ID:2015302

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Can we disable the ability to delete/move resolved issues in developer help (except for moderators)? The purpose of Developer Help is supposed to be a searchable archive of answered questions. The more redundant issues, the more searchable the forum will be. Too often, I go back to look for an in-depth explanation I've written for someone and find that it was deleted, and then type it all out over again.
This makes sense to me. +1
++
Except there's no way to determine if it's been resolved.
Except there's no way to determine if it's been resolved.

Well, the icon next to a thread changes from "?" to " " when the best answer has been selected. That means internally there is some sort of indication for an issue being resolved (meaning the best answer has been voted on).
Resolved or not, it's just better to keep these things archived. Like Ter said, more threads means more likely hits. They all do a pretty good job of responding to guys that really need help, so I don't see any harm in just making sure that they can't delete their own help threads.
Yeah, but the vast majority of topics end up without a best answer selected. That mechanic could work, if it were used better.
I think the general idea here is simply to not allow those threads to be deleted so that old threads can be referenced down the road; Resolved or not, old threads often contain valuable information that can be searched for later.
I agree with keeping them around for sure, I was never on the "let people delete their own stuff" bandwagon in the first place.
I'm okay with it for the most part. It's just... The number of times I've written something that honestly should have been in Tutorials&Snippets and it wound up getting deleted because of insecurity... It's just kind of frustrating.
I think a much nicer feature would be to give us our own recycle bins that store our deleted posts until we choose to remove them permanently. This would be similar to the trash folder used for emails.

This means threads could be deleted all day by either the OP or a moderator, and we wouldn't need to worry about our own posts being lost. They just wouldn't be publicly available. This would give us the option to revive our lost posts as whole new threads.

I think this feature would reduce conflicts and make everyone happier.
@Multiverse7, something like that would pull dev time that could be better spent elsewhere.
This means threads could be deleted all day by either the OP or a moderator, and we wouldn't need to worry about our own posts being lost.

This is a bad idea. The majority of threads that are deleted are done so for very good reason. Giving our little haven of users that eat the brunt of deleted posts an inbox that shows them "nazi moderators" in action will only result in triggering these users' indignation further. There's a reason that we ultimately opted to stop notifying users of deleted posts. It's because it resulted in these users harassing moderators to the point where something as simple as deleting a single message would more often than not explode into a 30-90 day ban, or in several noteworthy cases, a permanent one.

Disabling the ability to move/delete posts within Developer Help would be a quick and fast solution with very little chance of abuse. Developer Help has always been a heavily moderated forum and because of how strictly patrolled it is, users have caught on to the fact that shitposting in Dev Help is a fast-track to being banned, resulting in it needing to be moderated less over time.
People are likely deleting their posts because they're embarrassed they needed the help. Disabling the ability to delete their posts would double BYOND's key database.
In response to Ter13
I disagree. When it comes to adding nice features for the community, we should NEVER make compromises with trolls. We can't let them hold us back. That's exactly what they want. If it makes them mad, then chances are, we are probably doing something right.

If a user is so problematic that they prevent an entire community from having nice things, then they should just be blocked, muted, or banned outright.

Everyone knows that a "quick and fast solution" is never the right way to go about something like this. It needs more thought, planning, and idealism.

Solving the problem at a higher level tends to result in less issues.
Well, you are free to make that feature request. Economics, though.
In response to Ter13
Done.

The problem that I have with the idea of preventing users from deleting their own posts is that it could be a potential privacy and security risk. If someone gained access to your account, they could potentially post your private information in the developer help forum. If this happened, you would have to wait for a moderator to take action, when it should really be removed as soon as possible.

Users should always have discretion when it comes to removing their own posts.
If someone gained access to your account, they could potentially post your private information in the developer help forum

This is a stupid argument.

Stop and think about it for a minute. You can't delete other peoples' posts. If someone posted something that had your personal information in it on a key you don't own, you can't delete it anyway.

Users should always have discretion when it comes to removing their own posts.

Generally, I'd agree. If it weren't for the fact that I have no discretion over my posts being deleted because someone wants to delete their thread and deprive the community of information that they could use for their benefit.

Am I taking crazy pills here?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Error: maximum recursion level reached.

Stop and think about it for a minute. You can't delete other peoples' posts. If someone posted something that had your personal information in it on a key you don't own, you can't delete it anyway.

What if it was someone who physically had access to your computer? They would simply use your currently logged in account to make the malicious post, and even if you regained access, you wouldn't be able to do much about it yourself.

Generally, I'd agree. If it weren't for the fact that I have no discretion over my posts being deleted because someone wants to delete their thread and deprive the community of information that they could use for their benefit.

That's where the recycle bin feature comes in. In that case, this would no longer be an issue. You would still have access to your own deleted post, and could then make a new one.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

Quite possibly. I am concerned.
What if it was someone who physically had access to your computer?

WHAT IF THEY HACKED YOUR BRAIN USING MICROWAVES AND MADE YOU POST YOUR OWN PERSONAL INFORMATION!?!

...This is why I'm of the opinion logic needs to be a required subject in public school...
Page: 1 2