over some games that have no effort put in but are on the top. but thats just how things are sometimes. Just enjoy doing what you enjoy, and dont worry about publicity and youll have a lot more fun making games
Page: 1 2 3 4 5