ID:2671247

Hello, readers! Bringing with it some wonderfully warm weather, spring has certainly sprung around here. April Fools came and went, which meant some interesting jokes being had and pranks being played. Some rain has confined me indoors, which means it's time to check up on what you all have been up to. Many developers are creeping out of their wintertime hidey-holes and starting up some new projects, while others seek to continue maintaining their crown jewels. Whatever their situation, what have BYOND's developers prepared for us this time? Let's find out!

BYOND

Managing to juke the Friday release curse, BYOND Developer Lummox JR pushed out 514.1550, which brought with it a myriad of fixes. One of those changes was an addition to strings, in that they now store length information. This experimental change seemed to pass the rigorous standards of SS13, so there wasn't a need for any major follow-up fixes! The web reference's dark mode transition is now very smooth and loads faster, and it had an "Understanding the renderer" entry added to it. Another brush with null-conditional operators came to bite Lummox JR again, and he went into great depth about how this operator works over on Patreon. When April Fools came around, Lummox JR didn't disappoint, alluding to the possibility of open-sourcing some parts of BYOND and porting Dream Seeker to Linux! Aha... Good one, Lummy. Don't be too downtrodden though! In a comment, Lummox mentioned he was interested in opening some limited API access at least! Forging onward, the comedy genius waged war with a gliding issue, which got some spotlight on Patreon, and plans for expanded profiling of SendMaps() were made and should be able to make it in before 514 completes its beta. Looking great overall!

BYOND Games

https://i.imgur.com/e86YVgR.gif Starting out this edition strong, I want to highlight the monumental success of Hazordhu's release over on Steam! Huge congratulations to F0lak and his squad! Following a huge launch party, F0lak set his eyes on the horizon, looking to beautify and pollinate Haz's environment. F0lak also fixed a bunch of bugs and made updates to combat, making it a bit easier to block attacks and strike enemies! Developmental eyes are on bosses, dungeons, and animal effigies that can be sacrificed to various altars throughout the world. F0lak's making big moves, so if you want to purchase Hazordhu, you can do so via the hub or on Steam. BYOND Members can play for free, though!

https://i.imgur.com/4o2Khle.png Inutaishos' Azusa RP Online received a massive update, Revival, that brings with it a total player wipe and a huge list of changes! The lore has now adjusted to simply be focused on Olympian gods descending to mortal forms to battle and interact with other mortals in Azusa. To highlight a few of the changes: Immortals now glow a faint white, Gods can now banish followers of themselves or their allied Gods, and Zeus is now playable! A bunch of game optimizations were made that should ensure stability, and Azusa's years now pass more slowly. Angels can now change the color of their wings, but were made mortal and now have a lifespan. Many more changes were made that I couldn't possibly iterate on here, so go explore the world of Azusa out yourself!

https://i.imgur.com/VhXBWtc.png Things have been heating up over on Sigrogana Legend 2 with the introduction of Salamandra, a new type of homunculus! While dangerous to create, this massive lizard has powerful pyrokinetic abilities, capable of igniting nearby surfaces and stripping magical protections from its foes! Also added were Chimera and Amalgama, homunculi that were artificially created through various and dangerous means, each hosting their own powerful features. In other news, a new area was created, called Albedo headquarters, that players can explore, and join the organization that owns it! Devourer of Souls and his dev team have been keeping busy, so bring a friend or two and come play!

https://i.imgur.com/J5WlMy9.png Wargames endeavors to beat you! Er, in the game, I mean. Acebloke decided to work a bit on Wargames' AI, making it a lot more logical in its moves against you, and apparently Acebloke himself, as the AI managed to whoop him in a full-scale battle! While the beginnings of a purely single-player experience are in sight, Acebloke says there is still some work to be done. Stay tuned for future changes, and to see if you can beat the amped-up AI!

https://i.imgur.com/9EzJZ0E.png Crazah's been nixing small issues and introducing purchasable housing in trace/ALTER! You can buy a hideout, a 3-story building, a restaurant, and your own personal headquarters in Cascade City, the last of which comes with prison cells! Players will now spawn with their own apartment, which they can upgrade and furnish to their heart's content. Aesthetics weren't the only thing on the developmental menu, though - skill trees for various magical abilities were added, with a host of new spells to learn and upgrade as your character earns experience fighting ALTERs! While still in early access, trace/ALTER allows you to channel the elements and take down the invading monstrosities of Cascade Valley! Go and join trace/ALTER's Discord server for future updates!

BYOND Resources

• F0lak took the time to explain how he implemented Steam Authentication in a snippets post!
  • Ter13 talked about Time, and what the best practices for tracking things over time were. Have a look and see if you can reduce your project's impact on the scheduler!
  • Eric Matyas hopes to keep your resources varied as he continues to upload free sound FX and images! Eric adds to these lists periodically, so keep an eye on those threads!
BYOND Discord
BYONDdiscord
Reddit
nice
ss13 is the only game people play
In response to NaawtU
NaawtU wrote:

I don't think you recognize the number of people, or the tens of thousands of hours of developmental work, that you demean when you say something like this.

The motivation demonstrated by the developers covered in this edition of Within BYOND alone showcases a level of drive and energy that few can match. The results of their countless hours of work should speak for themselves.

That you saw this post and, less than 10 minutes after it was posted, had nothing more to say than this says far more about you than BYOND's games or its userbase. Please take a second to consider the broader picture before you decide to say something so reductive.
In response to Spevacus
owned
In response to Froggit_Dogget
im want to say "No U', but... im just dont know what to say
In response to NaawtU
NaawtU wrote:

Have you checked out the "live" section of the Dream Seeker client? There's a lot more games being played than SS13.

In response to NaawtU
Every time I get an alert in Dream Seeker, I have to open the BYOND website manually, the link in Dream Seeker always leads to a broken link. Is this just a bug?

Anyways, nice to see some more people making it to STEAM.
In response to HartWing
Seems to be something to do with Chrome and the URL BYOND generates, I had the same issue but I don't get it in Firefox.
Geez.... everyones so sensitive on the modern BYOND. 🤷🏻
In response to NaawtU
NaawtU wrote:

Wargames is pretty good :(
In response to MistakeNot4892
Dang it, I thought I fixed that though. What version is that happening on?
In response to HartWing
sorry for offending all 7 people playing rise of the pirates
Glad to see these projects making substantial process - and it's nice to have new development resources, as those are far and few. Thanks for pulling them together, Spevacus!
Thank you for your work!
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Dang it, I thought I fixed that though. What version is that happening on?

If you are talking to me, it's happening on V5.1477
In response to HartWing
Version 512.1477 is way back. You're not even a little bit current. If you update the URL issue should go away.
In response to MorroXD
MorroXD wrote:
im want to say "No U', but... im just dont know what to say

Considering that was the only post Froggit has ever made on the forum, best to say nothing.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Version 512.1477 is way back. You're not even a little bit current. If you update the URL issue should go away.

Whoops. Yeah an update sure did fix that. Haha.
The Linux thing was obviously a joke, but that CEF/Chromium-Edge thing that was mentioned a while ago could make BYOND much more consistent on wine...