ID:2269759

Fresh fruit season is upon us, and yet I have not seen any local blueberries in Wegmans. This is a travesty. I had a pretty good crop of raspberries the other day, but now I have to check and see if the black squirrel who raided them the other day left me any. I like black squirrels because they're unusual and cute, so I didn't want to intervene. #blacksquirrelsmatter

This week development has had me working on a bit of this and a bit of that. There are some 512 features high on my list that I haven't puzzled out yet, like preload_rsc changes, so I've focused on features less high on the list that I can make incremental strides on.

One of the things I've been working on is Ter13's suggestion for LEFT/RIGHT/TOP/BOTTOM screen coords, and I've made a fun discovery: The implications of letterboxing are difficult to deal with. As a result, I suspect that this feature will be implemented without considering letterboxing at all. It's mainly useful for games where the zoom is fixed or letterboxing is turned off anyway.

I've also put some more work into topological sorting for isometric and side-view map formats, because I've had that in mind for a long time now and it'd be good to get that monkey off my back. For quite a while I've had an idea of using a presort to cut the map into smaller sections so that a topological sort uses way fewer nodes: For instance, in an isometric map, when there's nothing straddling "columns" 2 and 3 on the map, everything from column 2 back can be drawn first, and therefore can be sorted as a smaller unit. True topological sorting isn't required until harder cases come up, and the goal is to cut the map into the smallest pieces possible first to avoid any more topological comparisons than are necessary.

Bug fixes are still in the works of course, so I've been investigating some of those issues as well. And even web stuff has been on the table. It's been that kind of week.

Summer is in full swing, and so is code season! Dust off that old platformer or dungeon crawl and make it shine. And don't forget to become a BYOND Member if you haven't yet. Again I thank everyone who's supported BYOND with their Memberships and donations. Keep up the good work and the good play!
#allsquirrelsmatter
#albinosquirrelsmatter
Lummox JR wrote:
And even web stuff has been on the table. It's been that kind of week.

Just take my money! More web stuff :D
In response to Foogimicester
Foogimicester wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
And even web stuff has been on the table. It's been that kind of week.

Just take my money eternal love and devotion! More web stuff :D
#BlackHeartsMatter

As a result, I suspect that this feature will be implemented without considering letterboxing at all.

What would that mean for games that use letterboxing if they tried to use these coords