BYONDexe works just fine for us. My users use it over any other way to connect. I don't see the problem at the minute in using the current solution as a stop gap until this feature is put in place at a later date. It's a fair assumption I think that this is totally going to happen but I don't see why it's a "drop everything" type situation.
In response to Crazah
Of course it works fine for you. Since you're part of the selected few that were granted access to it.
You can email BYOND Support or page Lummox directly to get access at the minute. It's painless and took all of ten minutes to get set up. I'm sure that's a fine enough solution for now until more attention is given to the tool suite later on.
Unless of course you have stolen intellectual property in your game. But that would be silly wouldn't it?
In response to Magicsofa
The point still stands. You have to reach out to the owner of the engine so he can approve of your project and send you an key individually. It being free of other's intellectual property isn't the issue here. It's not available to the masses.
In response to NSBR
NSBR wrote:
The point still stands. You have to reach out to the owner of the engine so he can approve of your project and send you an key individually. It being free of other's intellectual property isn't the issue here. It's not available to the masses.

Obviously more deployment options would be great for BYOND but they aren't going to happen overnight. The BYONDexe solution works as a stop gap until Lummox can sit down and really tackle it properly.
In response to NSBR
NSBR wrote:

Basically this.

It's bad, inefficient and puts off many developers (including myself) from touching any "high effort" endeavors with the engine.
Sure, other engines don't require permission to make your project, and are not liable for what someone else makes anyway and so they don't care. But BYOND is different because they can get sued because they allow people to post games on the website, so if they make a copyrighted game they'll sue Lummox. So they can't be allowed to leave BYOND.

Anyway, anime games shouldn't be allowed to exist anyway. On or off of BYOND. They're poorly made and everyone knows that you need to keep some basic quality control so better to just not let them be made in the first place. BYOND should be better than and only allow games that have been chosen and reviewed by professional curators to tell everyone whether the game is good or not before it can be published.
In response to Muhuhu
only allow games that have been chosen and reviewed by professional curators to tell everyone whether the game is good or not before it can be published.

Art is subjective. Surely there is a game/movie where you disagreed with critics and enjoyed the product.

Telling people what they can or can't make results in people using a different tool.
In response to Muhuhu
One would argue that it's better to just don't show these types of games on the website.

And that bashing is strange coming from someone who has Dragon Ball as the only favorite game in their account, lol.
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
Telling people what they can or can't make results in people using a different tool.

Perhaps, but aren't you missing the point which is that you can still make fan games with BYOND? That dragon ball game currently has 75 people online. How come they haven't simply remade the game on a different platform?

In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
Orange55 wrote:

Perhaps, but aren't you missing the point which is that you can still make fan games with BYOND?
Do you mean published? If there is no copyrighted content on the website itself then it's technically not lummox's problem. Could he take a harsher policy considering that several people have submitted claims of copyright infringement? absolutely. But I don't consider lummox's actions to be illegal.
How come they haven't simply remade the game on a different platform?
One does not 'simply' replicate a game on a different engine.

I can't believe you started this post with "ok short and sweet"
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
One does not 'simply' replicate a game on a different engine.

True: I guess it takes time and effort to create a game. So then why did they waste their time and effort creating a DB game on BYOND in the first place? Such a bad platform, you can't even distribute a standalone EXE if you want to piggyback off of a popular TV show in order to gain recognition. Or did someone force them to use BYOND? Maybe Lummox is secretly holding a gun to their head, instructing them that they absolutely must use BYOND to rip off someone else's creation.

It just pisses me off that people like NSBR would call those who actually create original content "the selected few." They are still basically free to use BYOND to make fan-games, and yet they whine when there are drawbacks to their choice to use copyrighted material. And since NSBR actually stands for the one game they have created (Naruto Saga BRazil), I can guess they have no interest in anything else. To make it even worse, their website accepts PAYMENT for in-game perks.

Users like NSBR are the selected few who don't mind stealing intellectual property and then trying to make a few bucks off of it.
tl;dr - Compile 2 EXE is a good idea
This thread wasn't originally about the BYONDexe deployment method at all. Probably should take relevant bits to the actual feature request thread.
In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
This thread wasn't originally about the BYONDexe deployment method at all.

Oh yeah... oops.

In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
Probably should take relevant bits to the actual feature request thread.
But we all know how those things go don't we?

#salt
Going off-topic in the off-topic forum. Shame on y'all.
Looking for anime coders and iconners hmu
Page: 1 2 3