ID:2599098

http://www.byond.com/games/SaucepanMan/ShinobiOfLegend

This is the current owner of SoL. This man stalked a lady half way across the world, tried to kill himself on camera, broke his fist on camera, has threatened to ruin her life, created social media accounts impersonating her and spoke with her family and friends pretending to be her. He has threatened repeatedly to kill himself, he has called her work place and tried to have her fired.

he has enlisted his own friends to berate and get in contact with her and she has no on more than one occasion been threatened to be killed and/or hurt.

THIS person is not SaucepanMan, this is a man living in Australia who is now holding the game ransom from all of its own players. The game is now being hosted on another hub page and this man is now doing this and using Byond as his platform to do so.

He has still been threatening to travel to this woman's home the moment covid restrictions are lifted and has had the police in Australia repeatedly called on him.

Surely Byond is not the place for this kind of behaviour? is there any help to be had here?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: BYOND isn't the internet or real life police. They're not a special task force that can be dispatched anywhere in the world to handle community members' misbehavior. If they call someone a poopy-head on BYOND's forum, then sure, you can try to get that comment removed. But that's about it.
Yea if I recall correctly he even tried getting some of the players in on it to mess with some girl on twitter.
If you have evidence he's using the platform to harass people, there are tools to hopefully prevent those messages from reaching their targets. The block tool is the first step. If the problem becomes more widespread, more aggressive action has been taken in the past.

The unfortunate bit about people like this, though, is that they will not change because action is taken against them, and ultimately the only thing that can really be done is to aggressively de-platform them from everywhere as recourse for their actions until they ultimately hurt someone in real life and are incarcerated, or they have an exceedingly unlikely crisis of conscience.

There's no winning action with people like this. Only the certainty of bad outcomes for everyone involved. Honestly, I've been threatened more than a few times. Thankfully, BYOND's selection of "dangerous" people are as short on neurons as they are screws, and it's pretty easy to goad these people into going too far and seeing consequences.
The problem here at this moment is the ransoming of my own source and his multitude of byond accounts; Mystery16 is his main saucepanman was given to him 4 years ago(or so). And he is currently giving me a countdown of 24 hours to close or he will leak my stuff.

Clearly it's my own undoing by letting him have it in the first place. But I'm more annoyed that someone like this is using byond as his platform to do it
In response to ScrewyParasite
ScrewyParasite wrote:
Clearly it's my own undoing by letting him have it in the first place. But I'm more annoyed that someone like this is using byond as his platform to do it

It's absolutely nothing new, unfortunately. You are probably better off using the support request if you are alleging that a user is using the service in violation of the TOS. Using the service to harass or incite others is a reason to terminate the account of the user, and an action against a cluster of accounts owned by the same person is possible.

Use this link. Include evidence and keep it brief, and try to keep it factual based on what you can prove. Hearsay and emotional hyperbole won't get you anywhere with Lummox, because he won't be bothered to investigate based on a screed of unverifiable assertions.

Unfortunately, you are in a community where people have made a habit of abusing the good faith of the staff to resolve their petty grievances, so it really, really takes a lot to overcome the inherent burden of suspicion that you are stepping into through no fault of your own. That might seem unfair, unfortunately, you just lack the context of the decades of interpersonal infighting that people have tried to fob off on the admins who genuinely want to do the right thing. It's just unfortunate that often times, the right thing isn't possible and you can only choose between the least worst thing to do --and taking no action is very often the least worst thing to do.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
ScrewyParasite wrote:

It's absolutely nothing new, unfortunately. You are probably better off using the support request if you are alleging that a user is using the service in violation of the TOS. Using the service to harass or incite others is a reason to terminate the account of the user, and an action against a cluster of accounts owned by the same person is possible.

Use this link. Include evidence and keep it brief, and try to keep it factual based on what you can prove. Hearsay and emotional hyperbole won't get you anywhere with Lummox, because he won't be bothered to investigate based on a screed of unverifiable assertions.

Unfortunately, you are in a community where people have made a habit of abusing the good faith of the staff to resolve their petty grievances, so it really, really takes a lot to overcome the inherent burden of suspicion that you are stepping into through no fault of your own. That might seem unfair, unfortunately, you just lack the context of the decades of interpersonal infighting that people have tried to fob off on the admins who genuinely want to do the right thing. It's just unfortunate that often times, the right thing isn't possible and you can only choose between the least worst thing to do --and taking no action is very often the least worst thing to do.

