ID:2480806

BYOND Version:512
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 56.0
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When preload_rsc is set to a URL the setting is not respected when a user connects via localhost
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Set preload_rsc to a URL then connect using the join arrow or via byond://localhost:port while monitoring network activity of dreamseeker

Expected Results:
preload_rsc would be respected regardless of connection type
Actual Results:
preload_rsc only respected if you connect to a local server using your remote IP
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
yes
In other games?
presumably
In other user accounts?
yes
On other computers?
Yes
When does the problem NOT occur?
When you do not connect via the join arrow or localhost.

Workarounds:
Joining using the IP given by dream daemon.
Without looking at the code just yet, as I recall this behavior is actually deliberate and not a bug.

Is this actually a problem, considering the localhost connection is basically direct? I'm mostly curious as to the impact of what I believe was a design decision.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Without looking at the code just yet, as I recall this behavior is actually deliberate and not a bug.

Is this actually a problem, considering the localhost connection is basically direct? I'm mostly curious as to the impact of what I believe was a design decision.

It came about from testing various behaviors of preload_rsc and while always direct downloading from localhost is desired in 99/100 cases mine just resulted in being forced to wait 30 seconds for every connection and to sometimes watch an ad.
The ads shouldn't be triggered for localhost connections either.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The ads shouldn't be triggered for localhost connections either.

connecting via localhost causes direct download of the rsc ignoring any preload_rsc setting
Which is likely 100% intentional as Lummox noted.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:

Which is why i had to sit and wait 30 seconds or an ad to test, we're going in circles here my dude.
In response to Pomf123
Nadrew wrote:

It's Intentional, it throws off those growing their power to fast.
If it is really intentional, which honestly I wouldn't doubt it to be, would it be possible to have some sort of setting in either DD or the code that overrides the localhost preload_rsc behavior?
You know in the haste of Nadrew and Pomf to trip over each others feet, you still haven't explained what you're trying to achieve that makes this a problem.
In response to Optimumtact
Optimumtact wrote:
You know in the haste of Nadrew and Pomf to trip over each others feet, you still haven't explained what you're trying to achieve that makes this a problem.

I want to do any sort of testing on preload_rsc without being subject to ads.
pay for a byond account then you homeless bum

I know you can afford it
I'm not going to pay to connect to myself without ads
Hey man don't even worry about it, I'll spot you the membership, no ads for my boy, I know times must be tough at your station with your crew, so yo let me help you out.

Orange man good??!?
This doesn't resolve the problem for anybody that wants to test this stuff in the future.
They can feel free to hit oranges up too
In response to Pomf123
Pomf123 wrote:
This doesn't resolve the problem for anybody that wants to test this stuff in the future.

The real question is why ads are playing on your machine over a local connection. You need to document it happening, and to make a proper report with all possible relevant information so that this issue can be fixed.

I do not believe for a minute that Lummox is actually interested in serving ads to people hosting on their own machine for testing purposes. Member or not. You just need to take a minute to help him help you by collecting information so that he can take a look at a proper report on the issue.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Pomf123 wrote:

The real question is why ads are playing on your machine over a local connection. You need to document it happening, and to make a proper report with all possible relevant information so that this issue can be fixed.

I do not believe for a minute that Lummox is actually interested in serving ads to people hosting on their own machine for testing purposes. Member or not. You just need to take a minute to help him help you by collecting information so that he can take a look at a proper report on the issue.

if I connect to byond://localhost:port or byond://127.0.0.1:port I don't get ads AND preload_rsc is ignored
if I connect to byond://my.remote.ip.addr:port I get ads but preload_rsc is respected
Page: 1 2