In response to Ter13
Right, everyone knows that hackers don't exist and theft is impossible.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
Right, everyone knows that hackers don't exist and theft is impossible.

I'm gonna have to support Multiverse7 on this one. Hackers and theft, online or otherwise, are issues BYOND needs to handle. Back when I was a moderator, we were known as the Interwebz Police. When anyone had an issue, regardless of website, we'd be put on the scene.
GDI so much Lige.
I don't see preventing self-deletion in Dev Help as a security problem. The only hesitation I have is that this makes for yet another new forum flag, but as features go this would be pretty easy to implement.
Be careful what you wish for.

If the policy for handling posts in Developer Help is changed, then I suggest that it be clearly stated somewhere; not only for reference, but to avoid possible legal issues should something bad actually occur.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
to avoid possible legal issues should something bad actually occur.

From the TOS:
We reserve the right to modify or discontinue any part of the Service at any time. You agree that BYOND will not be held liable for any modification or discontinuance of the Service.

You also agree that BYOND will not be held liable for any damages of any kind resulting from your use of the Service.
LOL. Argument over, well played.
In response to Ter13
It's just that this kind of change is an inconsistent one. It doesn't apply to the entire site. I think it makes sense to have an official sticky post in Developer Help, describing that change.

Also, why would this only apply to Developer Help? I think it would work just as well for Bug Reports and Design Philosophy. Those topics also tend to have very useful information that people would want to keep around. The posts in Design Philosophy tend to be long and well thought out. People would be just as hurt losing posts there, as they would be losing them in Developer Help.
I think Bug Reports might make some sense for this as well.
It applies specifically to Developer Help because that's the only place on the site where people like Ter give well-thought-out explanations to problems that users are having -- on a thread that isn't their own. Ergo, time is being put into something that can ultimately be deleted in an instant should the OP choose. There's no reason for this. In any other forum section, this shouldn't be a problem -- only in Dev Help.

Yes, it can happen in other forum sections. But Developer Help is a forum section that's actually created for these kinds of explanations.
In response to Fugsnarf
I think that's a biased way of looking at the issue. Just because there is a trend of people making the most valuable posts in Developer Help, doesn't mean that it has to stay that way. Applying this same "feature" to other sections would actually make the forums more robust, and encourage people to make longer posts.

This "set in stone" policy could basically improve the stability of most of the forum sections, and if used, should probably become the default across the main site.

The ability to delete threads along with other people's posts is harmful in general. This applies almost anywhere.
Simple solution: only let people delete unresolved posts.
Except not everyone does that.
Page: 1 2