I tried going that route but it says they are unable to accept messages at this time
From what I can tell this is a case of mistaken identity. SaucepanMan does not appear to be active and I see no connection to Mystery16.
Believe me lummox, read the messages. Mystery16 is messaging my directly. Spm gave mystery access to his account when he gave him sol years back.

Anything spm since that day has been mystery. I can supply images and screenshots to prove any of this

Spm is a great and amazing person, this isn't him. If you have ability you can check the IP of both spm and mystery to see they are now one in the same

Unless of course spm gave mystery access and ability to change the sol hub entry
Mystery16 is listed as a helper and made changes to the hub entry 3 years ago. I also saw a change as of this morning.

But ultimately nothing going on here on BYOND looks like it's untoward. SaucepanMan has been inactive for quite some time.
http://www.byond.com/games/Synnistor/NNP

Mystery16 gave my files off, and is now being hosted by someone else... thanks for the help :L
http://www.byond.com/games/SaucepanMan/ShinobiOfLegend

Does this message now cross into the realm of control? He is sharing my source directly in the hub
I don't see any evidence these are your files. The text on the hub entry doesn't say anything to imply it isn't the source of the original game being released, which as far as I can see Mystery has the right to do. What am I missing here?
For the record, it's kind of weird that you opened with trying to get the guy banned from BYOND for harassing some woman, and then only later revealed that you were only bringing it up because he was threatening to release some source code.

It's just... A really strange way to have gone about this, and makes the whole situation feel... Manipulative and dishonest.
I understand, I opened with this as I needed to relay how serious a situation this is. I can understand how that comes across and I apologize, as mentioned though I do have a lot I can show but out of respect for byond, it's not something I feel belongs in the forums.

I have given a link of some screenshots of chat logs showing some of what he's done relative to byond directly to Lummox instead. If you all feel that I'm in the wrong here outside looking in I understand that as well and take the full blame for it appearing this way.

Ter13 I have learned an absolute load from you and I apologize to have brought this to the forum the way I did

The text on byond shows its just releasing sol, but the files he released were both it and a "NNP.rar" that was my source. As far as the byond hub words are concerned he didn't mention it at all. If you were to get the files you would find my name and key all over it created using a lot of things j learned from the forums. It's a calculated decision in mysteries part, he's actually a very smart and respectable person on a normal basis which makes it difficult to show considering I got the files taken down by supplying evidence to the gofile website he hosted it on

Edit: sorry I was wrong he did actually mention nom there at one point
"(This was literally the first file upload site I could find but yeah.. both SoL & NoM are here.)" You'll see the nom hub has been up for years under my name, he didn't share nom he shared nnp (hes just unfamiliar with my naming structure)
I'm curious, how did this person get his hands on your source?
Like come on, what reason would I have to rip SoL, I've been hosting it on SPMs behalf for the better part of 10 years. I have my own source that even now I feel is built on better structure(mind you still amateurish compared to some of you), I have nothing to gain. I openly advised the sol player community when I started hosting under a new hub I would only give them one more update to fix some the bandaids I left in because I wanted to work on my own game.

I gave Myst my nnp source because he was a very trusted friend who I gave the source to learn from, to judge me on, and to have under the pretense he would never share it. Even now, through all this, I honestly could trust him with a lot; understand he is unwell and is doing things out of retribution but all in all his integrity was solid. I've known him for longer than the time I hosted the game, he is one of my oldest friends. We've started multiple projects together, both in and out of byond, this entire situation hurts more than just for my source being released
Screwy has hosted SoL for many many years and for the longest time was the only thing keeping it alive. He was literally the only staff member that would ever get on or talk to players or help at all. He has no reason to rip SoL at all. Mystery used to be a better person and actually be dependable and trusted, but he kind of went psycho when he got dumped by said girl from above. He went out of his way to try to hurt as many people as possible and hold SoL hostage from its many fans.

Screwy was trying to help the player base and fans of SoL and in the process got his source released, had someone take credit for his work, lost a friend, and is now not being believed by you guys. I don't know what it's worth if anything, but I 100% promise you that what he's saying is the absolute truth. Mystery has completely lost it and just tried to hurt everyone in the process.

Regardless of the stalking and everything else, he released Screwy's work and now one of his buddies is plagiarizing and saying it's his. Surely something can and needs to be done.
Evidently mystery is reading these posts and has since updated the hub to remove nom from the name and instead made it all one "full release.rar" file that also still has nnp in it.

If he wasn't behaving nefariously why would he change the description to remove my games name? Ask yourselves that

He posted a read my file in the rar stating and I quote

"Hiya,

So defs check out NNP code for a bunch of things. SoL is there in full however it removes all the website shit and you might need to redo the Admin stuff a bit.

