RPG Framework

by Albro1
A small framework for a simple RPG. Newbies can learn from it.
ID:720265

You will need my maptext library.

Make sure you have BYOND version 494 for the maptext to function.

I would do a long description, but that's what the framework is documented for.
loading 7DRL.dme
loading interface.dmf
C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\deadron\eventloop\implementation.dm:135: error: base_event_cycle: duplicate definition
world.dm:45:error: base_event_cycle: previous definition
C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\albro1\maptextlibrary\Maptext Demo\maptext.dm:39:error: maptext: undefined var
C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\albro1\maptextlibrary\Maptext Demo\maptext.dm:41:error: maptext_width: undefined var
C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\albro1\maptextlibrary\Maptext Demo\maptext.dm:42:error: maptext_height: undefined var

7DRL.dmb - 5 errors, 0 warnings (double-click on an error to jump to it)

Also, where's the so called documentation? There's a big difference between "document" and "comment" if that's where the problem is.

Aside from not being able to compile it, looks like it will be fun to explore when I can.
Sorry, those were my bad.

Delete the base_event_cycle definition.

Also, download my maptext library.

As for the documentation, most of the major code files are moderately documented at the top.
I seemed to fix that error...

Include lib - Deadron EventLoop

Remove

atom/var/base_event_cycle = TRUE

In world.dm on RPG Framework
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I seemed to fix that error...

Include lib - Deadron EventLoop

Remove

> atom/var/base_event_cycle = TRUE
>

In world.dm on RPG Framework

The difference here is that EventLoop defines base_event_cycle as a /mob variable, while I changed it to a /atom variable for more customization.
In response to Albro1
It gives an error if that is added... maybe you should update your library ...

I don't want to modify another library to make yours work ... bit silly..
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Sorry, those were my bad.

Delete the base_event_cycle definition.

Also, download my maptext library.

As for the documentation, most of the major code files are moderately documented at the top.

Sorry dude, not my job to fix your library. I'll sit tight for an update. Hate to seem harsh, I actually really want to see and test this. It's just not really right to have your users doing that.

I see what you mean about that 'documentation' and I wouldn't mention it any more after this but for the sake of being super doubly duper anal, that's really commenting not documenting. Documenting as I understand it is when you have an external source of information. I guess you could possibly call it embedded documentation but if the description of what your project actually is, is inside the project files then you might want to write just one sentence as it's description as well. It's just that most people are like to know what they're downloading. Understandably the name says a lot, framework has strong meaning in my mind but I couldn't guarantee it for others.
You both need to realize that this isn't a library. The hub isn't even a library hub. It's a demo hub, and this is a framework.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
It gives an error if that is added... maybe you should update your library ...

I know. Read my specific instructions in the OP to fix it.
I don't want to modify another library to make yours work ... bit silly..

As I said before, it isn't a library.
UPDATE:

I just copy-pasted the EventLoop library into the eventloop/ folder. No need to mess with it any further.
^ nice!

Demo library doesn't matter really as you mention it's a framework .... Wouldn't that be classified as a library since you use it as as a "framework"
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
UPDATE:

I just copy-pasted the EventLoop library into the eventloop/ folder. No need to mess with it any further.

C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\albro1\maptextlibrary\Maptext Demo\maptext.dm:39:error: maptext: undefined var
C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\albro1\maptextlibrary\Maptext Demo\maptext.dm:41:error: maptext_width: undefined var
C:\Documents and Settings\Zecronious\My Documents\BYOND\lib\albro1\maptextlibrary\Maptext Demo\maptext.dm:42:error: maptext_height: undefined var

Deleted old files, downloaded again. Went from 5 errors to 3 errors. On your way.

About the library thing, yeah you're right that it's not a library by definition. A library is more universal and should act like a plugin/add-on.

... However, what I said remains true in principle. It's not your user's job to fix your project for you. I understand inability to compile wasn't forseen by you but considering your reaction was to get us to fix it, I thought that wasn't right.
As it uses BYOND maptext variables, you'll probably want to note a dependency in your documentation on BYOND 494.xxxx.

Corax, do you have one of the 494.xxxx betas installed?

In response to A.T.H.K
Libraries are included in projects. A framework is a starting point of a project. They are completely different.

In my opinion, anything is allowed to require other libraries to work. It all depends on what is necessary. A game framework can be expected to require libraries just as a normal game would.

I'm not on my computer, or else I would say something related to the framework. I think frameworks can work well in this environment, when done well. It's like ripping, which is already common practice in this community, but it's legitimate (so long as you mention your game was made with the framework).
Frameworks do tend to be more all encompassing, yes, and may (although best avoided) have restrictions on what it interacts well with, boiler-plate code to integrate other 3rd party libraries etc. The price for the benefits the framework provides.

The eventloop matter is kind of a fault of both Deadron's library, and the framework, in that namespacing techniques are not at work so the local copy in the framework collides, and the library for having made somewhat grafting additions to core types, at less than opportune points.

The adoption of a local copy into the framework is (usually) a bad sign, because you deviate from the library development, duplicate maintenance effort etc. In this instance it's actually not /so/ bad, as Deadron's code is all basically abandoned and all but deprecated now, so Albro is offering his framework users some guarantees of maintenance not available from Deadron.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
As it uses BYOND maptext variables, you'll probably want to note a dependency in your documentation on BYOND 494.xxxx.

Corax, do you have one of the 494.xxxx betas installed?

That would explain things, maybe a link in the description to the builds list would be great. I'm actually on a different computer while the main is broken so I've lost my bookmarks and am just on the standard build.
The latest beta now lives on http://www.byond.com/download/ directly. So it can be fetched much like the stable build, and has it's release notes available. I can't recall how recently that was included.
I'll add a note about 494 and a link to the download in the description.
Okay so I downloaded 4.94 and cranked this up. Looked almost promising to begin with, and then I tried to do things, intuitive things...

You're on the right track as far as selecting the different pieces of an RPG that need to be there but the execution quite frankly is dismal.

Even behind the scenes was kind of like looking at a pile of corpses in a slasher movie. I understand everyone has their own style but the code is very hard to read. I really can't understand why you're hoping to hand this out as a Framework if it's such a night mare.

Like I said, there are positives to this but I really just think you've taken one of the most difficult tracks. Try looking at other basic environments, rethink then, cut cut cut, reorganise, rebuild.

My advice but I've tried to give advice to people on this forums many times before and man oh man do they not like it. Sorry if I offended you because I know you put so much work into it but please picture me like Simon Cal.

On a side note, you have amazing formal programming skills and intellectual capability. I take my hat off to you fine sir.
Page: 1 2 3