ID:1960507

Hello Readers! We've got a lot of information to cover, so lets get started!

DarkCampainger's Unofficial BYOND Fund-a-thon came to a close at the end of last month, boasting $1195 in matched donations! While not a total tower of ramen, that brought the monthly total to $3390, congratulations to all of the contributors and BYOND members who participated!

The results from the BYOND Game in a Day 2015 Developer's Challenge have also arrived! 8 qualified entries were received, congratulations to all of the winners! All of the entries were created in less than 24 hours and are all very impressive! So head on over to the results page for in-depth reviews of each submission!

If you missed the last one, there is discussion about another developer's contest, potentially being held soon, keep your eyes peeled.

BYOND

After a few computer snafus, Lummox JR is back in order with an anytime egg mcmuffin and is adding matrixs and other BYOND 5.0 features to his pet project Scream of the Stickster: Volume II. Hopefully we'll see the game out for display before Halloween hits! In his on-time he has been diligently improving the Webclient with bug and efficiency fixes. New features include color customizable statpanels and a profiler for the Webclient. Dream Seeker and Dream Maker haven't been forgotten either, both having several long-time bugs fixed, with smoother maptext for the former, and a convenience feature for the latter.

BYOND Games

Z.T.A.N.I. Multiplayer, formerly known as tank by Bravo1, is finally in a playable state and can be downloaded from the hub page! Chat, game-modes, and an interface for displaying round information and scores have been added. Graphical improvements have been made to smooth turfs and improve weapon effects. The shields and weapons have been rebalanced as well.

Kozuma3 created a RPG MUD over the past few weeks, borrowing gameplay elements from popular MMORPGS. Fight, mine, craft, and grow your stats in the world of Elora Online. Content expansions are made almost daily, although the game will be down for the next few days due to external issues.

Mano A Mano continues its recovery with Flick adding the Wizard class, who has the ability to shoot a dart, release a lighting bolt, and bounce about the map. There is currently some debate about having the wizard reclaim his power over the frigid waters, rather than bounce around, but the power over ice may be given to a new class, the Elementalist.

AERProductions has released a demonstration of the systems found in Pondera, a roleplaying survival game that takes place in a vast world. Explore and fight enemies. Gather resources and build a house. Then light a fire and cook yourself a nice and warm meal.

Manio has been working on the second edition of Extinction, while his other projects have been placed on hold due to a hard disk failure. Backups, keep backups externally, and make backups of backups! In the survival game Extinction 2, the dinosaurs are no longer running rampantly wild, but instead have been rounded up and placed into a theme park! Take control of one of the workers, or one of the visitors, and enjoy the tour... that is, until the inevitable power failure releases angry dinosaurs into the park!

Lige, the original editor of Within BYOND, has been dabbling in DM once more, and has decided to resume development on Suukou Faita, an anime RPG. Combat systems are currently at the top of the list, with a game design document to boot, as the game is recreated from scratch.

The Untold Kingdom has resumed from its untold halted development, with Wikked_Klwn420 posting several updates. The settlements system has been scratched in the name of future proofing the game, and in its place, the justice system has been implemented, with harsher death penalties given to criminals, then that of their more lawful counterparts. Basic attack skills have been added, and they can be improved by actually using the skill. With the artist finding some free time in their college schedule, user interface elements have had a make-over, and a series of other improvements have been made.

The development team over at RP Infinite has been working on Build 19 these past few weeks, including new features like tabbed browsing and further logging details. Although the deadline has passed for feature requests, something tells me they would still be open to hearing suggestions! If you want to host your own server, it would be best to grab the host files from the hub while they are still available, as they may disappear after October 25th.

TheDestinyProductions has been alpha testing Destiny, an RPG adventure game where players primarily gain experience and advance their skills by adventuring and completing quests. Find new junction codes to travel though the vortex to new worlds and adventures!

Ageless Creations is back in action and is taking Fantasy MUD to the next level as they build a community for their text based game. The tutorial has been revamped to help new players. Residents need some help with tasks. New skills are available to learn, and a whole lot more!

The roleplaying game, Sigrogana Legend 2 continues its ever expanding reach with 4 new locations to explore. In the event that you happen to catch a few parasites *cringe* while exploring the world, a new tool has been added to help remove them... hopefully without to much difficultly. A large series of bugs and adjustments has been made, so that you can get something from those awful parasites after you remove them.

Ki Warriors is a new anime adventure game where players train to become stronger and learn powerful skills with a focus on balanced battles. Scourer the world in search for magical balls, and become the greatest.

Wargames has seen 4 updates since version 2.0 was released in honor of the game's tenth anniversary. Acebloke documents the advancements that have been made by each of the countries, with new content, rebalanced prices, and fixed bugs. Interface and feedback improvements have been made to convey information more clearly. If you're playing an endless game, you'll be able to research much faster now too.

Kumorii has been working on the PVP action shooter, Skirmish! The scoreboard is back in working order, and there was an opportunity to obtain a free lifetime subscription to Feed and Skrimish by procuring the top spot, although it's not clear if that offer is still valid. Instanced housing and minimaps are on the list to be completed, but if you don't want to wait, you could speed up the process by writing the code yourself, since the game is now open sourced!