In all, be kind to the code as you need to remember SPM did the majority of it and was new. You can't go around calling it trash when you've all been addicted to it for years.

(Oh I also removed the "Rape" content that Fry added because that's kinda just gross but that's the type of person he is.)

Enjoy!"

I really need to know how this doesn't break terms he's openly doing this in front of everyone and just throwing my name around in multiple places
I've been playing SoL for 3+ years, I'm not one of the original players. However, I did become a GM during my time here on this game and here's the situation from what I've seen.

Screwy:
* Single-handedly hosted and kept SoL alive for all these years (10+ years).
* Used to be very good friends with Mystery.
* Has been the constant voice of reason for SoL all these years.
* Gave his NoM/NNP source to Mystery as means for Mystery to improve SoL since Mystery was already ripping NoM as his updates.
Mystery:
* Has been very good friends with Screwy in the past
* Gave Screwy the SoL source and made him owner after some major mental health problems in the past year.
* Has used SoL as a platform of hate – he’s asked multiple players to stalk / harass his ex-girlfriend.
* Would make updates for a few weeks (occassionally fix bugs) and then go AWOL for 3 – 6 months at a time.
* About a year or two ago he implemented a rebirth system that he insisted could no way be bugged (basically wiped the character’s save after 2nd rebirth). It remained broken for over a year while Mystery was AWOL again.
* Would mute things he didn’t like, remove GMs for making jokes he didn’t like, and ban people for little reason.
* I am still a GM on SoL and Mystery threatened to remove my GM for using a joke that most of the community makes about one of the OG players (and he has said multiple times he doesn't mind).
* He’s removed GMs for making jokes, banned players for saying his content isn’t original (will get to that in a second), and constantly been a parasite to a game that continues to thrive.
* On multiple occasions Mystery’s answer to any issue with SoL is “let it die”. Why kill a successful game that asks nothing of you?
Recent Events:
* (years ago) SPM runs a successful SoL – not the perfect game but a loved game nonetheless. Screwy is the host and Mystery is a GM. Mystery becomes owner because Mystery points out that Screwy shuts down SoL on the weekends to host his own game (NoM/NNP). Screwy continues to host SoL for years (up to the present).
* Screwy gave Mystery NoM/NNP source in order for Mystery to implement concepts of NoM/NNP into SoL. The majority of Mystery’s updates were either copying content from NoM/NNP or making admin system changes.
* Mystery causes a lot of real life drama involving threatening a girl’s life, multiple attempts at suicide, and many police-involved situations.
* Mystery feels suicidal and gives Screwy the SoL source and makes him owner (as a way to manipulate Screwy to talk to his ex-girlfriend for him). Screwy has screenshots of this chat to prove this.
* Mystery goes AWOL and Screwy continues to host SoL, but now Screwy starts making updates to SoL and SoL’s never been better – first new boss added in years, new original techniques, etc.
* Mystery returns months later and has a major fight with Screwy and shuts down the SoL discord and locks down the SoL hub. This is the same pattern of using SoL as platform for his hate and taking it hostage to get what he wants.
* Screwy continues to host SoL on a separate hub because what did the players do to deserve this? They just want to play this game they’ve continued to play for 10+ years.
* Mystery goes AWOL for months then finds this hosted version.
* Mystery logs into the hosted version and threatens to release Screwy’s NOM source if he doesn’t shut down the version, he has hosted for 10+ years (since the days SPM was around).
* This is when Screwy posts this thread – because Screwy cares much more about the real-life aspect of this. I don’t know the full details of why Mystery decided to rampage this time since Mystery’s life is full of so much drama, I’ve lost track. Regardless, every time he makes a move like this it’s because some real-life event and he acts out using BYOND/SoL.
* Mystery re-opens SoL discord but only enables himself to speak (deletes everyone’s messages he doesn’t like). He uses the SoL discord as an announcement platform for his threat/ultimatum.
* Mystery goes AWOL for 3 days after his deadline.
* Mystery messages Screwy that he’s going to kill the ex-girlfriend. Screwy submits a police report.
* Mystery posts source and writes a long speech about how the community is toxic (remember the one he ran as a dictatorship and muted anyone he didn’t like the words of?) and how Screwy was terrible.
* Mystery announces the death of SoL on the hub, FB page, and discord page. He deletes any comments he doesn’t like, disables comments if he can, and ultimately makes sure anyone who doesn’t know that Screwy has continued his tireless effort of keeping this game alive continues to be in the dark on this.
Page: 1 2