Not much of a game, but does anyone like particles?

Blue Sparks

Light Burst

Sonic-ish Burst

Rays

Red Sparks

Smoke

Explosion Effect combining many particle effects into one epic sauce blast!

All of the particle's parameters are modular and can be easily modified on the fly to support any kind of effect required. Creating completely new particle effects take minutes and looks sexy as hell, if I do say so myself. ;)

Sorry for choppy framerate, blame Licecap. :P
Thanks to Vrocaan for letting me know my Sonic burst looks kind of weird. Here's an updated version.

In response to Kats
Lol'd.
In response to Kats
Lib plox. Could use some of that spice when I get ready to juice up a few games.
Is that Mufasa? (avatar)
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Thanks to Vrocaan for letting me know my Sonic burst looks kind of weird. Here's an updated version.

This is some sort of alternate dimension where instead of playing as Sonic collecting rings, you play as a ring collecting Sonics. This is what happens when you get hurt.

In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
This is some sort of alternate dimension where instead of playing as Sonic collecting rings, you play as a ring collecting Sonics. This is what happens when you get hurt.

I'll take three.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
Lib plox. Could use some of that spice when I get ready to juice up a few games.

In response to Kats
Reminds me of the topic about animate on the 500 update.

http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=1376026&page=2#comment6573166

When I originally saw that, I was amazed and couldn't figure out how to do it, but it's not a difficult concept and just requires a tiny bit of experience in using animate() and mouse procs.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Avidanimefan wrote:

I'm sure I could figure it out with time, but no sense wasting time in reinventing what you've already made all nice and shiny.

In response to Kats
Kats wrote:

Explosion Effect combining many particle effects into one epic sauce blast!

This one's my favorite, looks like Chinese fireworks or like you're shooting at the screen. Awesome job.
Yeah, if this could be super-optimized (and perhaps helped by new language features), we could have some really crazy new doors opened.

Particle effects add so much to the visual appeal of games and you don't really notice until you see little demonstrations of them at their basic form. Just looking at them all by themselves is entertaining, add some gameplay going on and you have gold.
Yea we need a built in particle system. Or at the very least a library. Though it needs to handle lots of players being able to do that over a wireless connection. Which is where I think the problem will lay in
Yut Put wrote:
DanteVFenris wrote:
Yea we need a built in particle system. Or at the very least a library. Though it needs to handle lots of players being able to do that over a wireless connection. Which is where I think the problem will lay in

???????

Expecting any kind of real network performance over wireless is a stretch.
Since animate() is rendered client-side, the animation should presumably be perfectly smooth for everyone who sees it.

However, at any framerate, it doesn't seem like anything is ever as smooth as possible over a network.
Have you made games on 3d engines? They have built in particle systems
Ideally, the best idea for a particle system being built into BYOND would actually be one that defines particle generation and lifetime rules to run on the client, rather than having appearances synced by the server.

BYOND is a beast of an engine to work that kind of thing into, because it's entirely server-side.
In response to Ter13
That was my #1 beef with it. If we had a way of actually calling procs client side only, that would basically solve a million and 1 issues with the engine right now. Unfortunately, that would probably require a huge overhaul of the engine and language design to make work, if Lummox's hesitation is anything to go by.
I've investigated what it would take to make client-side DM possible. It would require new keywords added to the language, and it'd require the client to have a separate DM bytecode interpreter on it.

While I agree that it's the best solution, it's unfortunately entirely antithetical to everything that we currently have. It'd require a total overhaul of the existing engine, a break with backward compatibility, and very likely a massive rewrite of how everything BYOND does is done.
I think Katz particle system looks good and it's great that they are working on something with such a lot of complexity and novelty value.

I don't think a particle system should be built into BYOND though since it undermines what pixel art is and BYOND games might start losing credibility.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 349 350 351