ID:866717

I've been replaying the Final Fantasy Series(The main ones... not side series) and I've been thinking about how big the changes have been since the original 8-bit Final Fantasy... not just to graphics and gameplay, but characters... plots, they've really evolved in my opinion. I was wondering what the BYOND community thought some of the biggest changes were.

So i'm asking now, What do YOU think about the changes to the Final Fantasy series throughout the 25 years since it's creation? Which do you think are the most massive changes? Are they for the good or bad?

Ω Zan3 Ω
Do you mean 25 years? Final Fantasy I came out in 1987.
The best FF game was the 3rd/6th one imo. It just had so much character and thought put into it. It wasn't "Let's save the world using the power of crystals" or "I just wanna look cool for the 13 year-olds playing this".
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
Do you mean 25 years? Final Fantasy I came out in 1987.

Yeah... sorry, it was a typo. Thanks for pointing that out, I honestly didn't notice it until you said something.

Lugia319 wrote:
The best FF game was the 3rd/6th one imo. It just had so much character and thought put into it. It wasn't "Let's save the world using the power of crystals" or "I just wanna look cool for the 13 year-olds playing this".

I see. Well, I honestly prefer the originals... but I grew up playing them... so i'm a little biased. Which "FF" game would you say is your favorite..?
I started FF rather late, because my early years were all spent on Nintendo. This caused FFX to be my first FF game,and I instantly became addicted. I've since played FF 7, 8, 9, X-2, DoC(not that it truly counts), and 12. I've beaten 8, X, X-2, DoC, and gotten far into 12. 7 and 9 I've only gotten a bit into,9 because I haven't had it long, and 7 being because the encounter rate drives me insane.

I mention all this because it might make my opinion differ from the average, but FFX is probably my favorite. FF8 is a close second, though. I wasn't a big fan of X-2 or DoC, but they were okay. I think the biggest changes have come in 12, and from what I've heard 13. I think they have taken big risks in changing the game into a more MMO-like set up, and at the very least, 12 did not impress me.

I also feel that 12 lacked the quality of storyline I had come to expect from this series. Overall, my belief is that they are starting to focus on the graphics, and how much money they make too much and as a consequence have not been putting enough thought into the storyline and the length/variety of gameplay lately. Though, to be fair, that seems to be true of most games lately.

Quite sad really. FF use to be my top favorite game series, now it has fallen down one or two, and may continue to; especially if DLC starts influencing it too much as well and we have to pay for content we should have had from day one like we already have to with some other games.

Ah, and for an example for my point about the gameplay, FF12 may have had a lot of side quests and such but they were mostly just kill this for me or get that for me; a common factor in MMO's. FFX, on the other hand, had stuff like Blitzball, Chocobo Racing, Monster Capturing, and lots of side content for trying to gather the ultimate weapons.

Maybe 12 had a thing or two like this and I missed it, who knows, but that's a big change. Lack of side/extra content.
If I remember correctly, 12 did have a few like that... I haven't gotten to it yet, but it's on my list to replay. It's true that the plot and sidequests seem to have taken a step back in priorities for the developers... which is really sad, because it's one of the things I enjoyed most(given the graphics were great in the later ones. I mainly focus on the plot and gameplay of games though).

I also have to agree that it's turning more into a MMO... the "bounty" type quests are primarily showcased in MMO's...especially in the Fantasy genre. I've kind of been disappointed when I started comparing the older games' plots with the newer ones and how fun the sidequests are in my replay of the series... It really lacks in comparison(At least in my opinion) to the older ones in these departments... however I must say the graphics have greatly improved.

Final Fantasy is still my all time favorite, maybe because it's the first game I played and truly enjoyed... but yeah, still my #1.
The first Final fantasy game that I played was FF8, infact it was my very first rpg game ever. At first I didn't understand but the more I played the game the more I started liking it and I also had the guide aswell. I really like the fact that you could summon monster known as Gaurdian forces(GF in FF8), in FF10 they called it Aeon, fly airships, travel the world, and had a really good story line.

When FF9 came out there was changes graphic, battle system known as ATB(Active time Battle system)and made few changes in character delelopment because having the same system would be boring if they made all Final Fantasy game the same.

I was dissapointed with FF12 in my opinion. The reason is because they eliminated the classic turned based system which I'm been used to and I still have not beat the game. Infact I'm still in the very beggining.

FF13 has one of the best graphic in the Final fantasy series but due to this concept they eliminated a lot things such as free roam and flying airships. The story is to linear, the battle system was ok but I wish they could have giving player the ability to control all your party member like you did from 1-10. I have not played FF1-6 or any online final fantasy game but I'm guessing that from ff1-10 are all turned base system.

So my point in all of this is that there has been drastic changes through out the series and its hard aggree or dissaggree with someone about which is the best final fantasy game. Its a matter of favoritism because all final fantasy games are good. Its just that everyone has there own opinion about the game. But If you must know my favorite was ff8.
In response to Suzakou
Suzakou wrote:
The first Final fantasy game that I played was FF8, infact it was my very first rpg game ever. At first I didn't understand but the more I played the game the more I started liking it and I also had the guide aswell. I really like the fact that you could summon monster known as Gaurdian forces(GF in FF8), in FF10 they called it Aeon, fly airships, travel the world, and had a really good story line.

When FF9 came out there was changes graphic, battle system known as ATB(Active time Battle system)and made few changes in character delelopment because having the same system would be boring if they made all Final Fantasy game the same.

I was dissapointed with FF12 in my opinion. The reason is because they eliminated the classic turned based system which I'm been used to and I still have not beat the game. Infact I'm still in the very beggining.

FF13 has one of the best graphic in the Final fantasy series but due to this concept they eliminated a lot things such as free roam and flying airships. The story is to linear, the battle system was ok but I wish they could have giving player the ability to control all your party member like you did from 1-10. I have not played FF1-6 or any online final fantasy game but I'm guessing that from ff1-10 are all turned base system.

So my point in all of this is that there has been drastic changes through out the series and its hard aggree or dissaggree with someone about which is the best final fantasy game. Its a matter of favoritism because all final fantasy games are good. Its just that everyone has there own opinion about the game. But If you must know my favorite was ff8.

Yes, 1-6 had turn based game play. I agree with most of what you said and as I stated in the post... I just want to hear what the BYOND community has to think about the changes, how massive they were, which were the most drastic, and which each individual user who replies to this post think is better.