Also from Kumorii is the latest update to the zombie blasting game, Feed. The update, which appears to basically be a title screen, but suggests that the game will have its own login and registration system at some point. For the moment, new bosses and the ability to pull boxes will be in version 2.6, and perhaps a bit of Halloween goodness?

Zach Reznor has taken some time away from his unannounced superhero game to release Clicker, which as the name suggests, is a game that involves clicking! It follows the gameplay of the increasingly popular idle and upgrade games. While the game is functional, with some players getting high scores, the game is also rather plain, and the developer is looking for ideas to make it unique.

Sword & Soul Online is a new game created by Jack-o-Latern ProductionZ, with an Alpha server set to be hosted on October 25th. Players adventure though a series of floors to increase their stats and find new weapons and armor. While only 1 floor will be available to explore when the alpha goes live, players will need to party up and band together in guilds in order to survive the difficult monsters.

Meet the cast of Shoot in the latest update from AlienX26. Michael is the main character, trying to become the best, along with big and tough Doug, the loyal defender Alex, and Naty, who has medical training.

Exentriks Gaming is back with a few motion pictures to share, each features a scene from Transcendence, an action adventure game currently in development. Meet your spirit guide in the dark and illumessence environment. Then travel across the Bridge of Trials. Trial #1: The first step is a doozy!

BYOND Resources

• Tired of bland graphical effects? Bring in some amazing movements with Flick's Particons!
  • Scale your maps without fuzzy edges using Kaiochao's Clean Map Demo.
  • Ditch your text inputs in favor of Kumorii Maptext Inputs!
  • Looking for efficient alternatives to the built in pathfinding? Try Xirre's A*+ Pathfinding.
  • Kaiochao demonstrates how to direct players to where they need to go using Screen Arrows.
  • Why load an entire map when players are only in a small section? NullQuery offers Chunk-based Map Saving as a solution.
  • Bounds out of line? FKI wrote a snippet on how to Aligning Bounds.
  • Ever wonder how transformation matrixs worked? Lummox JR deconstructs what's really inside of one.
  • Tired of manually converting .DMIs to .PNGS? LiamLime was, so they created a utility to do speed up the process.
Using gradients for placeholders for now, could change in the future.

Just thought I'd throw this out there: Tonight I tested out a proof-of-concept for what it would take to allow entire planes to use their own blend_modes. That is, all icons drawn to the plane would be drawn normally, and then the whole plane could be blended over the rest of the map. (I don't see any way this could ever, ever work in software mode, but in theory the webclient ought to support this concept.)
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Just thought I'd throw this out there: Tonight I tested out a proof-of-concept for what it would take to allow entire planes to use their own blend_modes. That is, all icons drawn to the plane would be drawn normally, and then the whole plane could be blended over the rest of the map. (I don't see any way this could ever, ever work in software mode, but in theory the webclient ought to support this concept.)

I need this Lummox. All of my lighting systems need this. You're going to add this right?
In response to Lummox JR
look. look at how sad that campfire is because it can't cast a shadow for the tree. feel the campfire's sadness flow through you.
I'm not sure how you'd make shadows work with it (though maybe Kidpaddle's shadow generator could do something), but my idea would allow for simple overhead lighting.
In response to Lummox JR
Well, the way my lighting works right now makes map loading incredibly slow. I have to blend all of the ground icons together per tile, and set the turfs to blend_multiply. I won't have to do this with the plane blend_modes

http://puu.sh/kL4vp/8e0ae566b9.zip

I'll figure out shadows somehow :P

[EDIT]: I think you're right here. There's some weird hackery I can do to get some shadows but it likely won't be very convincing. Maybe some awkward layer sorting for lights and shadows could get close to a decent result.
I appreciate the mention of my game "Destiny" in here. Thanks. The game is still in development, I've just been on a small break due to my personal life.
In response to TheDestinyProductions
Higoten wrote:
Scourer the world in search for magical balls, and become the greatest.

Huehuehue. :3

In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Every time I look at this game and that lighting system I am so jealous... If you were to be able to make it cast shadows on that tree it's GG.

edit: Also, thank you for the mention Higoten. You do a great job making the description relevant and witty, I really appreciate that. :]
Oh wow, top billing o_o

I guess maybe it's a bad time to announce I'm taking a break from the game until November? >_>;
Just clarifying that Feed already has its own account system and has since the beginning, lol. But, whoo! (:
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Just clarifying that Feed already has its own account system and has since the beginning, lol. But, whoo! (:

Soooooo, giraffes in Skirmish soon right?

Thanks for the mention ^.^ I am liking how the game is coming along. The current UI elements are still not finished, so what you see is a testing one that is now being used as a placeholder. I'm hoping I can actually get them finished soon, so I can then have my artist move onto other art that is needed. Glad see me back up on here again. All the other games are looking nice as well.
thanks for mentioning the game i appreciate it
Ki Warriors: admittedly(literally right in the short description of the hub) a dbz game accepting overpriced subscriptions, as seen on Within BYOND!
Yeahhhh! Two mentions in two months, before you know it I'll be filling up the news again just like AC Wraiths Strategy posts ;p Hopefully I'll have some AI in Wargames for lonely souls that want to play solo/when no ones online ready for #29
In response to Pokemon Entertainment
is that the game i helped code and then they kicked me out because byond hates me?
In response to Alienx26
omg u helped code it and they kicked u out?
y?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7