ID:2129968

Resolved
A default beep sound was made when pressing or holding down a key with nothing to catch it (like an input control) except for the Any macro. Now the presence of the Any macro correctly prevents the default beep.
BYOND Version:511.1352
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Some people are reporting a "ding" or "alert" sound whenever they press a key.

I can't reproduce it on my computer.

I figure it's related to the Any macro, which is used by my Input Handler library (demo included).
Using ANY doesn't stop that awful DONG sound from being made when you press a key that doesn't have a macro assigned, so it's not practically usable for WASD movement unless you assign a macro to each key (or your users are deaf)
In response to Tobba
It also doesn't stop the arrow keys from scrolling through the history of a command input, which makes sensible arrow-key movement impossible.
In response to Tobba
I think you're doing something wrong with REP macros and maybe a movement system? Remove anything related to those and just use the default, see if its something wrong with byond or your stuff.
In response to Tobba
Ah, I think it would make sense to count Any as a macro match for those kinds of cases.
In response to Tobba
It already counts for the check if it should focus the command input or not, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't count for those.
In response to Tobba
Tobba wrote:
It already counts for the check if it should focus the command input or not, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't count for those.

Different logic; the routine that checks all this returns a different value depending on whether a macro was caught or not, and Any is sort of a special case that's checked separately so that another macro can still fire.
In response to Tobba
Tobba wrote:
Using ANY doesn't stop that awful DONG sound from being made when you press a key that doesn't have a macro assigned, so it's not practically usable for WASD movement unless you assign a macro to each key (or your users are deaf)

Is this being looked into, Lummox?
Yeah, I'll look into this before the next release.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Classic-Keyboard-200-USB/dp/ B000MQK6BK

No dinging whatsoever. When $9 of hardware fixes the bug, I think it's pretty safe to say that this is a tablet plebian problem.
Took notice to the dinging just now. All my macros are handled with DM using the Any "[[*]]".

Cheap fix is to Assign a blank verb to all the macros.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
A default beep sound was made when pressing or holding down a key with nothing to catch it (like an input control) except for the Any macro. Now the presence of the Any macro correctly prevents the default beep.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When a map is placed as a pane inside a child element, if you click another interface element (including the map itself) anytime you fire off an "Any" macro it will make the windows error sound as if there is no macro for that key. Only happens with "Any" macros.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhnq6ezanfe3w1a/Test_src.zip?dl=1
WASD to move. Click the map and move again

When does the problem NOT occur?
If the map element is placed in the main window and not within a child or when not using an "Any" macro