ID:2263606

Hello Readers! You can expect Within BYOND #70 come a bit early next month, as it turns out I'll be in the woods without any reasonable Internet source for the week it is scheduled. I'm going with the mentality of ''If you're early, then you're on time.'' (As opposed to ''Better late than never'') and moving July's release schedule up a week, meaning that Within BYOND will be published on July 5th and 19th, instead of 12th and 26th. August will be back to the normal 2nd and 4th Wednesdays. Now that the calendar jibber jabber is out of the way, lets see what developers have been talking about!

BYOND

Distractions have been pulling Lummox JR from his goal of getting new features into the first beta of BYOND 512, but progressing at any rate! Prettyref.js, the code responsible for the code formatting in the online edition of the BYOND reference was causing some ugly problems in the Google Chrome web browser, but that has since been resolved. Automatically generated instances in the map editor no long have a tag assigned, and crashing code has been put back together. An issue with visual contents, a new feature in BYOND 512, has been found after a few days of searching, and the resource management revamp is close to the radar.

BYOND Games

Mecha Destroyer JD is contemplating the storyline of Fallen Legends in his latest Dev-log. When he's not designing new areas or rewriting the NPC dialog code, he is considering the concept of using humans as the main antagonist, instead of the human-monster hybrid more commonly accepted in RPGs.

Feed has featured many changes over the past two weeks! Kumorii's GIFs show that portals are back in the game, changing colors and pushing mobs around. Rounds have been better balanced to promote player progression, and weapons have modifiers that give special effects when certain conditions are met. Fire, smoke, and gore everywhere!

The battle is on in Melee for the Holy Grail! The four player battle arena game is looking for competitors to knock one another from the combat platform in hopes to win the prestigious Holiest Grail of All Time, along with $20 US dollars. The latest developments (Which range anywhere from character overhauls to smooth camera displacement) in Yut Put's Holy Grail series prompted two weekly challenges, to which the spoils went to Yut Put and Omega, Congratulations!

One common place for Developers to post their developments is the Show Me What You've Got Developers thread. These often come in Twitter style, a quick screenshot and a caption, often without key details like a name. Since this Within is running a bit thin on traditional updates, I'll throw in a few links from there, like the ones left by YURIRAMOS, whom while not filling the feature requests forum with ideas, is developing fire vaporizing arrows and mixed terrains. A signature recognition app too.

RiceINF is chopping up some time by creating countertop graphic displays for his unannounced game.

Unwanted4Murder and Dragon Pearl had a mini contest to create a key mashing game where players punch the correct arrow key when the corresponding arrow passes over the target. Download U4M's game here. Dragon Pearl is more focused on selecting levels in his platformer anyhow.

Maximus_Alex2003 is spending up to a 6 minutes a day developing his HUDS. Check out the code involved in creating and using them.

Zuhayr and his team are on the cutting edge, slicing into Antimonium with medical tools and blood trails. The game is open sourced as well!

Crazah is relaxing in his man cave. It includes all the comforts of home: Adjustable sound system, T-shirts, Crowbars, and a Magic Flute from mother to scare away the things that go bump in the night.

Drawing cards - No pun intended - is part of Bravo1's latest mash-up. The card backing colors really brighten up the dank and diseased environment. Sort of like the monochrome code editor/MUD framework being designed by Kozuma3. Same goes for his avatar.

Reciting an ancient (and worn out) incantation, The Magic Man is working on a project, by recreating the whole game from scratch. A Giant obelisk appears!

BYOND Resources

• Let your games be heard! Maximus_Alex2003 is showing his DJing skills with his MusicMaker.
  • Interested in using verbs and right-clicking on objects without triggering verbs? Ter13 shows how it can be done.
Facebook
Discord
IRC
Reddit
lol 69
Future HUD prototype system won't be released or worked on anymore until 512 brings visual contents.

MusicMaker is just a demo of what I'm going to be making which is basically a way to play individual notes of retro-style 8-bit era music in game but because it's per-note you can change pace or pitch in case of certain events like getting attacked or hiding and etc.
Ex:
        generateNOTE_TO_FREQ(hz)
NOTE_TO_FREQ.len = 127
for(var/note = 0, note <= 127, note++)
NOTE_TO_FREQ["[note]"] = (hz / 32) * (2 ** ((note - 9) / 12))

saveSong(song_name, client/CLIENT)
var/saved_song = file("[song_name].txt")
saved_song << json_encode(src.SAVED_NOTES)
CLIENT << ftp(saved_song)

loadSong(song_file as file)
src.SAVED_NOTES = json_decode(file2text(song_file))
Future HUD prototype system won't be released or worked on anymore until 512 brings visual contents.

I may or may not have code waiting to compile for... Things.
I'm not remaking everything from scratch because it's old and worn out. I'm doing it because my house (including computer) burned down and I lost literally everything.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

I may or may not have code waiting to compile for... Things.

I need to know these... things.

The Magic Man wrote:
I'm not remaking everything from scratch because it's old and worn out. I'm doing it because my house (including computer) burned down and I lost literally everything.

I feel ya. 2008 house fire I lost everything. :\
Higoten wrote:
fire vaporizing arrows

physics improved:
In response to YURIRAMOS
YURIRAMOS wrote:
Higoten wrote:
fire vaporizing arrows

physics improved:

that's more like it!
Thank you for the shoutout!