ID:2126384

BYOND Version:511.1349
Operating System:Multiple.
Web Browser:Firefox 47.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Graphics glitches always show up on machines that use nVidia graphics cards.
I can't determine if certain generations of nVidia cards have this glitch, or if all of them do. I don't think the OS is the issue.

On my own machine, Windows 7 and an AMD HD6870, I am getting no graphical issues.

However, on other machines that I believe have nVidia graphics cards, severe glitches with the lighting system occur.

My lighting system is pretty complex so it's difficult to track down specifically which parts of the code would cause this.

There are actually several different glitches that happen, but happen independently from the others. It's difficult for me to track these down because I cannot reproduce this on my machine.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Run the game and walk around: http://puu.sh/qj3JE/e71deead7c.zip

Actual Results:
The following three screenshots were taken on the same machine.
This is what I've dubbed the ghosting glitch. I can't reproduce this

Here, I can't tell what had happened to the lighting; this is a second glitch

However, when this playtester moved a little towards the east, this second glitch disappears.

The playtester reported that the second glitch sometimes come and go almost randomly based upon the character's position in the map.

Here is a screenshot from a different tester's machine that also exhibits the ghosting glitch.

Here are some short videos recorded by a third playtester, also running an nVidia card. These depict both types of glitches.
Video 1
Video 2

Expected Results:
The following screenshots were taken from my machine.
These screenshots are taken to attempt to show what the different positions above should have looked like.

This screenshot was taken to reflect the first screenshot from above.

This screenshot was taken to reflect the second from above.

None of the reported glitches occur on my machine.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time on any afflicted machine.
In other games?
Unknown
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Yes but not my own

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you run the game on a system without an nvidia card...?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Don't know. Some playtesters have reported this on versions as far back as version 510.1345. However, I have confirmed that some of the previous versions used to yield no glitches. This will take a long time to track down since it was many months ago.

Workarounds:
Don't know any.
This might be related to Ishuri's bug report but thus far what I've encountered looks different so I don't think the threads should be merged just yet.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
I was thinking the same thing. It may be similar. I know I've never seen anything like "ghosting" myself.

I can't help but wonder if a matrix is being set somehow incorrectly at some point, or some kind of state setting isn't getting reset properly.
It sort of reminds me of some double buffering problems I ran into when I was making a game in java a few years back.
My only guess would be that it could relate to the triple buffering setting in nvidia's control panel.
Bump.
If this is still happening I need a more reliable test case.
In response to Lummox JR
I can't provide a test case because I don't have an NVidia card. I only bumped this because D4rk3 said he'll come back to BYOND if the issue is fixed and his game is way too sick to let fall by the wayside. Best presentation I've ever seen in a BYOND game.
For all I know it could have been fixed by accident already. The rendering code has gone through numerous changes over the course of 511, so the fix may have simply shaken out of other changes.
Conflating the issue is that a number of people reported issues if they used an out of date directx. Which is now included with the installer.