ID:2704927

Applies to:Installer

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
When switching versions, the longest part of the install process is to install directX despite the fact I already have directx installed so its just wasted time for no reason
That would go against recommended behavior for the redistributable, since the goal is to make sure DirectX installs any files it needs to.

However it seems like if you're looking to use another version for testing purposes, the easiest thing is just to download the .zip and unzip it to a directory somewhere. I do that all the time when I'm comparing code behavior to old versions.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
That would go against recommended behavior for the redistributable, since the goal is to make sure DirectX installs any files it needs to.

Couldn't you make it so if its already installed, and an update/downgrade is being installed, to have a checkbox to skip that step, but grey out/remove the checkbox otherwise?

I know msi can detect fresh install vs reinstall/update.

Could also add in storing a hash of the redistributable so when it changes it can't get skipped.
I'm not aware of any easy way to detect if DirectX is installed, unless I manually tell the installer to look for certain DLL files. But Microsoft's suggested practice with the redistributable is to always install, since it will handle the job of checking the files and seeing if they need to be updated automatically.
i mean if byond is already installed.

just check the sha hash of the directx installer files in program files/byond/directx when the install is an upgrade or reinstall/overwrite install.