Eh, you guys are right. I should just make an original game. I have to come up with ideas though. I suck at original ideas.
In response to WorldWideDuelist
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
Also, the only reason I didn't start an original card game, is because I don't know if you knew this, but card games are hard as hell to create rules for.

Edit: I forgot about Card Art and Art in general.

Both fair points. But you're better off starting with a good concept and letting the art come later. Creating card games is indeed a challenge, but it's a lot easier if you learn about other card games that are out there. Knowing the mechanics behind a lot of different games can be a big help when it comes to creating your own.
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
I suck at original ideas.

You don't need to come up with an original ideal, you just have to come up with original material.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
I suck at original ideas.

You don't need to come up with an original ideal, you just have to come up with original material.

Exactly. Everything draws inspiration from something else.
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
This post REALLY pissed me off. You allow a game that is basically a joke on this news letter (Shoot, yeah, I'm looking at you Alienx26), but you won't allow fan-games to come on here? Especially ones that work their ass off such as mine or anyone elses?

I can't speak for Higoten, however, Within BYOND was made with the intention of keeping people informed twice a month regarding original games in development and available resources.

Prior to the first release, I confirmed with Tom that I didn't want to include fan-games. Not many people on the forum care about fan-games, and we needed a shout out to original games. Keep in mind, this "policy" made the post easier to work with. We didn't have to investigate every anime game and have a back and forth with teenagers about originality. We were able to just look at the game, contact the developer, and move on to the next game.

I don't regret my decision to exclude fan-games from Within BYOND, however, now that Higoten is in-charge of it, whether or not he keeps the same policy is up to him.
Promoting fan-games directly is cause for direct legal action, it's why we don't do it on the hub, it's why we don't do it on the forums. That's just how it's going to be, if you want your creations treated equally, probably a good idea for them not to be against the law to promote.
As Lige stated, the underlying purpose of the Within BYOND publication is to shine a light on active original developments that are happening within our community, in addition to any other exposure that games may receive via any other media though which information is communicated. This has mostly been the case since ACWraith started its predecessor Along the Tech Tree, which was to showcase improvements going on in the Strategy Guild, which basically contained "filtered" content to begin with. This goal was expanded to the entirety of BYOND when the guilds were obsoleted, and BYOND and Within was published.

Any thoughts or implied endorsement which may be presented in Within BYOND are that of my own, and may or may not represent that of BYOND or any other individual. I don’t particularly reference the law during the publication of these columns, and I have no intentions of implying degrading or belittling any well-made developments that are not included in this publication.

Including games which do not utilize a independent IP is beyond the intended scope of this article, of which I am not opposed to fan-games or similar developments, but I am not interested in determining which fan-games are eligible to include, ultimately keeping this column feasible for me to pursue.

To reword most of the above, I am not opposed to a game news column that includes fan-games, but I remain uninterested in writing such a column, and it is limitedly concerning to me that their seems to be an underlying perspective by some community members that it is my responsibility to do so.
To reword most of the above, I am not opposed to a game news column that includes fan-games, but I remain uninterested in writing such a column, and it is limitedly concerning to me that their seems to be an underlying perspective by some community members that it is my responsibility to do so.

Seeing as fangames basically can't post any development information about their progress or content on the site except by dancing around copyright infringement, it'd be a moot point anyway to review most of them.
Just can't wait tell my games out, hope people think it's fun. My first released project. Will it succeed or fail. Most likley fail but I'll keep at it until some audience attaches to it.
In response to DanteVFenris
Sorry, off-topic, but is English your first language?
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Spending 2+ years to make a fan-game? Why didn't you spend any bit of time to make it original with fan-game concept? Then you could easily be on the front page games, in BYOND Within articles, etc.

I spent 9+ years on an original game. Do I win?

WorldWideDuelist wrote:
Eh, you guys are right. I should just make an original game. I have to come up with ideas though. I suck at original ideas.

If you need some ideas, I could toss some your way. I come up with alot of different game ideas. some based on the very few actual dreams ive had. (one of my more recent ones is a game about life after death, I had a dream that some anime creator was able to digitize peoples souls and was on the news explaining how it was done. where the mind would watch this 80s anime Farc ry Blood Dragon & Tron styled action CG movie and somehow your thoughts and personality would be imprinted into it and it was a huge mind fuck for me cus of how vivd everything was...)

but yea, the game would be about that CG digitized world after you died and the art style would be similar to Tron/Blood Dragon.

I also had one where I was on a plane that was crashing and I had to figure out ways to survive by crafting and such, similar to the game Hurricane in concept.
In response to Ss4gogeta0
You spent 9 years on an original game. I have a lot of questions. Starting with, what is it? Followed by how did I not know you worked it? Followed by, why the hell didn't you realise it wasn't working after the first year?
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
You spent 9 years on an original game. I have a lot of questions. Starting with, what is it? Followed by how did I not know you worked it? Followed by, why the hell didn't you realise it wasn't working after the first year?

1.) Rotting Aftermath (went through many names: The Mist, Outbreak File 3, Silent Hill Online, etc)

2.) I have no idea, I bragged about it everywhere.

3.) Never said it wasnt working. it started off as me fiddling around with Strai's Outbreak source back in 2005 and eventually I started modifying it and developing it into what it is now. Strai was fine with me taking it over back then on Straygames.3.forumer.com (he was very negative about his outbreak game for some reason) and for the most part hes been pretending I didnt exist these last number of years.

Early pic from 2008 when I did some of my early NPC/Weapon concepts (Warning, they were crap. and ignore the Sonic stuff, I was heavily into chao chatterz back then) oh btw, guess what byond game that I was logged into ;)

In response to Ss4gogeta0
So the code wasn't yours to begin with, it often used a mishmash of icons that were often copies of other games/movies and even once went under the pretence that it was a game mimicking Silent Hill.

No, I meant original =/
In response to NNAAAAHH
I ussually type on my phone. And yea I'm not too concerned about grammar as Ive finished up all my english courses in university so now I have no use for it. Also I don't look over spelling when I type on the Internet. I was going to be a psychologist. So I am well aware the human brain is far more than capable to understand what I say even if I use improper grammar. As you dont need proper spelling for your brain to understand the sentence. So it's a waste of time for me to try. I also think I have dislexia. So I wright a word or I swear I wright it but another comes out When I type. The other problem I have is I think faster than i type so I think I've already written a word when I have not. Because of these problems if I don't look over something there is ussually mistakes. Which I don't care for because I know the mind can still understand. But yea due to me using my phone, not caring, and probably a form of dislexia causes it to look like so
I know some people have heart attacks from improper grammar. I've never been one of those. If we can understand eachother that's all I care about english be damned.
That was one of the longest excuses for poor grammar I have read on BYOND.
And you'll keep getting them from me
Hey, aren't we due for a new post today? (:
Page: 1 2 3 4 5