Spirit Age

by Chris Gayle
Spirit Age
An amazing action adventure game in a fantasy world on mystical islands
ID:798958

Keywords: age, gameplay, spirit

just a video showing basic combat. Apologies for not having any sound. game play has been streamlined in the past few weeks and simplified combat.We made a change from 3 button attack set up to single button for attacking.

-Tapping the A button performs a looping combo.
-each weapon type has a different combo loop.

-holding the attack button performs a stronger single attack, in the video its the spin attack.

you get to try these on the 15th!

comment below with questions.

Also adding spirit age has added three new artists to its ranks and development has never been smoother.

Disclaimer: turf edges,environment layering and densities were turned off for the recording so the turfs were are just squares. and flat objs with no properties. this is just a video of
Looking great. I like the throwback when the little mobs die. I've always wondered why the template doesn't have eyes. I'm assuming because the game is still in early stages and have yet to make the NPCs and such. But it's coming out pretty neat. Love all the artwork.
Well this look brilliant, i love the swinging motion and the knock back i see the interface has changed considerably from when i last remember playing.

I noticed when you use the fire blast thing on the bunny Npc, The bunny was still clearly in sight could you perhaps make the fire attacks layer higher than the Npc? and maybe make it transparent?
all those solid colored interface things are place holders. the interface is still far from completed.

Also the base doesn't have eyes because the set we have done havn't been coded in yet.
Why is there a square in the center of the screen at 3:17 when everything else fades out? Also, around 4:18 there are many cases where the player is animated as if they're running forwards but they're moving backwards. The movement around 5:30 also looks strange - the mob is often moving slowly or facing the wrong direction while attacking or shortly after attacking. It looks like it's hard to control the player while you're fighting.

Out of curiosity, how long has this game been in development?
The targeting system being used in this video is pretty dated. when a player selects a target the player would turn towards that target at all times. this is why the player seems to be "moon walking" when in combat. there's nothing difficult about controls and that's just a visual quirk that will be fixed before we test.

A attacks and D guards nothing complicated about that.arrows keys are movement. there is a walk and a run cycle so when the player moves slowly the icon_state probably switched to walk.

that square in front of the door is a placeholder that signifies a building/structure can be entered. by walking up to it. I used Fraps to record the video, which apparently makes some screen objects either invisible(chatbox is invisible) or messes with map layering in the video. even then it can just be a layering problem that could be fixed pretty easily.

the game has been in development for 9 months.

the video was done very hastily by myself with a very low end PC so i couldn't record the game at full speed without killing my pc.
Zane444 wrote:
this is just a video of

Looks like you got a bit cut-off there.

Anyhow, it looks cool. Looks like the collision detection needs work, though? (The sword/fire seemed to be touching the enemy but doing nothing?) Keep it up.
It's simply COOOL!
Zane will you make destructible objs and other stuff like that?
I'm not sure about destructible terrains.
it would make the game more epic <3
In response to Mobii
Mobii wrote:

Destructible turfs/objects will end up being abused by noob players who find it fun to destroy the maps, IMO if they were added it would destroy the entire look of the game and the hard work that Zane has put into his turfs and objects will be for nothing.
how would destroying turf at all affect the game or even be consider abuse?
Id say only make objs like boxes and all that destroyable.
In response to LegacyGaming
LegacyGaming wrote:
Mobii wrote:

Destructible turfs/objects will end up being abused by noob players who find it fun to destroy the maps, IMO if they were added it would destroy the entire look of the game and the hard work that Zane has put into his turfs and objects will be for nothing.

I don't agree... Simply reset the map, and of course you could limit the ''destroy map'' thing by restricting noobs in a certain level right? Also, rules would be nice too, when some noob destroy some terrains like shit... reset the map and ban that noob.
In response to Scyrus123
Scyrus123 wrote:
LegacyGaming wrote:
Mobii wrote:

I don't agree... Simply reset the map, and of course you could limit the ''destroy map'' thing by restricting noobs in a certain level right? Also, rules would be nice too, when some noob destroy some terrains like shit... reset the map and ban that noob.

Yeah obviously, but considering you get them odd people that get away with it before the reset happens the map itself could just be wrecked. Of course adding a limit on how much people can destroy would be a good idea but if anything should be destructible it should be things like boxes and other objects that have 0 use and that actually have no effect on the map itself. I merely commented on that just because I have seen first hand what destructible objects and turfs can do to a map even with a reset spawn, I am just saying it wouldn't be a good idea.
In response to LegacyGaming
LegacyGaming wrote:
Scyrus123 wrote:
LegacyGaming wrote:
Mobii wrote:

Yeah obviously, but considering you get them odd people that get away with it before the reset happens the map itself could just be wrecked. Of course adding a limit on how much people can destroy would be a good idea but if anything should be destructible it should be things like boxes and other objects that have 0 use and that actually have no effect on the map itself. I merely commented on that just because I have seen first hand what destructible objects and turfs can do to a map even with a reset spawn, I am just saying it wouldn't be a good idea.

Oh ok...well nice idea
I never meant the map itself i meant stuff like rocks maybe they could make a part of the game blocked by a huge bolder until someone is able to destroy it?
Well the game looks very well done. But let's see if you actually will finish the game. I say that because as long as I've been on BYOND I've seen many great games go unfinished, so I'm hoping this one does not fall into that pattern because it looks awesome and very original.
I see that Spirit Age behaves the exact same way in terms of Pixel Movement like some other games I've seen. Every few seconds, there's a small amount of lag. I have to give Chris kudos that it's not so prominent, however. My question, though, is that if the game does that with only 1 player logged on, how's the server going to handle the lag if, say, 100+ players log on?
Page: 1 2