In response to UPD4T3
UPD4T3 wrote:
There is no lesson here, except you prefer it one way and I did it another. I have other "ambitious" works I need to be doing. The least of my worries is Snake Way.

THE GAME BREAKER.

And that's another lesson you need to learn. Trying to keep too many balls in the air while forgetting that you're under a glass ceiling with an anvil above it. Trying to be proficient in many things? Do you know why the "jack of all trades, master of none" is such an outdated concept? Because why have 5 dudes that can do everything proficiently when you have have 5 dudes, each specializing in one thing such that each one does their job to the highest level in their class?

Shoot, even the Buddhists beat you to it, "When you're doing the dishes, do the dishes".
Life is a bitch, but Gucci' payin' cash for it.
In response to UPD4T3
UPD4T3 wrote:
Life is a bitch, but Gucci' payin' cash for it.

I hope you're not paying cash for stuff in your DBZ game that you can't sell in any way.
This isn't MY game, this is Ganite's. I'm just hobbying around, helping here and there. I appreciate the heads up though!
I like how when someone says something that makes sense everyone ignores it. Yes, I'm referring to my previous post.

Read it, quit acting like children.
In response to Lavenblade
Soz m80. As BYOND Jesus, it's my job to get everyone to see the light that is shining on their lazy, uncreative pieces of work, in hopes that they might finally get the message and improve. It takes a special kind of person to do my job, and it can only be done by me. I am dying for the sins of BYOND. In 2000 years there will be churches dedicated to my work.
I just feel like posts like these only make people lose confidence in their projects, or even worse themselves.

Constructive criticism is good, but going 4 pages over something like this is just insane. It accomplishes absolutely nothing positive. =(

I really want BYOND to be a friendly place for new aspiring developers. If it wasn't for BYOND I wouldn't be where I am today.
It's not even constructive criticism he provides. It's destructive.
In response to Gohan851
Gohan851 wrote:
It's not even constructive criticism he provides. It's destructive.

Providing an example of how to improve the game is not destructive criticism.
In one ear, and out the other. I respect what you wrote Laven. I just felt like being an arsehole to an arsehole.
Alright, fight is over.

Keep up the good work, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates from you in the future. Feel free to shoot me a page if you need any tips programming related.
In response to UPD4T3
UPD4T3 wrote:
In one ear, and out the other. I respect what you wrote Laven. I just felt like being an arsehole to an arsehole.

Stop callling Laven an arsehole. They're actually an okay guy.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
UPD4T3 wrote:

Stop callling Laven an arsehole. They're actually an okay guy.

I try to be. :(
*Sees thread*

*senses a disturbance in the force*

*Logs out*

*Context is provided*

Honestly, this entire thread was nitpicking.

Curved surfaces in 2D games really don't work that great. They don't provide reasonable feedback for the user. There are major problems with making curves, specifically the problem of improper feedback for bounding boxes, the problem of increasing the unique tile count, and the problem of imprecise controls.

Curves are much easier to navigate and implement in 3D games. IMO, there's really no major benefit to putting the added effort in. It's just going to wind up frustrating your players that much more for a visual effect that's going to be overlooked after the initial wow-factor.

If your players are at snake way in your game, they are already sold. No need to give them that much more wow factor that is only going to degrade the gameplay experience.

Focus on stuff that matters. Don't listen to people who got as far as mspaint default palette training logs and a broken built-in pathfinding algorithm with no actual gameplay or features before becoming so angry and frustrated with their inability to develop that they turned their rage and hostility on the community as a whole.
Nicely put, Ter13. :3 Your logic makes sense to me.
I'm hostile to this community because I care about making good games. If the community would simply up their standards to something salable on Steam then I wouldn't have to beat you all over the head until you get it. The "FROMSoftware approach"

Though here's the kicker, an initial "wow factor" only goes so far. Mirror's Edge had an amazing wow factor, but it turned out to be shite. Ori and the Blind Forest had an amazing wow factor... also turned out to be shite. If the two games weren't so short I would've given up on them for being bad examples of misleading introductory material.

In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I'm hostile to this community because I care about making good games. If the community would simply up their standards to something salable on Steam then I wouldn't have to beat you all over the head until you get it. The "FROMSoftware approach"

"i wsh u wldnt make fn gaems mke riginal" would've sufficed pal, instead of this ridiculously strung out shit-fest that you felt obligated to create.

Thank you for those who are/were being reasonable.
In response to UPD4T3
No, I don't care if you make fangames. I care that you're making bad games, because as BYOND Jesus (stated before) every sin you add to the counter is another one I have to die for. Though it will make my gospel that much more impressive. You win some, you lose some.

Seriously, adding curves would take zero effort. But you seem dead-set against it because I suggested it. If Ter had suggested it, you would've leapt to it like his hat dispenses frozen yogurt. But because it's me saying this, and you don't like me, you think it's not worth doing. Shoot yourself in the foot if you want.
@Lugia: Practice what you preach. You haven't made anything worth being so conceited about. If you can't do: Teach.

Shitting on people isn't teaching. It isn't helpful. In the end all you are doing is making yourself look TERRIBLE. If you want to work in the games industry, the name you make for yourself as an indie is going to matter. If a cursory google search on your indie name turns up a series of shitposts and basically an entire community pulling their hair out trying to get you to understand that you are alienating everyone around you... Nobody's going to want to work with you or hire you.

I don't understand what you are doing. Your logic makes zero sense, and all you are doing is hurting yourself and everyone you talk to. Seriously. Move on. Being here is making you hateful and mean-spirited. Your approach isn't working.

Further, every individual person in this community would be much happier without the current Lugia here. This includes every moderator and ever user that's actually trying to make this place better.

You either need to change your tone and approach to talking to people so your words don't fall on deaf ears, or you need to go somewhere you are happy.

This genuinely can't be good for you.
I didn't know you prior to this "conversation".
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6