ID:2377721

Simple question: Does BYOND get updates anymore, and is it shutting down any time soon?
Yes to updates, no to shutting down.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=180952&page=18

26 updates so far this year.

24 of those are just update fixes to remaining 2 updates.
BYOND's not going anywhere any time soon.
pretty much.
BYOND refuse to die, and it keeps me here send help.
Oh look it's this thread again
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:

back to back.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:

back to back.

front to front
Bruh, you have any idea how much 700 players from SS13 makes byond a day?
In response to LemonYourAid
LemonYourAid wrote:

Probably not as much as you're thinking.
In response to LemonYourAid
LemonYourAid wrote:

The real question is... Do you?

(The answer is no, BTW. You don't.)
More than Unity & Unreal, combined.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
More than Unity & Unreal, combined.

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
LemonYourAid wrote:

The real question is... Do you?

(The answer is no, BTW. You don't.)

Without the analytic data, we'd have to make an educated guess.

I would average BYOND gets about 100 plays per hour. Which amounts to about 2,400 impressions through the BYOND app itself. Which in a week would probably amount to $84. Which might make $336 a month. This is of course just %100 assumption with very limited data.

I'd imagine $360 to $750 with an RPM of $5 (slightly behind the average) would be a reasonable monthly value for video ads assuming the following:

Each unique impression generates an ad that is watched for the required time period (between 2 and 15 seconds), and doesn't lose revenue due to skips (some networks take away all revenue for skipped ads.), and the network is paying for non-unique impressions.

If we conservatively estimate the average unique daily impressions to be around 1K daily unique IPs, we're talking at most $5 per day, or $150 a month.

If we're estimating that impressions are not necessarily daily unique, and go for a conservative estimate of 100 unique impressions an hour, we're talking about $12 a day, or $360 a month.

If we're estimating that there are a daily 5,000 logins a day, we're talking at most $25 a day, or $750 a month in ad revenue before we start taking away anything for skipped ads or non-unique impressions.

In reality, I'd say $360 a month is reasonable, which means that SS13 might potentially generate at the absolute maximum, $5 in revenue a day for BYOND. Less once we consider that certain someones in that community have been caught distributing modified clients that bypass the ads, and that SS13's style of gameplay does not encourage frequent ad impressions at all.

The key though, is that we don't actually know.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I'd imagine $360 to $750 with an RPM of $5 (slightly behind the average) would be a reasonable monthly value for

The key though, is that we don't actually know.

Absolutely. Combining those figures with monthly donations, BYOND is just bearly suitable for one person to get by. I'm sure it's just enough considering we're not seeing more advertisements on the website. I'm sure there's a threshold they'll abide by before resorting to that.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

Eternia would get about 70k hits a year, this was in 2015 with ~100 players at peak times. Maybe a similar amount of popularity to your average long-term SS13 server.

With that amount of traffic Eternia wouldn't have broken a few hundred in a year in potential ad revenue, so I think your estimate is likely /very generous/.
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

Eternia would get about 70k hits a year, this was in 2015 with ~100 players at peak times. Maybe a similar amount of popularity to your average long-term SS13 server.

With that amount of traffic Eternia wouldn't have broken a few hundred in a year in potential ad revenue, so I think your estimate is likely /very generous/.

Very likely. I can't imagine SS13 as a whole having less than 1000 daily ad plays though.