Bump
I've been trying to implement this on the IDE, it's not easy.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I could swear I've seen this suggested already, but maybe it was just in the forums. This is kind of on par with IntelliSense in that it's not trivial to add.

Well it's been a year so I think a bump should be ok right?
Hmm, have people seen/ do people use the ide -uses sublime text 2 or something- that DT released in the last year or so (unsure of time period)? It seemed like it had a lot of stuff people liked or were looking forward to in it back when i was looking at his posts/the topics about it.

Perhaps if this isn't likely to happen soon, he -or perhaps another- could get the code folding/intelliSense going on with that? -nudge nudge-

..Oh, i remember now why i opted to just stick with DM after downloading it, because of the lack of icon editor/map/other feature alternatives in the Ide. Then again i guess that would be somewhat of a big job to undertake, getting all that in there and to an acceptable standard.. hmmm :/ ah well.

Tbh, if this and intelliSense were to be valuated as being about as non-trivial as eachother, i'd prefer that the latter be included over the former.
Bump

I came across this thread unexpectedly. This seems to be a great idea. It'd be nice to have something like this implemented.
I don't know why this "still" haven't been added to the compiler, but damn I wish it was there!

Bracket collapsing!
Why not hide all those empty methods, and bring a viewable overview of the code while you write and process the program.

As a personal preference, I would suggest that the behaviour of the collapsing would vary of how you format the code.

an example of different behaviour would be:
mob/var/example1

example1 = list(
e1,
e2,
e3);

//would turn out

mob/var/example1
[+]example1 = list(...)

//Where as the pluss sign would appear inside a bar on the left side of your code editor.
//And an other behaviour would turn out like this f.eks:

mob
var
example2 = list(e1,e2,e3)

//would turn out

mob
[+] var

I mean, in alot of my own personal usage, i would like this sort of behaviour of the system. The reason to why i address to this sort of behaviour, compared to other compilers solution to collapsing is because the way i view the DM code compared to other languages, which is object oriented but also bracket required.

Don't get missdirected. I do request the future "code collapsing", but my idea towards how it works is just my idea how to solve it, where as other compilers, for instance Eclipse for java, would use collapsing towards where you open and close brackets.
In response to Tafe
I dig it.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Well, thats just awesome. . .

D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
I dig it.

Keep it to yourself.

Fyi, i did post this as a separate thread, not knowing there already where a thread about this. Saying it, just so we don't have an confusion that i imaginably came up with a whole idea in a thread where the idea was already the topic. GG
Any chance this will happen?
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

This ^

Please? I can't even begin to express how useful this would be.
In response to Lavitiz
Lavitiz wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

This ^

It's such a common thing in almost every .. single .. IDE .. even most notepads have it nowadays .. why can't we?

Surely it's not that difficult? Right?

If you want professional looking software, you need to provide the tools that surpass Microsoft's Notepad..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

This ^

It's such a common thing in almost every .. single .. IDE .. even most notepads have it nowadays .. why can't we?

Surely it's not that difficult? Right?

If you want professional looking software, you need to provide the tools that surpass Microsoft's Notepad..

I laughed so hard at the irony. xD

I really do hope we get this feature though. I'd use it all over the place. It's so annoying having to scroll through tons of irrelevant code. I'd rather just section everything off and collapse what I need hidden.

We can wish, but I doubt we'll get anything we really want until BYOND's open-sourced. Even then, I'm sure it'll be difficult to get a collaborative version of it that some 'coder' hasn't ruined.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I could swear I've seen this suggested already, but maybe it was just in the forums. This is kind of on par with IntelliSense in that it's not trivial to add.

Bump. This would still be nice to have.
Bump
vscode extention:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/ items?itemName=gbasood.byond-dm-language-support

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/ items?itemName=platymuus.dm-langclient

Add these two, open the main folder in vscode (not the dme).

• IntelliSense support
  • Go to definition
  • Find all references
  • Object tree and file outline
  • Basic Linter.
  • Expandable linter with optional lint enforced private/protected/final variables/procs and Optional list type and return type annotations with lint time enforcement.

More info:
basic linter:
https://github.com/SpaceManiac/SpacemanDMM/tree/master/src/ dreammaker#diagnostics

expandable linter:
https://github.com/SpaceManiac/SpacemanDMM/tree/master/src/ dreamchecker#diagnostics
In response to MrStonedOne
Been using this for a while now, having all of VSCode's editor features is really nice, especially with IntelliSense. I'm pretty much never using Dream Maker to edit code, ever again.

My only issue with it is that the parser fails/complains too much. I've posted a few issues on GitHub about that already. The parser is guaranteed to break for various reasons when opening any large existing project, requiring what are essentially stylistic changes throughout the entire source. It's totally worth getting to work, though.
Also, if you think this is cool.

Wait until you find out about the debugger.

MrStonedOne Fantastic work!
This tool is miles ahead of Dream Maker.
Page: 1 2