ID:1879631

Okay, so that people are aware; this topic isn't directed at any specific person(s). This topic was brought on by a specific person(which I'm tired of reading posts from).

I am proposing, since all of you talk about how toxic the community is; we all block whomever we each deem toxic. Clearly, this won't fix the issue with a few of us following through with this idea. I am suggesting we, as a community and whole, choose to take it upon ourselves to ensure that these 'negative' person(s) remain blocked and feel ignored. Since it's 'wrong' to just have mods ban them, apparently, it would be favorable to give them a similar experience. You will no longer see their posts(thank you, Lummox/Tom(whichever made that choice)) and they will no longer be able to reply to anything you post. This is favorable and will(hopefully) dilute the issue.
Or you could keep each other unblocked so that I get to read shots fired every morning when I log onto this site.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Or you could keep each other unblocked so that I get to read shots fired every morning when I log onto this site.

*Sips tea*
Or, you could keep them unblocked and ignore their posts(). Then again, a toxic community ignores their problems instead of addressing them. You could make a complaints section in the forums, and direct all negative feedback/posts to that section.
In response to GoldenArk
What purpose would anything you've suggested here serve? You don't block them and continue to have your issue. You make a complaints section and have everyone from every rip ever coming to complain about how they got banned for 'no reason' or 'admin on dbz: holla at me gurl' is abusive.

If we, as a collective, block these drains on the community, they will be unable to reply to us and us unable to reply to them(or even see what they say in the first place). This will do one of two things; 1) separate the community into halves, where the negative people talk about all their negative stuff; and where we can continue productive or friendly topics uninterrupted. OR 2) They get tired of not being able to reply to us and having everyone literally unable to interact and leave(or create a new key, which is easily solved by blocking their new keys until behavior changes).
In response to GoldenArk
GoldenArk wrote:
Or, you could keep them unblocked and ignore their posts(). Then again, a toxic community ignores their problems instead of addressing them. You could make a complaints section in the forums, and direct all negative feedback/posts to that section.

Well, I think NNAAAAHH's suggestion is really about simply blocking/ignoring the people you find make things difficult on a regular basis. Having a viable ignore is fairly new for us, and I think it's a good thing.
I was thinking of a garbage dump for negative posts, but that makes sense.
In response to Lummox JR
Which is exactly my point. I find people all too often here are ignorant to the feature whilst allowing the person to fester. If, instead of constantly derailing topics trying to argue with someone, we simply block the user, I feel we'd see a vast improvement in the attitude among the community. We get less annoyed/frustrated with common offenders, because they're gone for us. They get less attention and people to fuel their 'fire'.
I blocked the key owning 'Dragon-Ki', just to check. It still shows the game, just removes the game's forum posts relating to the key(all the generic posts included, no 'about' topic for the game's hub).
I wouldn't want to block anyone on the forums. I love seeing them get torn to pieces when they make terrible assertions about theirs or other people's games.
In response to Kats
My forum experience has enhanced since taking this approach, though I've only blocked one person thus far. I no longer get annoyed at what I deem idiotic postings of negative foundations.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
My forum experience has enhanced since taking this approach, though I've only blocked one person thus far. I no longer get annoyed at what I deem idiotic postings of negative foundations.

Idiotic postings of negative foundations are the main reason why I come to BYOND.
People you have blocked can't post in your threads. If you don't like someone, they at least can't trash the topics you're posting about.
This thread was made in response to Lugia319. Let's be honest, we all know it. Not addressing who the biggest problem on this forum happens to be is, I think is a consequence of the rules of this forum and indicative of a serious moderation problem that's been ignored for way too long. This isn't a personal attack. This is an airing of serious grievances with the way things have been going.

I've personally spoken with a handful of moderators and ex-moderators who all agree that this person should have been permanently removed from this community a long time ago.

Part of the problem is that a lot of people don't use the "reply to" option. I know I don't. I'm an old-school user, and never liked switching away from our tree-based forum we used to have. It made threads much easier to navigate based on sub-conversations cropping up.

Having a user pager-banned unfortunately makes threads very difficult to follow. I log in and out of BYOND at least five times an hour now because the post continuity is so messed up by this user's CONSTANT need to start fights.

I've been calling him out publicly hoping that at least one person on the moderation would notice that: "Hey, something's going on here."

