ID:2158651

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
This is brought up by id:2158520

Somebody makes a suggestion for a mobile app that can view pms/forum threads have notifications, etc.

Cue everybody saying that the web client can play games on phones despite the fact that the thread poster explicitly stated that playing games would not be involved.

This kind of "I didn't read anything but the subject but i'm going to comment on the thread" behavior is EXTREMLY off putting in any online community.

Nobody likes receiving replies that don't answer your question because the replier didn't bother to read the actual question.
As someone who used to moderate the forums for a couple of years, I can tell you that this feature probably won't work out the way you'd imagine.

While I understand what you're asking for, and can see why it's frustrating, I find it difficult that it would be as enforced as you might like if added. If you look at the posting guidelines, pretty much all of them are broken on almost a daily basis, especially rule #3.

Keep in mind that BYOND relies on volunteer moderators, or rather used to prior to the change of ownership. Without relying on volunteer moderators, Lummox would personally have to oversee the forum 24/7 which takes time out of working on the engine.

In short, if the existing guidelines aren't being enforced as much, I can't see this being as enforced either. But sure, why not. I'll support your request, no harm in trying.
I'm really doubting your mental stability at this point. NOBODY replied with that shit.
The irony of this request coming from /you/ is comical at best.
I think all sites would want this in their rules. Not sure it's practical to put there, though.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
I'm really doubting your mental stability at this point. NOBODY replied with that shit.

Here is an example of a poster that didn't read. If the forums had a warning system it might be more productive.
I don't know, if I had to guess an age that BYOND target's mostly I'd say mid teens through early adults, you can't expect seriousness 110% of the time imo and if going off-topic was to change and result in punishments, then there goes most of the usual forum posters, then you'd just have a dead forum with no sense of humor :P
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
I don't know, if I had to guess an age that BYOND target's mostly I'd say mid teens through early adults, you can't expect seriousness 110% of the time imo and if going off-topic was to change and result in punishments, then there goes most of the usual forum posters, then you'd just have a dead forum with no sense of humor :P

There are threads that should be taken seriously, but I kinda agree; is why I think there should be warnings.
The only thing I find off putting about that thread is how useless of a suggestion it is, and the fact that every time Lummox says "nah bruh, I ain't doin it", the OP ( not just Alien, other people have done this too ) immediately respond with "WELL, WHY NOT? I DEMAND A BETTER EXPLANATION!"

When it comes to feature requests, I'd like to see

- People actually THINK before they post feature requests. Just because you had a spur of the moment idea pop into your head doesn't mean it needs to be posted on the forums. Take a few minutes, make sure it's indeed something worth mentioning, and then post. I do this all the time when I post on the Dota 2/League forums. Sometimes something will feel unbalanced or unfair in the game and I feel like going to the threads and suggesting it be changed but then I stop, play a few more matches, search for other threads where people discussed the same thing and I realize it actually is balanced and nothing needs to be adjusted. If I posted every idea that came to my head, I would have probably around 40 different threads on the League forums - instead I only have 2. Check to see if it has already been asked previously as well - a "no" from Lummox last week will probably still be a "no" this week.

- People take "no" for an answer. If your feature request is rejected, move on with your life. In that thread, even after Lummox said "no", there's still people going back and forth about it when a decision has already been made. Of course making a suggestion you think is amazing and then seeing it get shot down feels crappy but that's life. That's why it's called a "suggestion" or "request" and not a "demand". It means the other person has the freedom to tell you to take your ideas and shove them back up your ass - even if it's a perfectly good suggestion.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
If the forums went back to a tree structure instead of a linear chronological structure, branching conversations wouldn't be so bad. I suggest we make the Forum link redirect to an official BYOND subreddit.
@lige: rule 3 is basically impossible to not be accused of breaking in this community.

90% of the community are petulant whining children. It is impossible to not incite users. Seriously. For some people being offtopic means not agreeing with them at all.
I do agree that a warning shown to users that have their post's deleted stating why would kinda help lead people in the right direction?questionmark??
When deleting posts, moderators tend to send a message to the person, unless it was painfully obvious why, then it's generally not worth the time. If people are confused why something happened and didn't get a message about it they tend to send either Lummox or I a message and we handle it from there.

We did used to have a warning system but it was phased out for some reason (I miss it!)
We did used to have a warning system but it was phased out for some reason (I miss it!)

Tom phased it out because it encouraged a debate about whether the forum rules were valid with repeated problem users.

Basically, what was going on when I was a mod, was we'd delete a post because it was a derail or just outright blatant trolling, incidental trolling because the user was literally too stupid to understand that their behavior was what was causing people to pick fights with them left and right, or general dickassery. A message would be sent to the user.

Said user would argue, insult, berate, etc. with the moderator. Then would tell Tom that said moderator was overstepping their boundaries.

Once Tom agreed with the moderator's action, said user would then rant at Tom for an hour about how all the mods and developers were literally hitler and about how the boards should be free.

Said user, about 30% of the time would then rage out on the forums, derailing and instigating in order to bring more moderator action against themselves in some misguided attempt to get people in their corner and cause more problems.

Eventually, said user would be banned for 24 hours to 7 days. This would escalate the situation further in most cases, causing the user to jump to alt accounts or instigate their dumb little buddies to start posting on the forums on their behalf. We'd lengthen the ban to 90 days. Then we'd get called power-hungry assholes. Then the users would realize the next action was a permaban and they'd get worse yet, actually harassing users via PM and making threats to moderators via their shoutboxes/PM.

Then we'd permaban the user. Then they'd whine to Tom and get unbanned. Then they'd gloat about how Tom himself unbanned them (only after they begged and cried about how they would change), and went right back to what they were doing before the permaban, only re-permabanning them became uncomfortable because we'd be reversing Tom's actions, so we'd usually just try to ignore the user's ever-worsening behavior and hope Tom actually paid enough attention to the forums to see what the user was up to. (He rarely did).

So yeah, the warning message being removed was a good idea. It created more problems than it solved. Most of the time, the user whose message had been deleted would not change their behavior from a talking to anyway, so the best you could do was chase behind them and attempt to quarantine their effect on the small portion of the community that still is attempting to be nice.
In response to Ter13
This is 100% spot-on.

We removed the automated message pretty much just before I took things over. Tom made the suggestion and I agreed with it. As nice an idea as it sounds for moderators to be fully accountable and have their name attached to all actions, and as courteous as someone might think it would be to have an automated message explaining what happened, in practice it did nothing but cause the very trouble it meant to avert.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
This is 100% spot-on.

We removed the automated message pretty much just before I took things over. Tom made the suggestion and I agreed with it. As nice an idea as it sounds for moderators to be fully accountable and have their name attached to all actions, and as courteous as someone might think it would be to have an automated message explaining what happened, in practice it did nothing but cause the very trouble it meant to avert.

And the problem it solved is the reason I became cynical and dickish. Believe me, you don't want the feature back. In some ways, it helped break me.
but what about the 1st amendment?
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:

What about that privilege?
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

What about that privilege?

aint this murica?
Page: 1 2