ID:1975129

Resolved
BYOND Version:509.1312
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 41.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Upon connecting to any game server or loading any local game Dreamseeker crashes.
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: dreamseeker.exe
P2: 5.0.509.1312
P3: 5633e7c5
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 10.0.10240.16430
P6: 55c599e1
P7: c00000fd
P8: 0006e0f2
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_dreamseeker.exe_454ee9bc8d4e5e37ee1e2473ea7cf2aa14a75_c1986a44_2530ea03

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 806ba236-e49f-4d8d-9992-0ce955a95d31
Report Status: 101
Hashed bucket:
Unfortunately ntdll.dll is not one of our modules, so I can't do anything with that crash info. It could be something simple triggering it, but I have nothing to trace.

What you'll need to do on this is get a debugger that can pull up a stack trace, find out where in the stack byondcore.dll (or one of the BYOND modules, at least) was used, and at what offset in the .dll.

It would help if you can narrow down which build this problem appeared in.
try updating your graphics card
This is something my players including myself have been experiencing along with heavy lag issues. Loading up a game causes it to crash, and they have to try a few times for it not to crash and log in, but then they're greeted with lag trying to do anything at all. Downgrading below 1311 fixes it though.
I NEED crash details. If it's crashing in ntdll.dll then I need a stack trace. Don't just say you have the issue too--it isn't helpful. I need info that will help me fix it. The newer versions are on track to become the next stable build, so if there's a crasher I need to fix it. I'm not backtracking all those changes.
To all who are having this issue, if the crash details don't show a module such as byondcore.dll, byondwin.dll, or one of BYOND's .exe files, then a stack trace is required. Here are the general steps you'll need to follow:

1) Install a debugger, such as the Windows debugging tools (WinDbg). You may have other choices available, especially if you already use Visual Studio for anything, and there are probably other good free debuggers.

2) Make sure the debugger is configured as the system default debugger, so it launches when an app crashes.

3) When DS crashes, within the debugger you should have an option to look at the program stack. In the Visual Studio debugger for instance each "stack frame" is presented as an item in a list, and as you go down the list you go further back into the stack. Go back to the most recent point it was in one of the BYOND modules--most likely byondcore.dll.

4) What I need from this point is the module where the crash happened, and the offset. The debugger may not give you an offset; it may have a raw memory address. (You may however be able to find out the address where the module was loaded; that will help.) If you can't get an offset, that's okay. What you probably can do is get a look at the assembly code around the address you're looking at. A screenshot of that would be great, as it will likely include the machine code at and around that point, and I can probably use that to get an offset.

4b) If you can go a few steps further back in the stack and do the same thing at each step, that'll help too. Knowing how the code got to a certain point is sometimes as important as knowing what point it got to. That's especially true in this case because the error message displayed in the OP is a stack overflow. (The good news: Stack overflows are usually easy to fix once you find where they're happening.)

5) Post the info you got to this thread. Please include the full BYOND build number, such as 509.1312.

I think with that info in hand, I can get to the bottom of the crash and get it fixed. I know this is a lot to ask, but since I don't have this crash myself I'll need all of your help to find it.
you can also see the loaded address for all modules attached to a process in process explorer. ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ bb896653.aspx )

Select the crashed process, hit control+d (for dll) then right click the column names in the new lower plan and click select columns, check base address then find the byond*.dll files. Give lum the addresses for the byond related files along with the stack trace.

You can also get stack traces in process explorer by right clicking the process, going to properties, then going to threads, and clicking the first item in the list and clicking on the stack button below the list.

It has more noise and garbage in the stack, but it will generally help lum figure things out better than nothing.

(note to lum, offsets generated by process explorer's stack trace are from the named function (if any), not the start of the dll's loaded address.)
Any updates on this, Pomf or Ishuri? Or any of your players who've had it? I need to get that stack trace info so I can see where this is failing. I really don't want a stack overflow bug going into the next stable build.
Alright so upgrading to 1313 seems to have stopped the crashing. The lag problem still persists however. There seems to be lag as soon as I connect but its only for players using 508 or higher. Anyone else can play the game fine. One really strange thing that's occurring is that the map isn't loading correctly unless I manually change my view. It's only showing a small portion of the full view and that small portion is bottom centered. Changing the view fixes this, but not the lag. Not sure how I can track it down. Something strange with client.color as well, changing it messed up all the images loaded for the player, not sure if they're connected but I'll keep looking into it.
I'm not sure what lag issue you're referring to, as this thread was strictly about a crash. For your graphical problems, those would need a new thread also, and some examples of what you're seeing wrong.
Lummox JR resolved issue
Closing this as resolved, since no one can reproduce the issue anymore.
Not sure if it's the same issue, but I have just encountered the issue upon loading games through the BYOND client (when the ad tries to show up, Dream Seeker crashes).

This was run under 509.1319.

I hit a breakpoint, but allowed it to continue. There seems to be a problem with Flash.ocx.

Produced the following exception: Unhandled exception at 0x627D31C2 (Flash.ocx) in dreamseeker.exe: 0xC0000602: A fail fast exception occurred. Exception handlers will not be invoked and the process will be terminated immediately.

Now, running your own projects doesn't cause it to crash (since you're not dealing with the splash or any ads).
In response to Bandock
Doesn't sound like the same issue. Which Windows version do you have, and is Flash for IE up to date?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Doesn't sound like the same issue. Which Windows version do you have, and is Flash for IE up to date?

Windows 10 Pro here.

I'll look into updating Flash to see what happens.

Edit: I haven't managed to successfully update Flash over Internet Explorer yet, but I did enable ActiveX Filtering (which disables Flash and other plugins) and found it no longer crashes.