I've been pleading with this user to improve, trying to reason with him only brings personal insults.

Prior attempts to be amiable with this user when I was a moderator resulted in personal insults. I even got berated and insulted for apologizing to him, asking him whether I'd done something to upset him when he became enraged by feedback on his game that he was working on at the time.

This user has repeatedly stated that they acknowledge that they are being hostile to the community. They have repeatedly stated it would be better if the entire community simply wasn't here. They've stated that they are the only competent person in this community.

This user has no interest in teaching others to make games, no interest, as they have stated in using the software, and no interest in playing the games made with the software.

This user contributes nothing any only detracts from everything they touch in this community. Unless we ALL know who the problem is and agree to shun them via pagerbans from all major activity on the board, or the moderators actually do something about this user, nothing is going to improve.

He's going to continue to derail threads, poison any hope for actual conversation, and degrade anything and everything he touches.

Simply put, I'm asking the community to add this user to their pagerban list if you regularly post here. I'm asking that separate bans be added for specific developer-oriented subforums to keep poisonous users out of developer help, art & sound, BYOND Help, announcements, and basically anywhere that people actually go to be constructive.

I'm asking that this user be seen out of the community by either the community itself or the leadership.

Enough is enough. This user is only hurting the community and those who are letting this user continue to enter their threads are helping him.

While yes, my calling him out doesn't help the problem, it at least makes people aware of what's going on and the continuity of the problem. The more people pagerban him, the less we see of him, and the less disjointed partially-removed fights and insults we run across. The less people see that, the less people will need to log in and out to understand just what the hell is going on in a thread, the longer we can go without remembering that this user even exists.
In response to Ter13
The reason I made this post was in response Lugia, in hopes that we, as a community, could rid ourselves of Lugia and those like Lugia. I refrained from specifying, because I felt it better to leave it a broader statement.

I agree, would be nice to get rid of some of the toxin floating around. We're all guilty from time to time, but some users are a constant. Something has to be done to correct the constants so they don't continuously add toxin to the community.
Team Ho-Oh!
In response to Ter13
@Post

is this vigilante crap really necessary?

If he has broken one of the rules - the mods should have done something.

If he hasn't broken one of the rules, and you think he has done something that is morally/ethically wrong in some way - you should have (only) been suggesting/pushing for improvements to the rules, as I was trying to do in this thread.

@Ter

I've personally spoken with a handful of moderators and ex-moderators who all agree that this person should have been permanently removed from this community a long time ago.

It sounds to me like the moderators already agree something is wrong, but they can't act on them.

As you (appear) to mention here:
I think is a consequence of the rules of this forum and indicative of a serious moderation problem that's been ignored for way too long

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

In response to IchiroKeisuke
Sorry, have you seen any of Lugia's posts? It's not just him the posts is about either.

Honestly, looks like you have a similar 'you're wrong because I am always right' mentalities.
@Ichiro: I'm not saying that the moderators are a problem. I'm saying that the lack of action against a user that is acting in a manner that is harmful to the community is causing a serious moderation problem through the complete breakdown of civility in any topic he participates in. See the recent thread in Art & Sound in which Lugia's sarcasm incited hostility from Upd4t3, who reacted in an uncalled for manner.

The difference between what your thread did and what my post did, was that it wasn't calling for community-wide reform.

I'm pointing out that the new freedom on this forum is a good thing, but one user has repeatedly proven that they can't handle social interaction. It's not just that they are toxic, it's that they are actively trying to do as much harm as possible to as many people as possible for the sake of their own amusement.

If the moderators don't think a permanent ban on that user will see them out of the community (That's why we don't hand out permanent bans that often, is because people always come back on new keys just to cause more drama out of spite.), the community needs to make an active effort to be aware of the pagerban feature's new function of hiding a user's posts and taking the responsibility of ensuring that a user is shunned rather than fed fuel to continue to make this place unbearable.
In response to Ter13
This whole threads purpose is arguably to perform a witch hunt on Lugia.

It's a sad state of affairs when the way things are going remind me of the Salem witch trials.

You guys may not like the guy but unless he has broken a rule there shouldn't be any reason to ban him.

You should all insist on enforcing the rules rather than insisting on perma-banning people you deem toxic. If the current rules aren't cutting it - they should be improved.

Tis all I'm saiyan.
Page: 1 2 3