ID:2630221

BYOND Version:513.1536
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 86.0.4240.111
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I am attempting to compile some very old sources from one of my old hard drives so this could be the issue (I believe this started in byond 3). It is a very large project source, but should in theory still compile (or at least spit errors out).

I have updated to the newest version as someone else
( http://www.byond.com/forum/post/2547992 ) had a similar crash-on-compile error. Currently using newest version (513.1536). Occured in a version previous prior to updating to this version, unsure as to last compile time (Some files date back to 2006, so excuse the mess)

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Have source code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeewov9ddgihgla/ Old%20Pokemon%20Game%20Source.7z?dl=1

Compile + Run

Expected Results:

Project to compile

Actual Results:

DreamMaker crashes during "Generating Object Tree" (sometimes earlier?)

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? every time so far
In other games? none that I have seen
In other user accounts? n/a
On other computers? none tested

When does the problem NOT occur?
Unsure so far

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Tested Versions (1113-1205 tested just before posting):
490.1113 - Unresponsive on open ("Updating" dme).
500.1205 - Crashes
512.xxxx - Crashes (Unsure which version I had before updating to 513)
513.1536 - Crashes

Workarounds:

None so far

Is there a way to run DreamMaker from a command line to get a possible error message / error code from the crash?

Edit: If this belongs in beta-bugs I can move it there. Didn't see two different bug report forums, it's been a while since I've been here.
You can compile on the command line using dm.exe instead of dreammaker.exe.

Either way Windows should have crash details in the event viewer that may be helpful.
https://pastebin.com/MSpSJ9cb

Found the crash in Windows Event Viewer

Edit (More info in Event Viewer):

Faulting application name: dreammaker.exe, version: 5.0.513.1536, time stamp: 0x5f88aa90
Faulting module name: byondwin.dll, version: 5.0.513.1536, time stamp: 0x5f88aa3d
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x0007d071
Faulting process id: 0x397c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6ae3087709921
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreammaker.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byondwin.dll
Report Id: 73d89a04-0316-44b5-a1af-79ff31dd0586
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Just so you know, if it does reach the object tree generation portion, the game is compiled and you can run the dmb. The object tree generation actually has nothing to do with the compilation of the game (and should really be disconnected from it)
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Just so you know, if it does reach the object tree generation portion, the game is compiled and you can run the dmb. The object tree generation actually has nothing to do with the compilation of the game (and should really be disconnected from it)

So what does it do then?
Builds the tree that you use while mapping.
So I can compile but I cannot edit any maps or the like. That is annoying.

Do you have any workarounds to suggest I could try? Is there a way to run the tree generation apart from the compile process?
That exception code means there was an unmanaged exception. Can you send me a zipped copy of the source? Maybe there's an issue I can address here.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
That exception code means there was an unmanaged exception. Can you send me a zipped copy of the source? Maybe there's an issue I can address here.

Zipped copy is in the first post, Google drive link :)

It's really old, pre-2010, and fairly large project that went through lots of different programmers over the years, so sorry for the mess in advanced.
In response to KingCold999
The link says I can't access it because it's in violation of their ToS.
Weird. Assuming it's because of ripped spritesheets? Edited link to a dropbox.
Alright so it's definitely on "Generating Tree" that this crashes, as I cannot open maps either (crashes after a few seconds of "Generating Tree")

Lummox JR wrote:
You can compile on the command line using dm.exe instead of dreammaker.exe.

Is it possible to run the tree generation in command line as well, see if it outputs anything?