ID:2553484

Hello Readers! Given the recent developments around the COVID-19 Coronavirus, I thought I’d take a moment to let you know that BYOND has stepped up its game to ensure there is virtually no possibility of exposure from playing games and using the software. The databases have been thoroughly sanitized, virus-laden spam has been cleaned from the forums, and some games wipe down their savefiles regularly!

And remember, the more time spent on BYOND means less time spent in a group situation with a likelihood of virus transmission, so social distance yourself with Dream Seeker or Dream Maker today!

BYOND

BYOND Developer Lummox JR has been hard at work resolving issues and finishing up on features as BYOND 513 nears stability! A Unicode issue slipped in, the skin editor back-end upgrade project was completed, maptext has a few new flags, and the text/number conversion procs accept other base values. If you’ve ever been curious as to why debug projects are critically important to correcting issues, then check out his adventure in determining why some magic numbers - under the right conditions - trashed the pick proc. He also takes a moment to talk about outline shaders and animations over on Patreon.

BYOND Games

Many new spells and skills have been added to Astral Stigma! Soma Ryudo reports that menus have been modified to allow for healing and recovery items to be used both in-and-out of battle. The turn-based battles are now less back-and-forth as speed is now taken into consideration when taking turns. Additionally, certain advanced enemies will take evasive maneuvers, and consider the player's immunities and weaknesses.

A chapter is turning in Eternia 3: Chronicles of Esshar, with a 50-year timeskip taking place around the end of the month. That decision was reached after a vote from 146 players, with the majority in support of the skip, as quickly as possible.

Mecha Destroyer JD has published an initial release of Fish Adventure. The game is pretty straightforward, but certainly has potential! Once you’re in the game, talk to the helper to get a fishing pole, line, and bait. Then head over to the nearest lake and experience the turn-based fish conflict action!

Kozuma3 continues to make steady progress on Elora, announcing that a very big update is impending! New to the game is the addition of pets and a monster index, monster transformations, fishing, and admittedly useless collectible cards. At last check, Boats were under consideration, treasure chests were being buried, and unfavorable temperatures may soon kill.

Water Sourcers have been brought to the world of Sigrogana Legend 2, tasked with the important job of ensuring that the towns and cities have access to water that is clean and pure. Rune Magicians have had some of their skills modified, runes now show their range, and a handful of changes make chatting more enjoyable.

Zombie Paradise is taking the zombie survival to space! Actually, it would seem that the survivors are taking to space and leaving the zombies behind. Good choice. Players now begin aboard a spaceship and beam down to Paradise City, and perhaps even more places in the future. Speculation aside, lootboxes are gone, new objects can be built, robotic exterminators seem to dislike both humans and zombies, and more involved quests are coming soon.

BYOND Resources

• Poplava has begun creating an interactive code sampling and educational environment, aptly named BYONDme. The resource is currently in it's early stages, but worth a visit to play with the animation samples!
Facebook
BYOND Discord
Dream Crafters Discord
Twitter
Reddit
BYOND >>>> Socializing
April 1st is not even 2 weeks away
Crazy how fishing as a game mechanic has blown up over the years. Perhaps all those RuneScape players are finally becoming devs.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-fishing-games/

As for BYONDMe, it's an alpha prototype concept trial thing destined to die a horrible and deserving death but who knows. I've also been using it to advance my git/github and hosting build pipeline prowess a bit.
Love Higoten's journalism.
In response to PopLava
PopLava wrote:
Crazy how fishing as a game mechanic has blown up over the years. Perhaps all those RuneScape players are finally becoming devs.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-fishing-games/

As for BYONDMe, it's an alpha prototype concept trial thing destined to die a horrible and deserving death but who knows. I've also been using it to advance my git/github and hosting build pipeline prowess a bit.

Nice link. It's my second attempt, but I'm trying hard to bring a decent fishing game to Byond. I've been dying to play a simple yet deep fishing game ever since I played one on one of those "1000 great games" type PC discs as a kid.
JoltFire wrote:
This is a bad look for BYOND Higoten. Over 1300 confirmed deaths. Joking about toilet paper or supply shortage is not a huge deal but referencing the virus itself, idk man.

People need to joke about this. Nobody denies the seriousness of the situation but keeping a sense of humor is essential.
Toilet Paper Adventures

A roll playing game.

But seriously though, be safe everyone. Just stay home and hang out with your virtual friends. It's actually good for you this time. Go outside, also. IRL sunlight and fresh air are needed to stay in good health!
I short prepped as soon as I did an analysis of the situation "starting" in China.

Told someone to take it seriously, they didn't. Days after 2 cases popped up in his state. Called him again then, they not worried about it. Waited a week and called him again, they couldn't find toilet paper. More weeks passed and today there's 750+ cases in the state and the wife has been exposed to someone who tested positive in the work place.

I being the ugly rat who watches some of the news from the hated network and my own analysis from other sources was the only one who actually took care of being prepared.

I only bought an extra pack of toilet paper tho. Not sure what the deal with that is. Rumor has it someone said toilet paper, being paper, are equal to masks because they are made of paper materials...that came from the same person that didn't trust my analysis tho.

Best thing I seen from this so far is a cake made that looks like a toilet paper roll.

A game where you collect/horde tp would be hilarious though. Maybe make a point to find creative ways to use it since the current hording situation makes so little sense. Treat it like gold.

Although, that calls out a potentially fun mechanic of hording and dominating markets in a post-apocalyptic setting. Like, an open world where you can specialize in something like tp hording.
Don't let the clowns spread the Coronavirus on Space Station 13. Just don't.
All these updates always make me nostalgic as hell thanks for continuing them