ID:810122

I want this thread to be filled with art that you have learned from, long abandoned, etc. It'll be fun, I think at least. I kind of wanna enjoy my own past agonies, maybe this will help others out with their artwork.

Either way:

This is my very first attempt at a base, lol.

These are just embarrassing as hell.
Some of my very first ventures into the world of pixel art.

I'm confused on how people do what you did with the first image you posted, with the tree. What did you do?
Photoshop filters. At the time I didn't know pixel art had to be done without effects, as it was my first piece ever.
In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:
Photoshop filters. At the time I didn't know pixel art had to be done without effects, as it was my first piece ever.

I did that with the Diedara icons. I had prior knowledge of Photoshop, so I applied numerous amounts of shades to the hair and various other places. It just looks like a mess now.
My growth of trying to pixelate Trees...

Photobucket

Still trying.....
Sadly, I don't even have my old icons when I first started pixelling D:

And GTD, trees are my problems too! I am still trying to improve at them and palettes.
In response to GTD73191
GTD73191 wrote:

Photobucket

Still trying.....

These are about 400% better than most of the scum-ridden [stuff] I see on BYOND. Even the first one.
oh wow really? lol
well I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Well, I usually don't show anything I make on BYOND yet so I guess I'll join in. I have a ton of things I could show, but I 've made base icons the most and can show them the easiest so here they are.

I have no idea how my color palette became so horrible on some of those. It's pretty embarrassing. You may be able to guess this, but I made the first large base right after the third small one, and the second large base right after the fourth small one. It's also worth noting that the fourth small one is the tan skin tone, not the pale like every other base; I didn't feel like digging out the pale.

If you're wondering, yes, most of these bases were made for either DBZ games or games that had fighting styles/body styles that were inspired by DBZ. Unfortunately, DBZ projects were all I worked on at first. Didn't move to more original stuff until semi recently. I'm looking forward to making a base that isn't DBZ influenced, which the first large one wasn't but that was... Just... I don't even know what happened there.

Edit/Side Note: I also hate drawing trees. They're one of, if not the toughest things to do in pixel art I swear. Female icons are a pain too, and waters not fun, but trees... Geeze. I won't be showing mine here right now, though.
In response to Toddab503
I really like the colors in the third base for some reason. I think the brighter outline is just more appealing to me. I actually have no idea how to draw base icons. I tried and it was just horrible. For now i'm just sticking to buildings, monsters and turfs. Funny how I can monsters and not people @_@
In response to GTD73191
GTD73191 wrote:

Photobucket

Still trying.....

Those tree's are good, I really like the last one.
In response to Raimo
Raimo wrote:

Those tree's are good, I really like the last one.

Thanks, I think it's my best one so far.
In response to GTD73191
Bases just take a lot of practice, and probably reading. I usually find it beneficial to study other bases, and stuff about human anatomy etc. Depends on the base and artist, though.

Hm, as far as outline goes I like the large #2 best. It's not real dark, but it's present. Small #3's outline would probably work better if the rest of the colors didn't blend together so much. It uses like 4 colors, but you only see 2-3 clearly.

Maybe you just like the light outline cause it's different? Most people do use dark outlines.
In response to Toddab503
lol you're probably right, it did stand out from the rest of them.
whoa cool stuff, I really like the robot space ship themed ones.
As everyone was putting trees, I thought I should post it as well XD.

Well here it is:

This is the post which contains a great tutorial!
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/ index.php?topic=14143.0
Both of the tree progressions shoe HUGE improvement! Very good work guys and keep it up!
In response to GTD73191
GTD73191 wrote:

Photobucket

Still trying.....

The first tree shows a lot of artistic ability. It's much better than the typical "20 seconds with the spray can tool" kind of tree (which is what I make) - it has an interesting silhouette and the leaves have depth. The later trees don't show any more artistic ability, they just show less and less character. Art isn't about learning to draw a tree the way someone else draws a tree, it's about learning what makes things look nice so you can draw however you'd like to draw. When you're drawing, instead of thinking "hmm, what's an anime tree look like?" you can think "hmm, what do I want a tree to look like?" Lots of independent games feature unconventional art styles because that's kind of the point - mainstream is boring.

Seeing the first tree makes me wish there was a game with graphics of that style I could play. While it's nicely drawn and shows your technical ability, I feel like I've seen that last tree a hundred times before.
In response to Forum_account
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
This is the post which contains a great tutorial!
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/ index.php?topic=14143.0
ooh that gave good tips on the perspective

Forum_account wrote:
Seeing the first tree makes me wish there was a game with graphics of that style I could play. While it's nicely drawn and shows your technical ability, I feel like I've seen that last tree a hundred times before.

Aw shucks, thanks for shining some light on my first try. Now I feel less hard on myself.